Ossuarium - a grisly medieval tale with sprinkles of graveyard humor

Started by Honza, Mon 06/12/2021 01:01:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Honza

In medieval Bohemia, Marie and Jakub struggle to escape a terrible curse - but their futures have already been written. A dark medieval comedy we made with Hitohai for AdvXJam2021.

Music by Asia Cybele & Adam Halpin
Sounds found at freesound.org

Check it out here: Itch page | AGS database

heltenjon

This is one of the best games in the jam. Those graphics really set the mood for the 1300s! The game isn't hard puzzle-wise, but it's very good storytelling. Can't really say what I liked the most without potentially spoiling it.  ;)

Honza

Quote from: heltenjon on Mon 06/12/2021 02:42:08
This is one of the best games in the jam. Those graphics really set the mood for the 1300s! The game isn't hard puzzle-wise, but it's very good storytelling. Can't really say what I liked the most without potentially spoiling it.  ;)

Thank you, happy to hear the story worked for you! I also don't want to spoil it (tried to avoid that in the screenshots too), but feel free to use a spoiler tab ;).

Shadow1000

I played this game last night. It was a really good experience: outstanding graphics and mood; the music actually got my pulse racing to keep on going! everything was just perfectly done for what it is. As Jon said, the strength is not the puzzles but the storytelling and that aspect is completely aced. I would see the puzzles as a way of making the story more interactive than just sitting back and watching.

MIGGO

Loved it! Not much I can add what hasn't been said already. I agree with the praise! I might add that the language fit the period real well and I enjoyed how you played around with the old English. I think that the story was so well written that a very difficult puzzle might have interrupted it too much, the easy puzzles paced it nicely. What luck that you came by such fitting music! The game was also just the right length for a cup of coffee.  :)
What is Palace Cheese?
A dodge move in Romanian swordplay.

Honza

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 09/12/2021 18:47:41
I played this game last night. It was a really good experience: outstanding graphics and mood; the music actually got my pulse racing to keep on going! everything was just perfectly done for what it is. As Jon said, the strength is not the puzzles but the storytelling and that aspect is completely aced. I would see the puzzles as a way of making the story more interactive than just sitting back and watching.
Quote from: Wavey Games on Mon 13/12/2021 10:05:24
Loved it! Not much I can add what hasn't been said already. I agree with the praise! I might add that the language fit the period real well and I enjoyed how you played around with the old English. I think that the story was so well written that a very difficult puzzle might have interrupted it too much, the easy puzzles paced it nicely. What luck that you came by such fitting music! The game was also just the right length for a cup of coffee.  :)

Thanks for the kind words guys, happy you enjoyed the story! The amazing Asia Cybele made the music for us, check out her stuff here - "Ritualia" and "Sonus Somniferi" are from Ossuarium, "Once Upon a Time remix" was intended for the game but didn't make the cut. We also used a track by Adam Halpin (one he originally made for Truth be Trolled) for the menu screen.

Oh and by the way, a new version of the game (v1.2) is out! There is a brand new puzzle in the first scene, so Marie has a little more to do now. If anyone has downloaded the game but not played yet, please get the new version - apart from the extra puzzle, it should be a bit more polished overall.

Rik_Vargard

Very nice little game.
Smart and funny storytelling
Great graphics and animations that really feel medieval and the music made it even more immersive; I'll have that child's singing voice in my head for a while.
A fair puzzle difficulty that lets you enjoy the ambient, that right pace and the dark humor.
I had a great time playing it.
Thank you for all the work!
Voted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk