Gem Collector released

Started by elentgirl, Fri 29/10/2021 11:47:59

Previous topic - Next topic

elentgirl

Gem Collector is an arcade style game based loosely upon such classics as Heartlight and Boulder Dash.  I designed it originally as a mini-game for my adventure, The Garden of Hades.  After I had completed that, I thought it would be interesting to extend Gem Collector into a short stand-alone game with extra levels and challenges.

I didn't realise how difficult programming such a game would prove.  After two months of extensive testing and bug fixing, I fear that there are still a few lurking in odd corners, though hopefully none that will crash the game or prevent its being completed.  I hope that Gem Collector will give players an hour or two of enjoyment.

AGS database entry: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2574-gem-collector/

heltenjon

I have a backlog at the moment, but this old Boulder Dash player will definitely play this eventually. Looks very good!  (nod)

kconan

Kudos, I'm not surprised it was tricky programming this game in AGS.  I love Boulderdash, used to play it on my Atari 800xl back in the day, and this looks Boulderdash-ey.

Mandle

Quote from: kconan on Fri 29/10/2021 16:51:26
Kudos, I'm not surprised it was tricky programming this game in AGS.

Not to mention designing dozens of challenging levels. I enjoyed this in the original game. Elentgirl has outdone herself with this one.

elentgirl

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 29/10/2021 19:50:34
Not to mention designing dozens of challenging levels.
Don't over-sell it, Mandle!  :-D  It only has seven levels, but that took enough doing!

Cassiebsg

(nod) Congrats on the release. It's an awesome game, just my favorite type.  :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: elentgirl on Fri 29/10/2021 20:51:51
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 29/10/2021 19:50:34
Not to mention designing dozens of challenging levels.
Don't over-sell it, Mandle!  :-D  It only has seven levels, but that took enough doing!

Whoops! I saw the words "level:25" and misinterpreted the meaning. Seven is still awesome, and leaves room for expansion packs and/or sequels!

Ohhhh, how about a level-maker?! :-p

Behis1995

Great, I love these games!

elentgirl

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 29/10/2021 21:38:16
It's an awesome game.
A lot is down to your help!  (nod)  Many thanks.  :)

heltenjon

I'll try to portion this out and only give myself a few tries on a level each day. The game looks, sounds and plays just like a Boulderdash game should, and the levels seem intricately designed, giving me quite a challenge. Very well done and recommended for fans of this type of game or of casual puzzle games - this is just a step up in coordination from Candy Crush or the likes. (And I hope the future me won't post about some impossible last level. (laugh) )

ToeKnee

Congrats from another Boulderdash addicted player Elentgirl.
Tricky and nicely done to make you have to THINK and pre-setup some areas or you will get stuck.

Just to let you know there are some issues I have found in the programming for Level-3;
Spoiler
Level-3 has some issues with the MATRIX or way you store the available positioning and locations of objects i'm sorry to say
1. The boulders on the RIGHT HAND TOP side will disappear once they fall (although you still can't walk through them) and at times I have had them re-appear?
2. Other boulders are invisible (but you can roll boulders over the top of them and CANNOT walk through the space) so they are still 'there' (however this seems to be AFTER the above rocks have started a mismatch of positioning) 
3. Other boulders 'disappear' (they vanish and you CAN walk through their prior space) and have RE-APPEARED (however this also seems to be AFTER the above rocks have started a mismatch of positioning) 

Also, there does not seem to be a way to FINISH Level-3;
- On Level-3 dropping the BOMB by sliding it one place to the RIGHT to drop it through the gateway, can only hit the 'EDGE' of the closed cavern a the bottom (ensuing no boulders are above it of course) but the corner does NOT blow up or make a hole.... so there seems to be no way to proceed and open that cavern and get the gems and to the exit
[close]
If it’s not broken, let’s fix it till it is...!

Cassiebsg

Level 3 is finishable.  ;)

Here's a hint:
Spoiler

The bombs only explode when they hit a *hard* surface.

Hope that's enough of a clue.  ;)
[close]

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

elentgirl

Quote from: ToeKnee on Sun 07/11/2021 14:44:51
Just to let you know there are some issues I have found in the programming for Level-3;
I'm sory that you encountered these problems.  Two of us spend a good few weeks trying to iron out all the glitches!  :-\
Is there any chance that you could PM me either screenshots or more precise details of where you found the bugs, so that I can try to replicate them and eliminate them?

WHAM

Somehow I am also reminded of Supaplex, along with Boulderdash. Always fun to see people do something out of the norm with the AGS engine!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

heltenjon

Out of all the seven levels, I think level six was my favourite. All the levels add a new puzzle to solve, And now my daughter and her friends are playing it a lot!  (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk