Started by cat, Fri 18/03/2022 08:33:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Wordle 285 3/6
Wordle 286 3/6
◼◼◼◼◼
◼◼◼◼◼
◼◼◼◼◼

Got lucky on the first guess, saw that there were at least five possibilities remaining and decided to use my second to find out which rather than take a random shot.

Just six more of those to get my average down to 4!

milkanannan

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 01/04/2022 06:13:08
Wordle 285 3/6
Wordle 286 3/6
◼◼◼◼◼
◼◼◼◼◼
◼◼◼◼◼

Got lucky on the first guess, saw that there were at least five possibilities

I think I must have hit all of those possibilities! Luckily got it on the last try.

Snarky

That's why I think hard mode is so pointless. What's the game in just guessing which of X possibilities it happens to be?

Stupot

Yeah, I started off not playing in hard mode but enough people on Twitter said they considered it cheating that I changed it to hard mode. But in all honesty they’re just two different ways of playing. I don’t see “hard” mode as any harder than “easy” mode.

I got today’s in 3. Been mostly 3s and 4s this week, so my average should be looking better when I calculate it tomorrow. is looking better.

No. guessesNo. of timesPoints
Total280
/70 days4

Snarky

An even four. Nice!

Easy mode is necessarily easier because it gives you a way out of those "what's the fifth letter?" cases (e.g. "S_OUT") and has no drawbacks. You can still use the letters you know whenever you like, you just don't have to.

Wordle 287 3/6
◼◼◼◼◼
◼◼◼◼◼
◼◼◼◼◼

No. guessesNo. of timesPoints
Total337
/83 days4.06

cat

After a few days with mostly 5 guesses, I was lucky and got it on my second today  :)

cat

This could also go in the "What grinds my gears" thread. Wordle is not accepting LATIN as a valid word. I mean, sure, it's extinct and stuff, but I was learning this language 6 years at school and they say this is not supposed to be a word?

Stupot

I think that’s because ‘Latin’ is a proper noun. My guess is they also won’t accept ‘Suomi’, but I’m going to try that as my starting word tomorrow, just in case they do.

In other news, I’ve had two 6-ers since my last post so my average is doomed.

[update] ‘Suomi’ wasn’t allowed.

Snarky

Wordle is a bit inconsistent when it comes to languages and nationalities: Latin, Norse, Irish, Hindi/Hindu, Farsi, Slavs and Danes are blocked, but Dutch, Swiss, Swede (though that can also be a root vegetable), Anglo, Welsh, Gipsy/Gypsy, Greek, Turks and even India and Spain(!) are permitted.

I've played very averagely since last. 1x3, 1x5, 2x4.

cat

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 06/04/2022 06:44:46
Wordle is a bit inconsistent when it comes to languages and nationalities: Latin, Norse, Irish, Hindi/Hindu, Farsi, Slavs and Danes are blocked, but Dutch, Swiss, Swede (though that can also be a root vegetable), Anglo, Welsh, Gipsy/Gypsy, Greek, Turks and even India and Spain(!) are permitted.

Seems to be, today I tried ROMAN and that was accepted.
I only got it on 6th try by trying out all possible combinations with the characters left after running out of ideas what the word could be.

Stupot

I’m not having a very good week.

Wordle 293 5/6*

⬛⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

cat

Today I did it without hard mode. My initial word got me all but one letter and I could immediately think of at least 4 word that would fit. So I got it with 3, but it doesn't feel satifying. Next time I will go back to hard mode and guessing, this feels much better (and I might have got it on 3rd try as well).

Snarky

Quote from: cat on Fri 08/04/2022 08:13:11
Next time I will go back to hard mode and guessing, this feels much better

(wrong)

Has anyone tried Wordlebot? It's a NYT feature that analyzes your Wordle games, telling you how good your guesses were at each turn and suggesting improvements.

For example, it tells me that today (Wordle 293), my second guess
Spoiler
(SPACE, following CLEAN)
[close]
was OK, but it would have been better to go with
Spoiler
TRACE,
[close]
which would have almost guaranteed a win in 3, while my guess could have left me with the possibilities
Spoiler
BEACH, REACH, TEACH, EXACT, or REACT
[close]
if I was unlucky. (I wasn't, and got it in 3.)

BTW, Worldebot's analysis claims that the optimal starting word is CRANE.

Stupot

That’s a cool bot. It’s a bit buggy on my phone but really clever little tool.

cat

Too bad you have to be logged in to use it.

Mouth for war

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Snarky

Got Wordle 294 in 3, which means I'm only two more of those away from getting my average down to 4.

Having now tried it a little, I have one criticism of Wordlebot: its strategy and recommendations are based on knowing exactly which words are possible solutions (a much smaller pool of words than the ones that are valid guesses). So the other day, for instance, it knew that the solution could not be BOYAR, even though that is a valid word, simply because it's not in the list of Wordle solutions. That's not something a human player could know for sure without cheating, and it affects the optimal strategy.

cat

Snarky

Congrats!

Wordle 295 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟨🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordlebot gives my play a skill rating of 88/100 and a luck rating of 49/100.

Snarky

Wordle 296 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Skill 82/100
Luck 46/100

Despite getting nothing on the first (extremely unlucky, at 7/100), Wordlebot highly approves of my first two guesses, claiming it left only two possibilities (from its list of solution words, that is), thus giving me a 50% chance at getting it in 3 and a guaranteed max 4. But I wasn't able to see it, and had to use my third to cut the search space instead.

Spoiler
Even after that there was at least one other dictionary word that would fit, but given that it's considered derogatory, it wasn't a plausible solution.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk