Git & Gitea are a godsend. What tools save your bacon?

Started by Hobbes, Thu 31/03/2022 14:00:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Hey everyone,

I know I've been pretty radio silent again these past few months. The reason is that I started a new Master's study in September next to my full time job, so things have been... rather busy that way. But with Easter looming there's a bit more free time for a wee while, so I'm getting back into the swing of things.

And I just wanted to say, I got into Git and then installed Gitea on my Synology NAS (via Docker). Gitea is like GitHub, but self-hosted and private. So a great way for me at least to work on my game and ensure proper filenames, etc. I'm storing all my music, graphics, writings & coding in one place and easily tie it all together with Issues/Tracking in Gitea. The Projects/Milestones feature, along with the Wiki where I store my technical lists (Integers, RPG table elements) are a godsend. Why didn't I look into Git years ago???

Using the Project Kanban style board to move issues around to track game completion.

Easy way to oversee all files in my game's project, track changes, etc.

The issue tracker in its full glory.

The great thing about Gitea is that it's free, doesn't require much to run (apparently it runs great on a Raspberry-Pi as well) and is giving me piece of mind. With off-site backups set up for my docker data, I'm feeling pretty secure and confident I won't lose my hard work. And it's a great way to plod on with sprites, music compositions, writing & coding.

So it does raise the question: What tools are you using to manage projects?

I'm looking for an easy out-of-editor way to work on dialogs, for example. At the moment I'm using vim in the terminal, which works, but might need improvement... :-)

eri0o

I use Azure Repositories for game development of bigger games, because it's more lenient with bigger binary files than GitHub (GH has the limit of 100MB max per file in the git repository itself, when not using gitlfs).

After we can get the change in here ironed out, I think I will probably migrate to GitHub though - I already use it for tiny games and projects.

For organizing myself in the past I used Trello, but after moving to similar tools at my day job (Jira), I decided to move my free time stuff to using a physical notebook where I just write things with a pencil.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk