MAGS December "Gift Trouble" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/12/2021 01:23:21

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite game of MAGS December?

Gifting Spirit by Pax Amino
3 (33.3%)
Santa Clause in A Flight to Remember by OneDollar
6 (66.7%)
Knorrig the Gifted Troublemaker by Pogwizd
0 (0%)
A caixa by Cassiebsg
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: Tue 18/01/2022 01:43:13

OneDollar

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 17/12/2021 00:52:14
Alan saves Birthdays?  :-D
I guess Alan's birthday is in 3 days time... and I made that game 14 years ago 8-0

When did I become old?

Kitty Trouble

Random question, is MAGS limited in scope to adventure games? Or are non-adventure games made in AGS allowed?

Cassiebsg

non adventure are welcome as well.

The 2 main restrictions on this competition are: Needs to be made with AGS and fit the theme somehow...  :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Pogwizd

I haven't posted anything lately but the game is still in works. We flew back home for Christmas hoping to have a little bit of time, but instead of coding/drawing we have been mainly gift shopping... (I hate that bit of Christmas).

We are still in, though. Most probably the last days of December will be a proper crunch time for us  :-D

heltenjon

Quote from: Pogwizd on Thu 23/12/2021 10:23:23
(...) but instead of coding/drawing we have been mainly gift shopping... (I hate that bit of Christmas).
Ah, research!  (laugh)

Retro Wolf

It's been almost 3 years since I've released something.

[imgzoom]https://i.postimg.cc/NfKWPXxp/argon.png[/imgzoom]

It will be definitely be finished, might not make it for the competition deadline though.

100% Story based, multiple choice.
As Captain of the Argon, you have been tasked with delivering a mysterious cargo container.
Randomly generate your crew appearance from a selection of 100+ AI generated faces!

I used this to help make the faces: https://artflow.ai/

OneDollar

I was hoping to get this finished before Christmas, but predictably everything took longer than I hoped it would. Hopefully you've all got some Christmas spirit left in you...

Santa Claus in...
A Flight To Remember

Release thread: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=59660.0
Database entry: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2587-santa-claus-in-a-flight-to-remember/

Cassiebsg

I've had less time than I had hoped to work on this.  :-\
So right now all I can say is: I'll either deliver a demo (if I can get the 1st puzzle bug free) or will have to pass on having something worth showing tomorrow. :~(

Pogwizd

I am happy to announce that our game, Knorrig the Gifted Troublemaker, is ready and fully playable : ) I will release it tomorrow after we upload to the project some last bits and bobs like credits and title screens.

Am I right to think that the deadline is by tomorrow (so including 31st)?

heltenjon

My daughters (10 and 12) are drawing, but we're not trying to meet the deadline. Our game will be finished when it is finished, but we _will_ make something and release it.

Stupot

It’s going to be a couple of days before I’m able to find time to rig up the voting, so if anyone needs an extra day or two, that’s fine.

Look out for January’s topic, coming soon.

Pogwizd

Alright... after three weeks of sharing one laptop, one baby, and doing all the Covid-paperwork and taking all safety measures in order to fly back home, as well as surviving Christmas, I would like to present you

Knorrig the Gifted Troublemaker
Who said having a pet piggie is a bad idea? Well, you did. Just now. It's 10 minutes before the festive dinner and you find yourself in a pickle thanks to your pet. Or should we say 'pigle'. The lovely gift for your sister is gone. Will you manage to get it back in time?

Manual:
You control Timur, the main character, with mouse using only left mouse button. The right button is used only to click out from menus or to display inventory descriptions.
In settings, there is an option to disable mouse highlights when hovering over interactive hotspots - the game is rather short, so this way you may try to challenge yourself a bit : )

Link:https://lazy-squirrel.itch.io/knorrig-the-gifted-troublemaker

Enjoy! :)

Cassiebsg

Okay then, I just need to debug the one puzzle our game has, and I can deliver a demo entry.
So I'm taking the "extra day or two" extension.  (nod)

Cheers and happy new year.

Edit: Okay, I think I got all done and sorted out. Game is uploaded to Mediafire and screenshot is created... I'm just waiting for my partner in crime to give the "go ahead and post it" msg. As I want to be sure the puzzle now works as it should.  :) So hopefully it won't be too long before I post it.

EDIT 2:
Here's our entry! :)

Sandra T. Almeida & Elen Heart present:

A caixa

A box is delivered at the front door. Intrigued by it Roger picks it and decides  to check it.
But when he opens it, he gets more questions than answers!

Can you help Roger get the answers he seeks?

This entry is but a small demo at this moment, but hope it piques your interest anyway. :)
Only one puzzle to solve. You will get a clear message when you have reached the end of the Demo.
Enjoy!

Download link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/yb6mn0zp3ja3h4q/A_caixa.zip/file

Ponch

Well, despite a crazy crunch on Saturday, I only have 2/3 of a game done. So this one joins all the other "almost games" in my distressingly overstuffed MAGS projects folder.

Congrats to the other teams that were able to get their games together in time.  :cheesy:

Stupot

Thanks to everyone for your entries. They all look fantastic.
It's now time to play the games and vote for your favourite one.

Vote using the poll above.

Gifting Spirit
by Pax Amino
Santa Clause in A Flight to Remember
by OneDollar
Knorrig the Gifted Troublemaker
by Pogwizd
A caixa
by Cassiebsg

Thanks again to everyone who made something, even if you weren't able to finish it by the deadline. Your participation really means a lot.

heltenjon

Here's some feedback:

Gifting Spirit by Pax Amino:
Spoiler
This was a lot of fun! At first, it seems like the list of stuff to do is impossibly long, but after a while you figure out how to do the tasks and it becomes more of a race to do stuff in the correct order and not run out of time. Besides the adventure parts, there are also object  hunts that remind me of those casual Find the Object games. At first I hadn't discovered that I could run by double clicking. The game was a bit easier after I read the instructions properly. The theme is well applicated by all the gifts the protagonist has to get hold of.
[close]

Santa Clause in A Flight to Remember by OneDollar:
Spoiler
Very polished entry with amusing Easter eggs and good-looking graphics and animation. Good and clear usage of the theme. I liked the puzzles very much. They were logical and amusing. (And I secretly want a sequel starring the goose.) Above all, the humour made me laugh a lot when playing this game.
[close]

Knorrig the Gifted Troublemaker by Pogwizd and his wife:
Spoiler
Humour again wins the day. The puzzles are moderate to easy, but still very fun to solve. Good pixel art and strong writing - the characters are given personality even in such a short story.
[close]

A caixa by Cassiebsg and Elen Heart:
Spoiler
This may be a one-puzzle demo, but that puzzle is hard, at least for me, who seemingly lack the ability to think in three dimensions. So there is a bit of a challenge here. The top view is unusual, but kind of cool. I'm starting to wonder if the box in the title is the house, rather than the one delivered to Roger's door. The game looks _very_ nice!
[close]

I haven't decided which game to vote for yet. All the games are good, so it will be down to choosing among puzzles, characters and scope.

Shadow1000

What a terrific turnout! I really enjoyed playing these games. Here are my thoughts:

Gifting Spirit by Pax Amino:
Spoiler
This game has EVERYTHING! Simple number matching to inventory puzzles to money management and most of all, TIME management. You will want to keep playing this over and over to get a better score each time as you solve more tasks and realize that some things have to be done by a deadline or before other tasks. There is an incredible amount packed into this seemingly simple children's Christmas game.
[close]

I believe I played it 7 times and got a lot done. I did not complete the game with a perfect score but I really enjoyed the experience.

Santa Clause in A Flight to Remember by OneDollar:
Spoiler
VERY impressive entry: graphics are stunning, the story is hilarious and the puzzles are far more sophisticated than the average MAGS entry. I have to confess that I did NOT just breeze through the puzzles so every time I got a bit further I said "Oh YEAHH!!!" in joy. I noticed that almost everything you click or combine has clear and detailed responses.
[close]

Knorrig the Gifted Troublemaker by Pogwizd:
Spoiler
Well-done pixel art and animation. Lovely Christmas music and some fun puzzles. I had a lot of chuckles while playing. Thanks for accommodating the colour puzzle!
[close]

A caixa by Cassiebsg and Elen Heart:
Spoiler
- Graphics: I found the top-down view to be a bit hard to follow. I would not recommend making a complete game like this. Perhaps if there's part of a game where you need to see the big picture at once then a bird's-eye view would be appropriate. Otherwise I'd rather just see what I need to see for whatever I'm doing in the game. The art for the puzzle and essentially the "demo over" art is GORGEOUS and certainly looks like Elen's amazing art we've enjoyed in the past!
- Puzzle: not my speed. Could be other players like this kind of thing?

The concept behind the game is intriguing and once I got past the puzzle I really wanted to know what happens next, so the demo is successful in that sense. I hope this game is developed into a full release!

Oh, and I like that the title is in Portuguese :)
[close]

Voting for this contest was not easy because
Spoiler
Gifting Spirit and Flight to Remember are just so outstanding. I like the fact that Gifting Spirit has such a variety of things to do and to be honest, I can't think of anything I've played quite like it. Flight to remember is more of a standard AGS game but incredibly strong in terms of puzzle design, concept, story and art.

Ultimately, I had to ask myself which game I enjoyed more overall while playing and I told myself that Flight to Remember was just that much more enjoyable so it got my vote
[close]

Really good competition and it made my holiday season (which was actually extremely difficult) a bit more cheerful for a few hours. Thank you and congrats to all entries.

Slasher

4 entries this month.. not bad...

Will play all when I can.

Well done guys  (nod)

Ponch

Just finished playing all the games. Voted! Well done, everyone.  :cheesy:

Stupot

The winner of MAGS December is:
Santa Claus in A Flight to Remember
by OneDollar.

Well done OD. I’ll be in touch soon about choosing a topic for February.

I gotta say, all the entries look amazing. Well done to everyone who entered. I hope you will all join us for February. Look out for the new topic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk