Fortnightly Writing Contest. THEME: Local Legend. CLOSED.

Started by Mandle, Mon 10/01/2022 09:13:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: Sinitrena on Tue 01/02/2022 10:39:02
Congratulations, Stupot!

I'd like to know how the votes were allocated with this new system. You probably can't post them in an annonymous way if you want to go into detail, but maybe what was the lowest and highest number of points each voter gave?

Nobody voted under 6 for any story (except one vote of 5 for mine) and only one vote was a 10. The rest were spread around the 7-9 range.

WHAM

That sounds like an issue to me. Most people, when given a range on 1-10 to score things with, tend to default to 7 or 8 for everything, with a few rare exceptions gaining a 9 or 10 if they stand out, and veeeery few exceptionally poorly perceived subjects scoring below 7. It's too subjective and allows for overlapping scores, which might cause issues when there are so few voters to begin with. Forcing the voters to pick out one above all would help guide them to pick a favourite and to compare stories among each other.

Say:

Score your favourite of the stories at 5 points.
Second place at 3 points.
Third at 2 and fourth at 1 point. Others gain no points.

This way the voter has to decide on one they like the best, which gets an extra point, and have a scaling range that pushes them to also evaluate the remaining stories against each other so they can set them in order, rather than just score each of them some average-ish value.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Sinitrena

The issue WHAM sees here is, I think, the same I meant with this:
Quote- this is a competition, therefore, votes should be based on the comparision of the stories to each other, not some kind of absolute marker of quality that simply doesn't exist (though I can see other people not agreeing with this point)

WHAM

Precisely and indeed. Just worded a little differently.
Though, with such low voter and participant numbers, the issue of duplicate scores remains very much the same. But that's just life on a cozy little forum with a handful of active users. :) I do look forward to the day when the fortnightly breaks through into the double digit participant numbers...
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk