AGS 3.6.0 - Beta 15

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 20/03/2022 20:23:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

@Baguettator, the bug was introduced in AGS 3.5.1 Patch 3.
I think in order to be noticed, there have to be separate GUIs with text on screen. If you have only 1 gui displayed with a button which changes translation, then the whole gui gets redrawn as soon as the button is pressed, so text is redrawn with the new translation as well. But if you have multiple guis, then you will see that only one with a "change translation" button is changed, until you do something with others.

Here's a fixed temp build for 3.6.0:
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5957467392704512

eri0o

audio driver in my windows 10 machine, when I leave to default, is WASAPI, not sure if it's the same in the person of the case Dualnames mentions. I tried also directsound and winmm (Wave) and tried to vary the speakers default format for shared mode for sample rates and bit depth (not sure if this is where these are actually changed), but neither produced crackling.

@Dualnames, if the game is Strangeland, I am curious if could be a mix of the different things (ags and the plugin that uses SDL_mixer) accessing SDL2 audio backend.

Anyway, I would try using winsetup and then switching to directsound and seeing if this fixes it!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Mon 13/06/2022 23:47:41
audio driver in my windows 10 machine, when I leave to default, is WASAPI, not sure if it's the same in the person of the case Dualnames mentions

By the way, it's logged, so you may ask a player to run with logging and check the info.
Log is set in config as
[log]
file=info
and the log file may be found in %USERPROFILE%/Saved Games/Adventure Game Studio

Dualnames

I will try that, meanwhile: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1346360/discussions/0/3416557114763335804/?tscn=1655196272
This kind of a weird issue, I'm not sure I understand the problem here, to fully answer this.

@eri0o: No, this is not about Strangeland, this is about Old Skies.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

eri0o

damn, about the mouse issue the person mentions, it's probably because the person is used to the 144MHz monitor.

AGS runs game and graphics in the same sequence, so either it would need to render separately (in different threads), or separate this just for the mouse somehow, perhaps using the OS mouse if it's available - but keeping the existing approach if it's not, or doing this by a setting, I don't believe every platform will allow to override system cursor graphics, like mobile probably won't.

There's SDL_Cursor, so perhaps we could use SDL_CreateColorCursor, but not sure what that will entail, because then the lifetime of the cursor sprite is disconnected from the game graphics. Probably would need an issue on github to track this, but in essence, this is a new feature since I think the allegro ags version was using in engine rendered cursor - not sure if this is true in really older versions, since I remember at a point there was an issue of duplicated cursors, but there wasn't 144Hz monitors back then too.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Tue 14/06/2022 13:01:16
AGS runs game and graphics in the same sequence, so either it would need to render separately (in different threads), or separate this just for the mouse somehow, perhaps using the OS mouse if it's available - but keeping the existing approach if it's not, or doing this by a setting, I don't believe every platform will allow to override system cursor graphics, like mobile probably won't.

There's SDL_Cursor, so perhaps we could use SDL_CreateColorCursor, but not sure what that will entail, because then the lifetime of the cursor sprite is disconnected from the game graphics.

EDIT: scrapped previous post.

Do i understand correctly that this is about "hardware cursors", which do not depend on game's own rendering?

Dualnames

Meanwhile regarding the audio:

Here's an mp4 recording that showcases the problem.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18aGJbJisQdNvLuBzX6ujDfzNGzj7vPnE/view?usp=sharing

Here is the log:
http://primordia-game.com/Files0/ags.log

If this is missing key information do let me know of parameters for --log that are needed to show proper inf!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

eri0o

For the audio, did changing to direct sound changed anything?

For the mouse, I opened a feature request to track this on GitHub, so it's easier to follow and report experiments there. I also was very specific about system cursors instead of going the rendering route, if that road proves not a good one, than closing and going the other is a possibility, but I was worried about the size of scope of the other approach.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 14/06/2022 14:13:59
Meanwhile regarding the audio:

Here's an mp4 recording that showcases the problem.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18aGJbJisQdNvLuBzX6ujDfzNGzj7vPnE/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: Ah, sorry, nevermind again.
The problem is in sound cracking, correct? The sounds overall are not distorted or anything (it seems).

Dualnames

The problem is speech, music, sound anything audio related crackles [I had the person test everything with everything else muted, crackle appears in all audio types/categories]

Edit: The only thing that makes it disappear is setting the OS Settings to be 24bit 44khz. [That's in the audio-device settings]
Edit: And yes, only crackling, no sound distortion.

Crimson Wizard

@Dualnames, have they tried different audio drivers?

The selection is now available in winsetup, on advanced tab.

Snarky

Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 14/06/2022 12:42:02
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1346360/discussions/0/3416557114763335804/?tscn=1655196272
This kind of a weird issue, I'm not sure I understand the problem here, to fully answer this.

Christ, the whining! "Nausea" because the cursor updates at 40 fps. (roll)

eri0o

About the audio, I found an open bug report in SDL2 issue tracker that looks suspicious: https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/issues/5538

(also more info in https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX/issues/1390 , it seems the WINMM (Wave) audio driver from sdl2 should bypass this issue at the cost of a bit of latency, I imagine it's negligible for 99% of adventures. No one tested direct sound though)

@Dualnames, my suggestion would be figuring out the person's hardware and drivers and open an issue on our GitHub with all of this information to track. Possibly the end solution would come from upstream if turns out these are the same issues.

(And of course, changing the audio driver like CW showed, trying directsound and Wave and seeing if any of those solves the issue. Curious stuff if it's resampling related like in SDL2 bug report, since Wasapi used to not support resampling, but is theoretically supporting resampling now since a Win10 update. Looking for this, it seems this is not supported on WASAPI still in some cases...)

Julius Dangerous

Baguettator

@Crimson Wizard : Thanks for the fix, I will try it in a proper release :)

Dualnames

No other options fix the issue, we tried em all.

I had this issue on my implementation of SDL for Strangeland, specifically on the backbuffer [meaning when the sounds start/loop] so I forwarded 1 bitrate ahead [4092 samples]. Not sure if that helps in any way. I also primarily used SDL mixer for the audio things.

Dualnames

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 14/06/2022 15:38:02
Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 14/06/2022 12:42:02
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1346360/discussions/0/3416557114763335804/?tscn=1655196272

Christ, the whining! "Nausea" because the cursor updates at 40 fps. (roll)

Old Skies actually runs at 60 fps, same as Unavowed.

Snarky

Looking at the other posts of the person reporting this, it seems to be something of an idiosyncratic obsession. Adventure games generally don't require quick mouse movements or reaction times, so while it might be nice to refresh the cursor more frequently (though that also seems to open up a vast new scope for bugs, if the cursor isn't where the script thinks it is/was), it should hardly be a high priority. I mean, plenty of people play shooters just fine in 60fps.

Using the OS cursor strikes me as very undesirable unless you fully control its appearance, and at that point you're back to needing to hook into the script (e.g. to vary the cursor depending on mouse button input or mouseover).

Dave Gilbert

Another user just reported the "crackling audio" bug. He said the "It is a very typical noise when, for example, the source and playback device do not have the same sampling rate." The sounds for Old Skies (and all our games for the last 16 years) are exported at 44100kz, and most PCs are set to play at 48000 by default, but it's never been a problem before.

edit: The user tested Blackwell Epiphany and did not encounter the problem, so it is probably something introduced in a later version of AGS.

Dualnames

This user's OS is Windows 10, and his soundcard is "Soundblaster ZxR" and he's using "Voicemeeter Potatoe" for sound controls [whatever that means].
EDIT: 2nd case [the one reported by Dave, also Blackwell Epiphany is on 3.5.1.13 so naturally the issue is not there]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk