Police Quest II

Started by Moresco, Fri 07/01/2022 02:14:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Moresco

No, I'm not remaking it again, first off. lol.  I ran into Ben on Twitter and thought back to this AGS stuff, and of course, the defunct Police Quest II remake of epic proportions that never proportioned itself.  I've updated it today and it's kinda been like, 15 years or something... I think? Jeez. Anyway, I know it doesn't have any cars yet...but what else is missing? Have I forgotten anything? What would make it feel more, police quest-y? Does anything look like total garbage crap? I know the doors kinda suck and the glass could be a bit more glassy.  It definitely needs more enticing plants.  This is just for fun.

::: Mastodon :::

Mandle

Looks nice! The only real issue my eyes have with it is the bricks going all the way up on the left side of the second level whereas they end at the white capping on the right side.

Moresco

Hey Mandle!  Yeah I can see how that might feel weird, I'm gonna try a change to that bit and I'll repost today.  Thanks so much!

TheFrighter

It looks gorgeus, Moresco! Just, i'm not sure about the shadows... the flag poles don't have shadows?

_

Moresco

Quote from: TheFrighter on Fri 07/01/2022 17:42:52

It looks gorgeus, Moresco! Just, i'm not sure about the shadows... the flag poles don't have shadows?

_

Ah man! you caught me! Yep forgot the shading on the flag poles.  I'm kinda redoing a large chunk of the building, and I can safely say I have shaded the flagpoles this round.  I'll post it soon-ish.  Thanks for pointing that out! 

Moresco

Ugh I just need to do the plants.  I tried a really colorful flowerbed, but I painted it on my phone and somehow shrank it 2x and now it's garbage.  So I'll do those tomorrow.

Anyway.  Here's the update.  Flagpole shadows, woo!

Babar

The very heavy detailing on the trees on the left is a bit distracting, especially since they're so far back, and even stuff much closer to our view is less detailed. I'd recommend having them at the same level as the trees on the right.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Moresco

Ah, that is true.  Thanks Babar, I'll address that!

arj0n

The roofing above the doors sticks out but its shadow on the floor  doesn't.

Moresco

Quote from: arj0n on Sat 08/01/2022 13:29:57
The roofing above the doors sticks out but its shadow on the floor  doesn't.

Thanks arj0n, didn't even see that.  I tried to fix it, turns out I really didn't have the building shadow right.  If I'm following this guide to render shadows correctly, and I might not be, not Scott Robertson's fault, then the shadow for the overhang is so far off the page anyway.  I'm not sure why that makes any sense, but that's what his book seems to show.  The dark bit on the glass is supposed to be a reflection from the underside of the ceiling, but in hindsight it just looks like a drop shadow and makes it confusing.  It's probably not gonna be quite right, but I'm happy with it I guess.  Any paintover to show me a better shadow render would be super cool but not required. 

I attempted to address Babar's critique, had a go at repainting the tree. 

Then I added some happy little flowers and spruced up the grass.  At least, I think it's spruced up.  I dunno, it's something!

Babar

I think at this point you have an acceptable base, but the BG seems a bit empty. If it's not going to be shown for very long, I guess that doesn't matter, but otherwise, I'd say some stuff to fill it in would be useful: a couple of cars, posters/notices on the walls, manholes, maybe some silhouette in the foreground, etc.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

milkanannan

You need Keith in the upstairs window puffing a smoke. :grin: Kidding of course. Your art looks great - totally faithful to the original vibe. PQ2 was one of my faves back in the day. Definitely my favourite in the Police Quest series.

Moresco

Quote from: Babar on Sun 09/01/2022 16:29:16
I think at this point you have an acceptable base, but the BG seems a bit empty. If it's not going to be shown for very long, I guess that doesn't matter, but otherwise, I'd say some stuff to fill it in would be useful: a couple of cars, posters/notices on the walls, manholes, maybe some silhouette in the foreground, etc.

This is not for a game.  I was just doing it for fun based on the photobash I started 15-ish years ago.  I fully intend to add cars.  In fact, what I asked was, besides cars etc, what else is it missing?  Posters is a good one.  Oooh yeah, a manhole for sure, or a grate or some water draining out of a pipe.  Maybe a vent with some smoke coming out of it? I dunno maybe from the AC system? It was the 80s so it's probably super unhealthy ha.  I also think the sidewalk could use detail in the surfaces are too clean.  Also I haven't done the planters yet, there's nothing in them.  I'm not sure when I'm gonna do that, got Omicron at the moment so I'm stuck in bed.  But thanks for the ideas, Babar, those are what I'm after.

Quote from: milkanannan on Sun 09/01/2022 19:22:42
You need Keith in the upstairs window puffing a smoke. :grin: Kidding of course. Your art looks great - totally faithful to the original vibe. PQ2 was one of my faves back in the day. Definitely my favourite in the Police Quest series.

Hah, I definitely think him or the Captain outside licking ice cream.  "You're late again, Bonds!"

Mandle

Looking quite lovely!

DirigoJoe

I remember following your remake attempt with great interest a few years ago. I really liked PQ2. Felt like playing an 80's action movie... I'd love to see some remakes/a new adventure for Bonds. I have a couple ideas but I can't draw or code lol.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk