Crepe Fields: A Scare Among Crows

Started by Danvzare, Mon 29/11/2021 17:11:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Crepe Fields: A Scare Among Crows

Click here to download.

Summary:
A soft reboot of Blooded Fields.

There's been another murder in the quaint little coastal town of Beckenshire, and since the local detective isn't around, you've been called in to solve it as your first case since being made detective.

Hunt down clues, interrogate witnesses and suspects, and form a theory as to who the murderer is, before finally giving your notes to your mentor to confirm your suspicions.

Details:

• Two-click interface: left-click to interact, right-click to examine.
  • Fully voice acted.
  • Unique 6-colour palette, loosely inspired by amber monochrome screens.
  • Contains strong themes.
  • Completable within four hours.

Specs:
320 x 200
32 bit color!
d3d

Rincewind

I missed out on the original, but I'm really liking the monochrome look, and the detective gameplay sounds great! Definitely going on my "to-play"-list.

morganw

Is this the original game slightly modified, or the original game slightly modified with an extension to make it longer, or something meant to stand-alone as being entirely new?

Danvzare

Quote from: morganw on Wed 01/12/2021 17:14:56
Is this the original game slightly modified, or the original game slightly modified with an extension to make it longer, or something meant to stand-alone as being entirely new?
All of the above.
I'm really not kidding. I find it hard to classify.

I've put the next bit in spoiler tags, because it can kinda ruins the mystery.
Spoiler
Essentially it's a remake or a retelling. But it's also technically a sequel. Hence why I referred to it as a soft reboot in the description. If you've played the original, you'll see some things repeated. But if you complete the game, you'll see why they're repeated.
[close]

Nr. 2698

I am honored that you dug up our old game and modified it.

However, it is a stab in the heart that you used the graphics for the second part, which are unreleased and for which I worked on for days, without any consultation.

The second part would not have been shelved yet and I had to complete this in addition to a larger project.

To be honest, stealing other people's art, even if you think the project won't go on, is the last

Babar

Ooohh...yikes. I thought this was done in collaboration with Nr. 2698. If not, that's a bit...not nice. I mean, the art (that I can see from the screenshots) is basically his, except palette-swapped. Am I misunderstanding something?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Danvzare

Quote from: Nr. 2698 on Thu 02/12/2021 18:01:27
I am honored that you dug up our old game and modified it.

However, it is a stab in the heart that you used the graphics for the second part, which are unreleased and for which I worked on for days, without any consultation.

The second part would not have been shelved yet and I had to complete this in addition to a larger project.

To be honest, stealing other people's art, even if you think the project won't go on, is the last

Sorry about that, but I hadn't heard anything about it in years, and I thought it would be a waste of some good artwork, not to mention that you hadn't even been on the AGS Forums since the beginning of this year.
I made sure to credit you, not only in the game, but also the database entry. I even made it very clear that I was using unused artwork from that sequel in the description of this very thread. All to give credit where credit is due.
Not only that, but I made sure to not outright contradict any plans for that sequel. As a matter of fact, one of the first lines in the game sets it up so that you could still make that sequel with that same artwork if you wanted to.

I thought that all three of us had a share in the game, because we all worked on it together, and that it would be acceptable to use the artwork, considering everything I've just said.
By the way, I may have not credited you in the database entry Babar, but I made sure to credit you in the game for doing the programming on the original game.

But if it offends you that much, I'll gladly take down the game for you.

I just thought it would be a nice surprise for the anniversary of our game.  :~(

Nr. 2698

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 02/12/2021 19:15:48

Exactly that, thank you!

And I don't want this game to be published on platforms like Gamejolt or ich.io either.
Whether you acted out of ignorance, naivety or malicious intent, it is and will remain a copyright infringement.

I would like to decide for myself how my graphics are used.

You would have had the option to ask me whether you can use the graphics or not. You could have reached me here by email, email or Facebook.

Then you could have agreed different options.

Regards,
Nr. 2698

arj0n

Ouch... that must be a painful mistake.

Spoiler

But when offering a game on platforms like itch/GJ while said game contains someone else's material without having permission to use it, why leaving the option 'Name your price' enabled?
[close]

Danvzare

Quote from: Nr. 2698 on Thu 02/12/2021 20:46:47
Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 02/12/2021 19:15:48

Exactly that, thank you!

And I don't want this game to be published on platforms like Gamejolt or ich.io either.
Whether you acted out of ignorance, naivety or malicious intent, it is and will remain a copyright infringement.

I would like to decide for myself how my graphics are used.

You would have had the option to ask me whether you can use the graphics or not. You could have reached me here by email, email or Facebook.

Then you could have agreed different options.

Regards,
Nr. 2698

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I'll remove all of the download links as soon as possible(hopefully as soon as I've posted this, but I'm not on my computer, I'm on a public one, so we'll see. Worst case scenario, I'll have them down in 7 hours).

I'll then get to work replacing all of the offending artwork with my own personal artwork that I will make from scratch, and reinstate the download links.

The fact that you not only could believe that I was acting maliciously, but also want me to remove the game because your artwork is in it, truly showcases the kind of person you are.
I tried to make a nice surprise for everyone, most notably you and Babar, and instead I'm stabbed in the back.
I would personally have been over the moon had someone done the same for me. Especially if I had worked with them before. But I suppose I shouldn't have presumed that we had any kind of friendship after working on a game together.

Since you have prohibited me from using any of your artwork, I am prohibiting you from using or making reference to any characters or events in either Blooded Fields or Crepe Fields, since I am credited for the story, puzzles, and dialog, and therefore they belong to me. (Babar, you can still use them. I like you.)
Also, since you are so keen on copyright, I will be informing the two youtubers whose music you stole without permission and didn't credit. While the music may be in the public domain, those particular renditions are not. For proof of this, look no further than Snow White, while the story is in the public domain, the Disney movie is not.

I am once again sorry for offending you.

Edit:
All removed.
And in case you're wondering, according to GameJolt and Itch, there was a total of 45 downloads.
Also, for some reason the screenshot won't change when I replace it on the database entry. Hopefully it's just because I need to clear my cache or something. I just thought you should know.

Nr. 2698

I have taken note that the relevant links have been removed. This was confirmed to me today by the Game Jolt team, also. Thank you for understanding.

I would also like to underline that it is up to everyone what they are happy about.

I am not excited. You ruined the second part with your "surprise". And that out of pure selfishness.
In addition, you have no respect for my work. There is at least a week of work in the background of the second part.

And not enough that you use my art without being asked, you now also claim the story, etc.

The truth is, I wrote most of the story and a lot of the puzzles for both parts.
Your job was to bring the idea together and come up with relevant puzzles and write the dialogues.

Which ideas come from you here can be easily reconstructed using the design sheets, if necessary.

I want to turn the tables now and don't want you to take over these ideas from the sheets and also no longer pursue my game idea.

Danvzare

Quote from: Nr. 2698 on Fri 03/12/2021 16:32:52
I have taken note that the relevant links have been removed. This was confirmed to me today by the Game Jolt team, also. Thank you for understanding.

I would also like to underline that it is up to everyone what they are happy about.

I am not excited. You ruined the second part with your "surprise". And that out of pure selfishness.
In addition, you have no respect for my work. There is at least a week of work in the background of the second part.

And not enough that you use my art without being asked, you now also claim the story, etc.

The truth is, I wrote most of the story and a lot of the puzzles for both parts.
Your job was to bring the idea together and come up with relevant puzzles and write the dialogues.

Which ideas come from you here can be easily reconstructed using the design sheets, if necessary.

I want to turn the tables now and don't want you to take over these ideas from the sheets and also no longer pursue my game idea.
Wow, you really are a horrible person aren't you. I still have the forum messages and the Facebook messages to prove the involvement I had. You basically contributed the premise and nothing else. I tried my best to make it as much as your idea as possible, but it was like trying to get blood from a rock.
To make this public record, this is the first message you sent me about your idea after rejecting Black Friday:

Quote from: Nr. 2698 on Sat 03/11/2018 20:24:03
Hey Ho,

sorry for responding so late..had a load to do the last days.

Im not so happy with your story.
Its a good idea behind, but i have to say its very inconsistent and in places confusing (for expample the changes between characters) and implausible (a moving scarecrow is hard to imagine) and its very long.
Besides its very effortful to realize that, also within a month.

The plot is the easiest to find the most difficult to me is to create funny puzzles. This is the heart of adventure gaming.

I have a idea for a plot, let me know what youre thinking about it.
I like to hold it very simple and reduced with the bare necessities.
Animations and backgrounds needs very long time.

Irs slightly inspired by your work and we can hold your working title Black Friday.
Its more a criminal game.

Prologue:
There is a corpse found nearly nude in the field.
Investigator .... is coming at dusk and examine the corpse

Maingame:
Traces are very rarely and nobody knows who it is.
Near the corpse is a scarecrow while looking on it character is just saying:
"A scarecrow". Left the screen there is a map, which leads to a manor house.
Youre immediatly in the room of the owner and character questions about the corpse.
In one question he says there was a stranger women seen by the farmer.

Viola next location opens on map.
The barn where the farmer is living is open and the murder has hung the death clothes under the clothes of the scarecrow.

Within the game are dialogues to make with farmer and the owner of a manor.
Items to find or to prepare and confront the guys with that.
Maybe cigarrets was found who the farmer is smoking also.

While the story investigator comes behind, that the women wasnt a stranger to both.

In the end was the manor owner the murder because its a half daughter and he was removing her because he dont wanted the flaw to her.

In terms of puzzles, I know you came up with the binoculars part. And I'm fairly sure you came up with the newspaper. The rest was more or less me, or a combination of us.
The only concrete thing we got out of the sequel was that it going to be about a smuggling operation in Malta. You had an idea about a shopkeeper in a crate, but I think you scrapped that. I really REALLY tried to get the ball rolling with that game as well, even spit balling all sorts of ideas to spark inspiration. But we were getting nowhere, and when Babar stopped responding, it pretty much died. If anyone wants the entire conversations, just ask, and I'll send you them so you can make your own decision. Or just ask Babar. He's probably a better person to ask about all of this considering he's a neutral third party.

But that's besides the point. I've removed the game for you, after you deliberately made me feel bad for doing what I considered a good thing. I was understandably salty afterwards, but after sleeping on it, I was actually going to apologize for my outburst, but instead I find out that you are maliciously harassing me. You are a horrible person, and I regret not only collaborating with you on Blooded Fields, but also making this game which was supposed to be something that would bring joy.

You have no regard for the time and effort I have put into this game or Blooded Fields. And if using someone elses artwork without permission is truly that evil of a thing, please harass all of the fangames on this site instead. At least I was involved in the creation of Blooded Fields.

Also, did you even bother to play the game?

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to start an AGS Games in Production Thread where I intend to post my current progress on the new graphics. I will not be reading any of your messages from now on.

Once again, I am sorry for offending you. But that doesn't give you the excuse to harass me.

If someone could please lock this thread until I have finished the new graphics, that would be swell.  :-D

Stupot

This could have been approached in a much more grown-up way via PM.

LimpingFish

I'm locking this thread because personal grievances should really be kept to PMs, and there was really no need to make this disagreement a matter of public discourse.

Update 21/12/21: Thread unlocked by request.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Danvzare

Thanks for unlocking the thread LimpingFish. Sorry everyone for what happened.
But hey, the game's been released with new artwork now, so I hope you all enjoy it.  :-D

The first screenshot hasn't changed for me yet, but I'm not sure if that's because I need to clear my internet history or the server just needs time to update. Either way, it's all done.

Rik_Vargard

Spoiler

So I think I got killed by the killer?
When I go back to the farm and the scarecrow shows up?
Since I didn't find all the clues?

Because of the "The end?" message?

Or is it a cliffhanger ending? To be continued?

:P
[close]

Danvzare

Quote from: Rik_Vargard on Thu 23/12/2021 17:46:53
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
Yep, that's how it ends.
It's supposed to be a reference to old horror movies, and it leaves it open for a possible sequel in the future.
If you find both secret clues, you do get a tiny bit extra if you want some sort of closure, such as whether or not Crepe dies at the end.
[close]

Rik_Vargard

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 23/12/2021 19:05:54
Quote from: Rik_Vargard on Thu 23/12/2021 17:46:53
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
Yep, that's how it ends.
It's supposed to be a reference to old horror movies, and it leaves it open for a possible sequel in the future.
If you find both secret clues, you do get a tiny bit extra if you want some sort of closure, such as whether or not Crepe dies at the end.
[close]

Spoiler
Well I sure hope there will be one. I had great fun :)
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk