Trying to find a good style/lighting

Started by KyriakosCH, Sun 09/01/2022 10:59:39

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

I hope that in the end it will look as good as the AOEII definitive version buildings. But it takes work.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

eri0o

The shadows added in the right picture make it a bit better.

Honestly, it already looks very good. Need to think about small areas that can have a different color so it can identify which player is the owner (Blue Player, Red Player, Yellow Player, ...). In AOEII definitive version these were usually lines that were on the sides of the buildings.

Other than this, I think that making the units (soldier, chariot, ...) is a good next challenge.

KyriakosCH

Thank you, I am happy you like it!!!

Yes, the AOE buildings have player-color areas, I am basing the render/lighting on AOEII but the plan is to release a set of gfx as assets.
Then again, it would make sense to have a file of them as AOEII-ready assets too :)

It is this building:

eri0o

Ah, in this picture it looks like some building features could be made bit exagerated. Particularly it looks like for the player indicator marking there's a line that seems suggested by that picture:

KyriakosCH

Yes, although it probably would be a bit blatant to do that :D Maybe better to just have the lines run just below the central roof and side dome bases.

KyriakosCH

Some work on the "Fortified Manor", from Warhammer Fantasy:

Obviously not that near completion (textures/statues/roof correction etc needed)  (nod)

eri0o

Lines are very straight and in the picture on the right, things appear to "sprout", are you going for the straight lines or you plan to go for the more cartoony way from the picture?

KyriakosCH

^I will remodel the roof, but didn't feel like making the tower have the (rather ridiculous :D ) lines of the WH tabletop model... I mean, no one would build it IRL that way  :=

KyriakosCH

And now for something different (but also wip and nowhere near completion :) )

KyriakosCH

Working on another byzantine church:

Actually reworking the model, adding details and making corrections  (nod)

Monsieur OUXX

You don't seem to have any ambient occlusion shading? Especially where the walls meet the ground that's essential.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Thu 20/01/2022 14:25:10
You don't seem to have any ambient occlusion shading? Especially where the walls meet the ground that's essential.

Yes, up to now I was getting away with having overall a very light shading. But for these larger buildings I switched to heavier shadows, so have to do something with the ground. Do you know where the option is in older (2.8, or just before) versions of Blender, for having very light shadows only on the ground? (if there is such a thing there)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk