Blue Screen of Life: A Paranormal Database Thriller

Started by sag_aloo55, Mon 13/12/2021 21:56:40

Previous topic - Next topic

sag_aloo55

"Good morning, analyst

Today's assignment is waiting for you at your workstation

Another routine infestation I'm afraid"

What's it about?

In the game you play a low-ranking analyst at the Ministry of Paranormal Affairs, tasked with searching through old records to uncover how an alien infestation spread secretly through a small publishing company in the 1990s.

The game isn't a point and click adventure but is more of a logic puzzle. You're presented with a database of seemingly mundane information (e.g. sick records or security camera stills) and have to work out who has been infected based on knowledge about how the aliens behave.

The challenge for me was to try and make a game that was interesting to play, out of material that is inherently uninteresting (office life) Not sure if the game will achieve that but I've got this far....

Outside of cutscenes the game only uses two colours: blue and white

Screenshots

eliminating a suspect

office floor plan

security camera footage

sick records

briefing screen

Progress

The game has four separate puzzles in it, progressing through the stages of the infestation of the company; I think progress would be:
- Puzzle 1 - 100% complete
- Puzzle 2 - 80% complete
- Puzzle 3 - 50% complete
- Puzzle 4 - 0% complete
- Others (e.g. cutscenes) - 75% complete

My main problem so far is that I started out uploading the images as bmp file format, before I realised that's a terrible idea, so the file size is currently massive.

Release date
This is a hobby project for me; I'd like to release it as a free game, but it has been hard to find the time in between working to pay the bills. It's been fun though! I'm aiming to finish it before the end of 2022.

Thanks for reading!

Stupot

Wow. This looks right up my alley. All the best. Please keep us up to date.

Kastchey

I love the idea. Fingers crossed for the successful release!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk