MAGS November "Morning" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Thu 04/11/2021 03:18:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Topic: "Morning"
Set by: heltonjon

No entries this month.

â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"

Ahh, mornings! They are delightful and calm starts of the days...except if you are a vampire who needs to reach your coffin before the sun rises. Or if you need to get everyone ready for school, kindergarten and work and time is running out. Or if you are on a planet with multiple suns where there may be a small morning before the big one. Or if you are a hobbit, not expecting a wizard and a bunch of dwarves turning up for breakfast.

How will you get ready for the day?

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

cat

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 04/11/2021 03:18:53
Or if you need to get everyone ready for school, kindergarten and work and time is running out.
Genre: Horror  :P

This sounds like a job for Elia.

heltenjon

Quote from: cat on Thu 04/11/2021 07:22:21
Quote from: Stupot on Thu 04/11/2021 03:18:53
Or if you need to get everyone ready for school, kindergarten and work and time is running out.
Genre: Horror  :P

This sounds like a job for Elia.

This one was indeed one of the games I thought about when I chose the topic. I think Lorenzo nailed it pretty good.  (nod)

Mandle

I am on a new computer trying to update it to Windows 10 and install AGS again etc...

I have an old idea rattling around in my brain since I was 15 years old and running a paper route to try to save up enough for a C64... Once i finally got the C64 I saw that 64k was nowhere near enough to make my game idea possible...

Maybe now a slightly different version of it might be possible:

We Meet At Dawn

heltenjon

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 05/11/2021 08:44:06
I am on a new computer trying to update it to Windows 10 and install AGS again etc...

I have an old idea rattling around in my brain since I was 15 years old and running a paper route to try to save up enough for a C64... Once i finally got the C64 I saw that 64k was nowhere near enough to make my game idea possible...

Maybe now a slightly different version of it might be possible:

We Meet At Dawn

I hope you're still in, now that you've got your computer up and running.  (nod) The title is ambigious, but sounds very good. Could have been a Western.  :-D

Even though it's my topic, I'm out this month. I don't have the time, and my basic ideas require a different skill set than mine, as well.

Mandle

Yes, I am in and have set my basic game design in AGS Editor, which I have now got working again.
Khris, the legend that he is, provided the code I needed to get the concept off the ground.

Stupot

How’s it going? Anyone else in?

Stupot

No entries this month.

I know Mandle gave it a good go, but real life had other plans.

I do hope everyone will consider having a go in December (topic to be announced shortly).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk