Author Topic: The Homestead (La Colonia) - tech demo/prologue  (Read 235 times)

Hi everyone!
I'm finally happy to present you this tech demo/prototype of a new adventure I've started to develop after the summer. It contains only the prologue of the story. I had this idea a long time ago, but it became a reality when I met a young artist who liked the concept and started working on the graphics.

It's the most complex project I've developed on AGS so far, so I'm pretty proud of it.

The reason why I'm posting it here is to collect suggestions and feedbacks. I would like to know what you think about the graphics style, the dialog system, the custom say function, the mechanics, etc. To be honest, it's a very ambitious project, so I don't know if I will be able to complete it, but every feedback will be helpful.

Where to download
If you want to try the demo, go here:
https://emabolo.itch.io/the-homestead

The story
The story is not strictly autobiographical, but it's based on actual events and places. The villa (called "La Colonia") exists, and the story about the orphanage and the therapeutic camp is real. My friends and I actually thought ghosts were there when we were kids. I know that supernatural+80s looks too much like Stranger Things, but it's totally unrelated.

Graphics
No pixel art here. We decided to go for 1366x768 because it's a pretty standard resolution. The pictures are sketched, the characters are just drawings, and the only animations are the walking frames.

Gameplay
There are no verbs or right-click of the mouse, only left-button click. The first click is usually a sort of "examine", while the second click performs an action, but it depends on the object.
There are 5 characters that you can control only one of them; the others will follow you. The idea is that each one has specific skills that will be useful to solve puzzles. You cannot switch between them during this prologue, but it will be possible in the game.

Screenshot

For more info/screenshots, open the spoiler.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Some more images:

First screen:

The exploration starts:

Entrance:

The first NPC: