Coloring ball: "Oh, wow, that's JUST what I wanted..." (RESULTS)

Started by Rincewind, Wed 22/12/2021 10:36:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Rincewind

Hi everyone!

Welcome back to the Coloring Ball, the competition where we give you shapes and you fill them in.

With Christmas just around the corner, let's continue with the festive theme for a bit longer and go with a holiday classic: the dreaded unwanted christmas present.
Yes, you've just opened that parcel you've been eyeing under the christmas tree for weeks, only to discover it's not that big box copy of "Phantasmagoria 2: A Puzzle of Flesh" that you were hoping for after all, but something quite different. It's...

Hm, yeah, what is that unwanted christmas present exactly?

[imgzoom]https://olgarsson.files.wordpress.com/2021/12/coloring-ball-present.png[/imgzoom]

Fill out the shape with your own idea and interpretation of the shape.
You may rotate the shape, you may color the outline and either the inside or the outside of the shape.
The weirder and crazier, the better!

The deadline for entries is January the 15th, 2022. Good luck everyone!

stylez75

deadsuperhero

Aw, dad, did you have to get me an evil skull fortress again this year?  :cry:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/4GuhzUi.png[/imgzoom]
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

FanOfHumor

What! you got me snakes for Christmas! (laugh)

I'm not sure if this is going by the rules but I'll try anyway.
This has the original flipped vertically.

If the top one doesn't count then use this one.

Some aliens

Cassiebsg

Uhm, guys, you´re suppose to fill in the shape and not the outside as well.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Pax Animo

Are they... Socks?

[imgzoom]https://imgur.com/GgokaPt.png[/imgzoom]

-The guy at the shop "Rejiek" I think his name is, said they're made out of the finest skin.

Erm cheers, did you keep the receipt?
Misunderstood

deadsuperhero

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 04/01/2022 18:28:36
Uhm, guys, you´re suppose to fill in the shape and not the outside as well.

According to the first post, part of the stated rules were:

QuoteFill out the shape with your own idea and interpretation of the shape.
You may rotate the shape, you may color the outline and either the inside or the outside of the shape.

I get where you're coming from, but I also don't see a problem with radically reinterpreting the visual form, so long as the original shape can still somehow be seen within it
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Cassiebsg

uhm, okay. Guess that kind of defeats the purpose of a coloring ball, IMHO.  ???
But guess if that's the rule, I'll read the rules and keep my mouth shut next time.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Rincewind

Hey! Last chance to enter today! Glad to see some cool entries so far!  :)

Rincewind

Ok, time to vote! Here are all the entries:

stylez75
[imgzoom]https://i.ibb.co/f4qs49C/waterfall.png[/imgzoom]

deadsuperhero
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/4GuhzUi.png[/imgzoom]

Pajama Sam
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/qlEBTWd.png[/imgzoom]

Pax Animo
[imgzoom]https://imgur.com/GgokaPt.png[/imgzoom]

I would argue that while the rules allowed you to draw outside of the outlines as long as they are recognizable, Pajama Sams first entry seems to change the outlines a bit too much, so I will go with their second entry. Stylez75 and Deadsuperhero were similarly outlandish, but I would say they adhered more to the original outline, so I'll allow them.

Voting is open until the end of january 23!

Gilbert

For some reasons the outlines remind me of necropants. Luckily no one really attempted this (Pax Animo's entry could come close if that's really how things are to be interpreted).

AND DON'T SEARCH FOR NECROPANTS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Sinitrena

I think Rincewind just took the defiinition of what is and isn't allowed in the Colouring Ball from my description last round and I probably should clarify how it was meant then (while it's absolutely Rincewind's decision what they allow in this round) - colouring either inside or outside the shape means exactly that:
either inside - you do not colour anything outside
or outside - you do not colour anything inside
Meaning to just combine the two and colour both inside and outside for the same entry would not have been allowed.
(I throught that was the usualy way to understand either/or.)

Either way, because Rincewind didn't make this distinction, it wouldn't be fair to let it influence any votes here, and limit the importance of the shape to: It must still be recognizable.

Rincewind doesn't specify a voting method, so I'll just give one vote for my favorite, which is stylez75.

Individual comments:

stylez75: I can't tell what exactly this is supposed to be, but I'd guess something with a lot of electricity. The form of the shape is still clearly recognizable, with a clear foreground (the filled in shape) and background (the rest of the picture). One could take out the background and would be left with two electrical columns that sparkle and shine in their limited form. Again, I can't tell what exactly it  is supposed to be, but it looks nice.

deadsuperhero: Love the castle. While it is obviously based on the shape, I don't really recognize it any-longer. It's still there, but if you would ask me to turn this picture into something more abstract based on its shapes, I would not be able to get back to the original shape. I love this picture as a picture, the details are great, as is the atmosphere, but as a Colouring Ball entry, I think it's too far away from the idea.

Pajama Sam: [Image 1] While Rincewind didn't allow it for the contest, I can still comment on it. Wonderful snakes, and I love the style. It's too far away of the idea of the Colouring Ball, though, unfortunately. I'd love to see more in this style, and more from you, but probably in a less restrictive competition, where you can show the full extend of your talent.
[Image 2] Nnice snakes, but compared to your other entry, this screams of last minute and lack of enthusiasm. I'm sure you would be able to create something amazing even in the limits of the Colouring Ball if your heart were in it, but I doubt it was here. Sorry.

Pax Animo: They are socks. Who wants socks? They are not even enticing as a Colouring Ball entry. Kidding, of course. I don't have a lot to say here. It's certainly recognizable as socks, and they do look comfortable (although brown is not my colour...  ;))

Pax Animo

Quote from: Gilbert on Mon 17/01/2022 12:08:58
For some reasons the outlines remind me of necropants. Luckily no one really attempted this (Pax Animo's entry could come close if that's really how things are to be interpreted).

AND DON'T SEARCH FOR NECROPANTS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Yes,

Given that part of my entry description is "-The guy at the shop 'Rejiek' I think his name is, said they're made out of the finest skin". It's a reference from Baldur's gate 1 "Solve the 'Skinner murders' in the Bridge District"

Bit of a long shot there in hoping that somebody would get the reference.
Misunderstood

FanOfHumor

Just so you know the second entry isn't snakes it's aliens.I was surprised that I could draw the snakes since I never did pixel art just because I'm terrible at drawing things so small.And now that I actually tried I can see that pixel art is alot  easier than I thought.All I did was drew the outline and scribbled random colors in hope that it would look good.At least now I understand the rules completely.Maybe next time.

stylez75

Sinitrena

I was aiming for twin waterfalls. lol
I wished I had put jut a little more into it, but didn't want to change the image size or shape so was very limited with detail

Sinitrena

LOL, so I'm off about nearly all entries? The snakes are actually aliens, the socks are not supposed to be comfortable (did Pax Animo delete this part of their comment, I could have sworn...) and the waterfall turned rather deadly with the added electricity?  (laugh)  What did I get wrong about the castle?

Anyone else want to get everything wrong about these entries? This is your chance - just get on your keyboard and vote!  ;)

Pax Animo

Quote from: Sinitrena on Thu 20/01/2022 20:42:23
Did Pax Animo delete this part of their comment, I could have sworn...)

That i did, i felt my commenting on your choice of sock comfortability was a little passive aggressive.  (laugh)
Misunderstood

Rincewind

Hey guys, seeing that we only have one single vote so far, I'll extend the voting deadline a couple of more days, until the 28th of january!
And since I didn't really specify the voting method, as Sinitrena rightly pointed out (sorry about that), I'll just go with the simplest solution: you may only give one point, to your favorite entry, and the entry with the most points at the end of the deadline wins. (You may of course comment on or give out honorary mentions to the other entries, though!)   

Rincewind

Ok, I'm guessing there probably won't be any more votes despite the extended deadline, so unless anyone has any last minute objections I will be giving the victory and the honor of choosing the next topic to stylez75!

Sinitrena

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk