MAGS January “Get the Picture” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Thu 30/12/2021 22:54:18

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favorite game of MAGS January?

Little Leonardo by Raccoon
5 (38.5%)
Signal Loss by Breton
7 (53.8%)
Get the Picture by Pajama Sam
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Wed 16/02/2022 03:35:29

Stupot

Topic: Get the picture
Chosen by Heltonjon and Stupot

Little Leonardo
by Racoon
Signal Loss
by Brewton
Get the Picture
by Pajama Sam

Interpret the phrase “get the picture”, how ever you like. Taking that perfectly-timed photo, understanding something, stealing a famous painting, getting a photo message on social media, paparazzi…

Best of luck.

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Pax Animo

Oh, nice, thanks for the head start.

I may come up with something and do my own graphics this time around.
Misunderstood

DBoyWheeler

Would blueprints (for a gadget or a building) count as a picture?  Just asking hypothetically.

heltenjon

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Sat 01/01/2022 17:28:15
Would blueprints (for a gadget or a building) count as a picture?  Just asking hypothetically.
Sure.

Stupot

FanOfHumor

What is the goal. Is it anything in particular?

Stupot

Quote from: Pajama Sam on Tue 04/01/2022 05:39:29
What is the goal. Is it anything in particular?

The goal is to make a game by the end of the month, however big or small, using AGS. Every month has a different theme or topic that can be interpreted as broadly as you wish.

If you haven’t made a game yet, MAGS is a great way to get started.

FanOfHumor

Im going to take Get The Picture 100% literal.And I already have an idea that really takes the picture!  ;-D

Racoon

Hey guys,
I started working on a little game. This is the first room and character:

I really hope that I will be able to present a running game at the end of january. I did start a little late, but now that I got the story I am excited to get it done :-)

It will be a very small game,probably only around 10min. to play.

heltenjon

Looking good, Racoon! Seems like a good game to play with my kids, from the looks of it.

Racoon

Thanks! I think this one will be perfect to play with even smaller children. It will have almost no words, easy puzzles and a family friendly story :-)

Stupot

Looking good Racoon. Keep up the good work.
Is anyone else in? How’s your Idea coming along Pajama Sam?

FanOfHumor

Its coming along very slowly.My game has 20 levels yet 1 room.Its all about taking that perfectly timed snapshot.Every level gets faster and more distracting.The goal is to press the space bar at the exact right moment when the eagle or humming bird passes by.Distracting sounds and completely random birds ,planes, ducks,geese,and more randomly appear making this game get intense after the 5th level.A percentage at the end of every level shows you how close you got to the right picture.The eagle is(you probably guessed it) the eagle from the first post (with different looking eagles at different angles to make it confusing).As tough as I make it sound its not impossible.It just forces you to really use your senses.And as annoying as it is it can be addictive if you want to win.
I dont have a screen shot because there isnt much to show in one photo.Everything happens at different random times.
Hopefully I will be able to finish it before the deadline.

heltenjon

Quote from: Pajama Sam on Tue 18/01/2022 18:42:58
Its coming along very slowly.My game has 20 levels yet 1 room.

I tried the sample you posted in a technical thread, and it was hard! I hope the player don't have to start over every time there's a miss. Are you planning to make the harder levels available from the start of the game when you have cleared the lower levels? (Alternatively, optional savegames, passwords, check points...) I doubt I can take 20 perfect pictures in a row unless it's a lot easier than the sample I tried.  8-0 Keep up the good work!

FanOfHumor

I didn't give a sample? Oh wait a second I guess I did but that was before I improved it greatly.it was just a test then.No the player doesn't have to restart every time they fail I have three buttons.If they win(Quit game/retry level/next level).If they lose(Quit game/retry).And yes I will have level saved as a checkpoint and the ability to save the game.

heltenjon

Quote from: Pajama Sam on Tue 18/01/2022 19:54:25
I didn't give a sample? Oh wait a second I guess I did but that was before I improved it greatly.it was just a test then.No the player doesn't have to restart every time they fail I have three buttons.If they win(Quit game/retry level/next level).If they lose(Quit game/retry).And yes I will have level saved as a checkpoint and the ability to save the game.

You know, we can gleam a lot from the tech treads.  ;)  It's a simple, yet cool idea. It seems like you have a good plan for a coffee break game of the "Dammit! One more go then!" kind.

Stupot

That sounds like a whole lot of fun, Sam. Keep going. If you have to cut the number of levels for time, that’s fine. You can always add more after the contest.

Kastchey

Indeed. Don't worry about trimming some of the content or even releasing an unfinished game as a demo if you need to. There's plenty of demos that were released as a MAGS entry initially.

FanOfHumor

I will enter my game if I can. But there are at the least three very major bugs that have me stumped. I might figure these out on the technical forum in time. But I cant even guarantee a playable demo within the deadline. I may or may not fix it in time. I'm also very busy on an important game and right now this game just isnt worth making considering the time taken up by it. I'm trying in my spare time anyways so we'll see.
I will try to release a demo but first I have to make it playable.

CaptainD

Just popping in to give some encouragement to anyone making a MAGS game this month. Nice work Racoon! Really love the perspective. Pajama Sam - just go by your gut instinct, if the game is basically playable it's worth releasing for MAGS.

I definitely won't have time this month but hopefully sometime this year I'll do a MAGS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk