AGS Development > Editor Development

[FEATURE TEST] Log in the Editor

(1/3) > >>

eri0o:
🚨!!Just to test log, backup things, if you are playing with this!!🚨

⚠️>Download: AGS-3.6.0.22-Beta2-Log-on-Editor.zip<⚠️

So, we currently have logging in the engine, and it's very nice, it has all sorts of options. You can use System.Log function for it. But currently you have to either use AGS through command line or configure it to log to a file.

See log levels at the end of page here: https://adventuregamestudio.github.io/ags-manual/StandardEnums.html#loglevel

Well, I want to add a panel so when you run it through the Editor debugger you can pick up your log messages right there. You have to enable it, in the above build, by clicking on Window -> Engine Log

For now the panel is not very pretty, it's like this:

Anyway, would this be useful to others? Is there anything in particular you want to use in such feature?

Pogwizd:
I think this is a great idea. This would make my life way easier, because every single time I want to check how (or if) a variable changes I need to create a gui, add a label and then update it's text all the time. Provided it's a string, if it's float or int I have to parse it and so on and so on. So yeah, having a simple console logging function would be great.

eri0o:
Play testing this feature it really shines if you have a second monitor, otherwise you need to play the game windowed - it's fine in single monitor if your game is not HD and your monitor is reasonably big though.

arj0n:

--- Quote from: Pogwizd on 18 Jan 2022, 10:45 ---I think this is a great idea.

--- End quote ---
+1

Crimson Wizard:
By the way, this is somewhat related, but theoretically one could write a stand-alone application that either reads the engine log on the fly, from the file or stdout; or connects to the engine using same "Debugger" interface as editor uses, and then displays all messages in a window. This way one would be able to see game's log even without the editor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version