What's the best places to advertise to parents plus others?

Started by FanOfHumor, Thu 20/01/2022 17:25:11

Previous topic - Next topic

FanOfHumor

Yes .That always puzzled me why Humongous Entertainment games were called edutainment.I do see though how that even though the main purpose was to have fun they still taught me as a kid not to limit my stories creativity to real life.The wackier it gets the better.Plus it also teaches kids in solving puzzles by using inventory items in the right places.As you said I can say what it teaches such as problem solving and so on.
I didn't think about advertising on a religious site.Thanks for the ideas. ;-D

heltenjon

If your goal is to teach Christianity, I think a religious site would probably be your best choice. Now, the game doesn't even have to be specifically religious, as long as it promotes something like kindness or similar values, and shies away from what the typical (religious) parent wouldn't want their kid to get their hands on. I put the parentheses there because atheists probably won't want their kid to learn cruelty or that drugs are cool or similar, either.  ;)

I tend to react negatively towards games that disguise themselves as "ordinary" games, and then suddenly turn preachy. I have no problem at all with a game that's up front honest about what message it tries to express - if you try to find the Holy Grail, Christ comes as a part of the package. An even better way to integrate the message you want, would be to create a sympathetic character in-game that happens to be a priest. Talking about their faith would probably be a natural design choice, just like talking about cars would be if you created a character who was a mechanic.

FanOfHumor

Good idea heltenjon

Milkanannan: Could you please tell me what game websites you look on for your 7 year old?

Darth Mandarb

Years ago I registered the domain kidsafe.app for an idea I had to make a crow-sourced "parental guidance" type app which parents could use to find games (video, board), movies, tv shows, etc. that were generally considered safe for kids (as voted on by parents). I never got past mocking up some design ideas (and I let the domain lapse) but this thread makes me think maybe it was worth building and I might dust off the idea now...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Tue 01/02/2022 13:36:02
Years ago I registered the domain kidsafe.app for an idea I had to make a crow-sourced "parental guidance" type app which parents could use to find games (video, board), movies, tv shows, etc. that were generally considered safe for kids (as voted on by parents). I never got past mocking up some design ideas (and I let the domain lapse) but this thread makes me think maybe it was worth building and I might dust off the idea now...
You should totally try it, it could be similar to the site Common Sense Media, but with a stronger focus on games, and indie games especially, especially if you could give indie devs the opportunity to upload their own games for parents to rate as opposed to other such sites,
where it's mostly just the most popular media that the parents pick and rate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk