Shape Village

Started by MIGGO, Fri 22/10/2021 16:30:31

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGGO

Shape Village is now released!

Welcome to a surreal point and click adventure in Shape Village!

Shape Village is a remote community of cute characters composed of basic geometry. Beyond the veil of cuteness is, however, a dysfunctional social structure of bullying, loan-sharking, crime and oligarchy. Can it be changed for the better? Or are there even more sinister evils at work behind the scenes of reality itself?

You enter the scene as Coney, a romantic and sensitive idler, whose daily sojourn is interrupted by a seemingly harmless error. This leads Coney to mix in events that are either disastrous or constructive to the future of the village.

You, as a player, will make choices that will dictate the path of Coney and Shape Village. That path will lead to one of four different endings in the game!

Spoiler

Will you forge abstract art for the powers that be? Will you side with an oppressed worker against creditors? Will you escape the law or surrender? How will you answer the question: 'Fuss the harbor rave itself'? Could society be improved, perhaps, through a drink? Such choices and more.
[close]

Edit: Fixed a minor bug. It's now impossible to get infinite sheet music.

Update: Hotspot names are now displayed to lessen frustration!  :)

Here's a link for download: https://wavey-games.itch.io/shape-village
A link for the AGS database: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2573-shape-village

What is Palace Cheese?
A dodge move in Romanian swordplay.

CaptainD

This looks really nice! Congrats on the release.  ;-D

MIGGO

What is Palace Cheese?

Shadow1000

I played and got ending 3.

MIGGO

You villain!   8-0 No, really, thanks for playing! Are going to try and go for some of the other ones as well?
What is Palace Cheese?

Shadow1000

Quote from: Wavey Games on Mon 25/10/2021 12:58:02
You villain!   8-0 No, really, thanks for playing! Are going to try and go for some of the other ones as well?

Well

Spoiler
I didn't do anything wrong and next thing I know the cops were after me!
[close]

I assume that there's more than one solution to the different problems and the alternative solutions get you different endings? When the game finished I realized there were some tasks that were left incomplete.
Spoiler
such as finding the key to my house and getting that guy out of the cage
[close]

MIGGO

Spoiler
Tough luck, eh?  :-D
[close]

The way I see it: the story branches differently, on certain points, whether you choose to do a puzzle or not.

Spoiler
Indeed, if Coney gets arrested there's no longer need for the keys or helping Triangie in the cage.
[close]
What is Palace Cheese?

heltenjon

I played this and got ending number 1. Will definitely go for the other endings. As thugs go, these were quite endearing.  (laugh) I especially liked mixing drinks and coming up with combinations.

Even though I like the game mechanics and have no problems playing it, I think i would have preferred visible hotspots to see what is clickable. I wasn't 100% sure that only what I could look at was interactive, and ended up walking up to objects a lot when I tried to interact with them. (That's the Sierra vs Lucasarts debate again, yeah.)

Edit: I noticed later that the cursor "pulses" when over interaction points.

heltenjon

Replayed and got ending number 3. Very cool that
Spoiler
suddenly Coney was in the rooms from your first game! But am I right in thinking that Coney was the last piece missing, and that this ending wouldn't have happened without him? Or is this inevitable (in this universe)?
[close]

Edit: And got ending number 4, which I think perhaps answered what I asked in the spoiler above. But does that mean that
Spoiler
ending 1 will be followed by ending 4, eventually?
[close]

Edit again: Ending 2 still eludes me, but I bet it has to do with
Spoiler
what I choose to say to the robot in the dream. But so far only one choice makes a difference. Hmmm.
[close]
I also think I've figured out how the endings are connected. My theory is that
Spoiler
art saves the world. The painting needs to be done and perhaps redone again and again in order to keep the realities separate. That means that Coney saves his world in ending 1, without knowing it. So perhaps it's music's turn in the last ending?
[close]

MIGGO

Yes! Happy to see that you took up playing this game too, I appreciate it, thanks!

If I still manage to make another adventure game I'm definitely learning to script that visible hotspot thing, that gives the name of the hotspot. I usually prefer it too in games.

Your theories about the story
Spoiler
are correct. The Shape Monster will attack the village after ending 3 but this time with Coney by it's side, but I guess it's not strickly necessary for the universe, as Shape Monster will succeed also in ending 4 without Coney. I guess some of the endings became related to eachother this way and others exclude other endings. But these kinds of speculations are interesting so I don't really wanna step in and present some official, author certified, way of things! :D
[close]

As for ending 2
Spoiler
Your on the right track. It's propably just about the green puffs now. Two identical sets, hmm...  ;)
[close]
What is Palace Cheese?

heltenjon

Quote from: Wavey Games on Thu 18/11/2021 11:40:29
Yes! Happy to see that you took up playing this game too, I appreciate it, thanks!
Happy to oblige! It's fun, after all!  ;)
QuoteIf I still manage to make another adventure game I'm definitely learning to script that visible hotspot thing, that gives the name of the hotspot. I usually prefer it too in games.
That's easy compared to much of the other stuff you do!
QuoteAs for ending 2
Spoiler
Your on the right track. It's propably just about the green puffs now. Two identical sets, hmm...  ;)
[close]
Not exactly:
Spoiler
I've already found the sheet music, but haven't freed the guy in the cage. It doesn't seem to really change anything. The only way to advance time seems to be to sleep in Coney's house or the jail, triggering the paths to the known endings. Either there's something I've missed, or there is some way to escape ending 4 - it's possible to run away for a short while, but I don't think that's it.
[close]

Edit: Ending 2 achieved!

MIGGO

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 14/11/2021 18:30:09
Even though I like the game mechanics and have no problems playing it, I think i would have preferred visible hotspots to see what is clickable. I wasn't 100% sure that only what I could look at was interactive, and ended up walking up to objects a lot when I tried to interact with them. (That's the Sierra vs Lucasarts debate again, yeah.)

Yes! Took the time to make the GUI for this. I think the game plays better now. It was a chore to write all the descriptions for the hotspots from scratch so I'd been dragging out doing it. :P
What is Palace Cheese?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk