AGS 3.6.0 - Beta 15

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 20/03/2022 20:23:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Baguettator on Sat 04/06/2022 10:26:12
Did you displayed the String (with the Display function) that you obtained each time with the ReadRawLineback function ? I remember that all the É characters were not correctly displayed (something like ^A"< you know when the character is not properly read).

I did not display anything, I used exactly the code that you posted earlier: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=59842.msg636646559#msg636646559
where you said that substring crashes, to test the crash. I added É characters to the file too, in random places. But it did not crash for me neither in UTF-8 nor ASCII game mode.

Baguettator

Yes, it crashed. And it displayed incorrectly :)

As you have seen, the files contains many lines (each line containing informations about 1 character, written each one between a ";"). When I displayed the text, I saw that each É or characters like that was badly displayed. I displayed the text at each occurence of my function, and at some point, it crashed (saying the error I mentionned before).

I changed the É with E, it worked. And then, I changed the E to É, and it worked too...!!

Well, it worked for one file. For another, the É are displayed in game by ^ .

Strange...?

Crimson Wizard

@Baguettator, these all may be separate problems. Crash is one problem, wrong displayed characters is another.
For example, in order to display correct characters you also need a correct font.

If you want us to look into this problem we need a test case, where there's a 1) game settings 2) script and 3) a file, that in combination cause the problem.

Dualnames

Save to file appears to be problematic. Namely that white thing shouldn't be there.

Specifically:

Here are the images: https://easyupload.io/e5x7f4

Code: AGS

//Clearscreen is a dynamic sprite that grabs the screen as the Save UI opens, prior rather.
  //both Screenshots[0] and HDSave are dynamic sprites [declared in global variables]

//SAVES A SMALL VERSION OF THE IMAGE
    Screenshots[0]=DynamicSprite.CreateFromExistingSprite(GrabAutosaveScreen(), false);//even replacing GrabAutosaveScreen with a sprite number results in a broken BMP file.
      Screenshots[0].Resize(61, 39);
      Screenshots[0].SaveToFile(String.Format("$SAVEGAMEDIR$/save%d.bmp",setSlot));

//SAVES A BIGGER VERSION OF THE IMAGE
      if (HDSave!=null) HDSave.Delete();
      HDSave=DynamicSprite.CreateFromExistingSprite(ClearScreen.Graphic, false);
      HDSave.Resize(244, 167);
      HDSave.SaveToFile(String.Format("$SAVEGAMEDIR$/saveHD%d.bmp",setSlot));

This is not an issue in 3.5.0.26 or 3.5.1.13 afaik. The game's resolution is 640x480. And those are also the dimensions of Clearscreen DynamicSprite. Idk if it's because it's consecutive or what, I've tried a bunch of stuff, nothing seems to procure a non-broken image.

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

eri0o

I know you said it's the save to file, but any chance you tried to show the screenshot on screen before saving? Like, just to confirm the screenshot feature is working, and it's just file saving that is wrong.

Edit: managed to reproduce, it appears it's only saving the file: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/issues/1681

It's a mystery to me because I don't readily detect any change in the functions used, this is the part of Allegro4 we did not remove... So it may be some interaction between these...

Edit2: @Dualnames, CW fixed here: https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5976995031941120

Crimson Wizard

Have anything tried running latest 3.6.0 on linux in fullscreen mode? Trying this on a linux virtual machine results in a completely black window with no video or audio or reaction to input, regardless of the chosen renderer; so I am wondering if that's vm or engine's problem.

Baguettator

Hi !

About my text problems, it seems that I fixed that (or it fixed itself), I didn't understand well what happenned, so maybe it was my fault, I don't know. If I encounter another similar problem, I will post it :)

I tried to change the game translation, and it seems that the texts don't update when the function Game.ChangeTranslation is called. For example, I change my game from french to english, nothing happenned (texts still in french), but when the mouse went on a button, suddenly its text changed to the english one. Labels were not translated and the mouse didn't do anything on them. Surely because their image doesn't update when mouse is on them (and buttons do update).

Is it a problem with the Beta 3.6.0.25 ?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Baguettator on Sun 12/06/2022 12:25:54
I tried to change the game translation, and it seems that the texts don't update when the function Game.ChangeTranslation is called. For example, I change my game from french to english, nothing happenned (texts still in french), but when the mouse went on a button, suddenly its text changed to the english one. Labels were not translated and the mouse didn't do anything on them. Surely because their image doesn't update when mouse is on them (and buttons do update).

Is it a problem with the Beta 3.6.0.25 ?

This sounds like a problem with control texture update; i thought that this was fixed long ago, but will look again.

eri0o

@Baguettator, when you ask about 3.6.0.25, this is the version you are using or the version you are considering to upgrade to?

Baguettator

@eri0o it's the version I'm using ! ;)

Crimson Wizard

I missed this problem, it exists even in 3.5.1, which is very unfortunate. So it has to be fixed there too, and a new patch must be released.

Baguettator

Before I was with 3.5.1 (not the last patch), and it worked perfectly for me. It's only since 3.6.0.25.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Baguettator on Mon 13/06/2022 15:39:53
Before I was with 3.5.1 (not the last patch), and it worked perfectly for me. It's only since 3.6.0.25.

I just tested changing translation in the latest 3.5.1, and this bug is also present.

Dualnames

Is there a reason why changing one's OS settings from 24bit 48khz to 24bit 44khz would make an audio thing play properly (audio-crackling)?
I even tried rendering the file to 48 [it's originally at 44khz, and an ogg], but the issue i think lies outside the specific gamefile.

The same file plays fine outside of the engine. Is the default sample rate in-game set to 44?

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

eri0o

Which os, which audio driver, which version... These would be needed. SDL2 in the end will use something to output sound.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 13/06/2022 19:28:01
Is there a reason why changing one's OS settings from 24bit 48khz to 24bit 44khz would make an audio thing play properly (audio-crackling)?
I even tried rendering the file to 48 [it's originally at 44khz, and an ogg], but the issue i think lies outside the specific gamefile.

The same file plays fine outside of the engine. Is the default sample rate in-game set to 44?

For the reference, according to the library code, the default openal's context is 48 khz.
But indeed we need more information on what os, what settings do you change, which audio driver do you use, and so on.
Also, I did not quite catch which frequency worked and which did not from your explanation.

glurex

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 13/06/2022 15:32:09
I missed this problem, it exists even in 3.5.1, which is very unfortunate. So it has to be fixed there too, and a new patch must be released.
Strange, I used the change game translation function in AGS 3.5.1 for Another Museum and it works without problem.

Baguettator

Exactly as me,I used long ago and it worked perfectly !

Dualnames

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 13/06/2022 20:06:26
Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 13/06/2022 19:28:01

For the reference, according to the library code, the default openal's context is 48 khz.
But indeed we need more information on what os, what settings do you change, which audio driver do you use, and so on.
Also, I did not quite catch which frequency worked and which did not from your explanation.

The 24bit 44khz in the OS settings works. OS is Windows 10, audio driver is default.
But I can ask for more info if we can be a bit more specific, on what else we need, I'm not sure if the end user is knowledgable. To my knowledge, no settings were changed in the game's setup. [so whatever the defaults are]

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 13/06/2022 21:19:59
The 24bit 44khz in the OS settings works. OS is Windows 10, audio driver is default.

Could you clarify what setting that is, just to be sure, because I don't remember ever using such setting, neither thought that an os setting could conflict with the program.
I found one on Windows 7 in sound devices, according to it I have 48khz set apparently. Changing to 44khz on my Windows 7 does not seem to make any difference.
I may try on Windows 10 virtual machine later (although idk how close it is to emulate this behavior).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk