MAGS December "Gift Trouble" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/12/2021 01:23:21

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite game of MAGS December?

Gifting Spirit by Pax Amino
3 (33.3%)
Santa Clause in A Flight to Remember by OneDollar
6 (66.7%)
Knorrig the Gifted Troublemaker by Pogwizd
0 (0%)
A caixa by Cassiebsg
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: Tue 18/01/2022 01:43:13

Stupot

Topic: Gift Trouble
Set by: heltonjon

The winner of MAGS December was:
Santa Claus in A Flight to Remember
by OneDollar.

Play that and all the other entries from the table below.

Gifting Spirit
by Pax Amino
Santa Claus in A Flight to Remember
by OneDollar
Knorrig the Gifted Troublemaker
by Pogwizd
A caixa
by Cassiebsg

Gifts can cause so much trouble. Whether it is a holiday gift, a friendship gift or a birthday present, so much can go wrong! For instance, how can you find the perfect gift? What happens when gifts are mixed up? What if you can't afford buying the gift you want? Sometimes it may be hard to deliver, or even to receive a gift? How can you get rid of an unwanted gift? Is it okay to rid yourself of your trash by gifting it? How can you change or complain about a gift without insulting the giver?

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

VampireWombat

I'll see if I can actually succeed in making something. A cursed gift could definitely work for several possibilities.

Intense Degree

Hey, nice festive theme!

It's been a while since I did any game making, this could be a nice one to try and get back in on. No promises, but I already have an idea or two...  (nod)

Ponch

Nice theme!

I have some time off coming up, so I'm going to try to make a MAGS game. I mean, what else can I do? Spend time with me family?  :wink:

ZapZap

I have an idea and it's been a while, I hope I get enough time this month!
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

heltenjon

I don't have any free time coming up, quite the opposite. But if I manage to draft my kids into doing the artwork for me, perhaps we can make a family project. I have the basic idea in place.

Pax Animo

Seasonal Greetings.

I'd love to patriciate in this event and have already started drafting something out. One question though, can asset packs be used, I've had a quick look through some posts regarding using assets but didn't find a decisive answer.

Cheers. 
Misunderstood

Stupot

Thanks for all the interest so far. This has really lifted my spirits.

It’s worth mentioning that, though the topic is about gifts, and we are in December, the games do not have to be about Christmas if you don’t want them to be.

Quote from: Pax Animo on Fri 03/12/2021 21:25:39
One question though can asset packs be used, I've had a quick look through some posts regarding using assets but didn't find a decisive answer.
Yep, you can assume, unless otherwise stated, that it’s okay to use pre-existing assets. There used to be a rule against it but we phased it.

Pax Animo

@Stupot

That's good to know, thank you.

Hopefully I can hit the deadline. It will also mark a personal achievement for me, first game release.
Misunderstood

Cassiebsg

Good luck to all who decides to give it a go.  :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Kastchey

I have very little time nowadays but if someone could use a little help, like a title screen, character portraits or a single background for a one room game, send me a PM :)

eri0o

I will probably only have free time back next year, but I am trying to come up with something that I can develop in a short time that fits the theme for this mags. Still hasn't figured something proper yet. :)

DBoyWheeler

Oh to be able to do these again...

But the idea of a "hard to deliver" gift... hmm... I could see some treacherous terrain being the obstacles for delivering a Christmas gift.

Anywho, good luck to those participating.

heltenjon

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Sun 05/12/2021 12:49:14
Oh to be able to do these again...

But the idea of a "hard to deliver" gift... hmm... I could see some treacherous terrain being the obstacles for delivering a Christmas gift.

Anywho, good luck to those participating.

A "hard to deliver" gift could indeed be a game about the bold post(wo)man who braves the forces of nature to deliver a package to someone living on a mountain ledge...I can see Donald Duck Cola Skunkette in that role.  :-D Or it could simply be finding and tracking down someone who has an unknown address, or perhaps the to and from is unreadable, so the player has to match the gift to the right person.

Shadow1000

After a few dry months it looks like we've got some serious participation this month! I look forward to playing, voting and posting dumb comments. Good luck to all!

Cassiebsg

I've got a small idea... so now it's a matter of having the free time (and at least I have 2 weeks free by the end of the month, so there's a good chance) and get some good puzzle ideas. Then it might turn into a game.  (nod)

stylez75

I like the MAG Dec,

Sadly I will not be able to work on my idea for this because of real-life holiday work orders. Although if anyone wants to take this idea and run with it. I can do my best to help support the graphics department.

Name The Giving Box.  - Or whatever

Concept:
        The last ten days till Christmas. Players will log into the game and get a chance to open the AGS box. This will be based on Real-Life days. Players will be asked a question based on the past year of questions being asked on the AGS forums. If the player can answer the question correctly. The box will open and give them a Random gift to open.  The gifts will be displayed on the floor of the room and at the end of the month, all players can take screenshots and share the gifts that they got from the AGS box.

At the end of the year. Players can post screenshots of the items they got that are displayed in the room.
GiveBox" border="0

Room Images in the link below. Just send a PM if you need help with gifts etc..
https://easyupload.io/kcpsjw

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 05/12/2021 14:27:17

A "hard to deliver" gift could indeed be a game about the bold post(wo)man who braves the forces of nature to deliver a package to someone living on a mountain ledge...I can see Donald Duck Cola Skunkette in that role.  :-D Or it could simply be finding and tracking down someone who has an unknown address, or perhaps the to and from is unreadable, so the player has to match the gift to the right person.

The Cola Skunkette is named Panphila Baniliakola.  But thanks for thinking of her.

Cassiebsg

Well, my vague idea has blossomed into a small story. And I have enlisted help for puzzle designing!
So guess I'm in!  :)

Pogwizd

Together with my wife, we’ve got a nice idea for a game and will try to turn it into sth playable by the end of the month.

Given how little time we’ve got at the moment, it may be silly to participate, but hey â€" we’re in :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk