[SOLVED] Variating VerbCoin string verbtext of RegisterButton

Started by glurex, Wed 26/01/2022 00:40:31

Previous topic - Next topic

glurex

Hi!

I have a doubt... it´s quite hard of explain but i´ll do my best:

I´m using the VerbCoin template and I put as string text "Use" in eModeInteact... that´s works in mostly scenarios except in a specific one: a drawer where I think is better to say "Open" instead of "Use".

Is there a way to change the string text ("VerbCoin.RegisterButton(btnInteract, eVerbCoinPositionSouth, eModeInteract, "Use");") ONLY in the case of interact with the drawer? Somewhat like:

Code: ags
 VerbCoin.InterfaceGui = gVerbCoin;
  VerbCoin.RegisterButton(btnLook, eVerbCoinPositionNorth, eModeLookat, "Inspect");
  VerbCoin.RegisterButton(btnTalk, eVerbCoinPositionEast, eModeTalkto, "Talk with");

if (?????)
  {
  VerbCoin.RegisterButton(btnInteract, eVerbCoinPositionSouth, eModeInteract, "Open");
  }
  else 
  {
      VerbCoin.RegisterButton(btnInteract, eVerbCoinPositionSouth, eModeInteract, "Use");

}
  VerbCoin.RegisterButton(btnPickup, eVerbCoinPositionWest, eModePickup, "Pick Up");

Thank in advance!

Cheers!

Khris

The button should be a regular AGS GUIButton. Which means you can change its text directly using
  btnInteract.Text = "Open";

A proper solution would be to add a custom string property to hotspots and objects with a default value of "Use", then change that to "Open" for the drawer.
Next you need to switch the text in rep_ex_always (just add the function to the global script if it doesn't exist already, otherwise add the contents inside the existing one)

function repeatedly_execute_always() {
  int mx = Mouse.x; int my = Mouse.y;
  int lt = GetLocationType(mx, my);
  if (lt == eLocationHotspot) {
    Hotspot* h = Hotspot.GetAtScreenXY(mx, my);
    btnInteract.Text = h.GetTextProperty("interact");
  }
  else if (lt == eLocationObject) {
    Object* o = Object.GetAtScreenXY(mx, my);
    btnInteract.Text = o.GetTextProperty("interact");
  }
}

glurex

Many thanks! It works smoothly! :D

The problem before was that I was'nt puting the code "in rep_ex_always" in the global script then the action only was perfoming once!

The only change is that I created an empty Hotspot over the drawer that is triggering a variable when mouse is over it and that simplified a bit everything.

Greetings!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk