The Wordle thread (with spoilers!)

Started by cat, Fri 18/03/2022 08:33:58

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

I stopped with WORDLE a few weeks ago after playing daily for a month or so. lost interest somehow and the words got more and more obscure...

but if you want to play the same game but with style and independent of your knowledge of the english language and only want to think logically, try this:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1669-ags-mastermind/

:D

Snarky

Today's (276) took me 6. I don't really think I made any serious mistakesâ€"I could have got it in 5, but that would have meant a risk of not getting it at all.

Spoiler
After guess 3, I had S_O_L or SLO__, and with the remaining letters it was down to SPOIL, SPOOL, SLOOP, SLOPS, SLOGS, SLOBS, SLOSH. I played 4: SPOIL, 5: SLOGS (because SLOSH, although IMO a more likely answer, would have left me to guess between SLOGS/SLOBS if wrong), 6: SLOSH.
[close]

cat

I got it on my 5th, but I had no idea what the word is, it was just the only plausible combination with my remaining letters.

Mouth for war

Got it on the last try! I also had no idea what that word meant :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Stupot

I’m interested to know everyone’s average number of guesses. I’ve been calculating mine every 10 days, today is my 60th day and my overall average is 4.08.

No. guessesNo. of timesPoints
Total245
/60 days4.08

I’d like it to be below 4. Before the New York Times bought it, I was averaging closer to 3, suggesting maybe it has got harder since the buyout (although I hadn’t been playing it for long).

Snarky

You're doing a bit better than me, Stu:

No. guessesNo. of timesPoints
Total300
/73 days4.11

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 23/03/2022 01:25:39
I’d like it to be below 4.

That's my goal too.

QuoteBefore the New York Times bought it, I was averaging closer to 3, suggesting maybe it has got harder since the buyout (although I hadn’t been playing it for long).

Well, all the solutions for the next 8 years or so are hardcoded into the game, and the only change NYT made was to remove a handful of words that were either potentially offensive ("slave", "pussy") or presumably considered too obscure ("agora", "pupal"). (Personally, while I understand why they've removed them as solutions, I think they should still be valid guesses.)

So any change in difficulty is almost certainly imagined or coincidental, unless Wardle designed a rising difficulty curve into the game originally.

277 took me 4. I made a mistake in my analysis that cost me one turn.

cat

Got 277 on my 3rd. On the other hand, I lost the Austrian Wördl yesterday.

Snarky

Wordle 278 3/6
◼◼◼◼◼
◼◼◼◼◼
◼◼◼◼◼

Stupot

Wordle 278 2/6*

🟨🟨⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I got very lucky with my first word

Which was:
Spoiler
HEIST
[close]

â€"-

Holy cow just did 279 and…

Wordle 279 2/6*

🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I’m on a roll.

cat

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 24/03/2022 15:01:42
Wordle 278 2/6*

I got very lucky with my first word

Which was:
Spoiler
HEIST
[close]

Ha, that was my second guess, which lead me to the solution on my 3rd try.

Mouth for war

Mouth for war

Stupot

Today’s (280) was a bitch. Got it on my 5th guess, undoing all my nice work the previous two days.

milkanannan

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 26/03/2022 14:19:18
Today’s (280) was a bitch. Got it on my 5th guess, undoing all my nice work the previous two days.

Yeah:

Spoiler
Rare that my starter word SUITE doesn't get a single hit! Next turn I realised I had no vowels at all to work with and it was a true 'oh crap' moment. (laugh)
[close]

Snarky

I've been 4/6 every time since my last update, including today (281).

Spoiler
EPOXY was an interesting one. (I must admit I first thought it was a brand name/proper noun and thus not a valid word under Scrabble rules.) After three guesses I only had the O green and the E yellow, with E_O__ and __OE_ as possible formats, but having eliminated most common letters, there couldn't be that many possibilities. I came up with "epoxy" pretty quickly, but then spent a good deal of time assuring myself that I wasn't missing some other, better possibility.
[close]

Stupot, I don't think one 5/6 undoes two 2/6s in a row. Indeed, on an over/under relative to 4, you're still 3 under par!

milkanannan, the good thing about vowels is that there's got to be at least one, and if you've eliminated the most common ones that means the possible options are few. I like the starting word SERAI to knock out the top three. (Though I try to play different starting words for variety; today I started with INERT.) If that's a miss, you can pretty easily fit two out of O,U,Y in a second guessââ,¬â€or all three if you don't want to take a chance, e.g. YOUNG.

cat

Lol, that was a funny one. I didn't get ANY letters in my first 2 guesses, but then managed to nail it with my 4th.

Stupot

I went for EPOCH on my 4th go and so on my 5th EPOXY was probably the only possible option. Luckily Facebook’s algorithm has been providing my with epoxy resin videos for the past year or so, so I’m familiar with the word.

Snarky

5/6 (282)

Spoiler
FOUND. One of those damn ones that depend very largely on luck, since the first letter has 8 possibilities with everything else in place. If you get the F early you're set, otherwise you'll have to hunt for it. I could find no way to get even three of F, H, W, B into a five-letter word, but apparently Wordle accepts "whoof."
[close]

Mouth for war

Third attempt today! I even surprised myself :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk