AGS 3.6.0 - Beta 15

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 20/03/2022 20:23:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Bump.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 10/06/2022 10:20:23
Have anything tried running latest 3.6.0 on linux in fullscreen mode? Trying this on a linux virtual machine results in a completely black window with no video or audio or reaction to input, regardless of the chosen renderer; so I am wondering if that's vm or engine's problem.

eri0o

I booted from a live USB on Ubuntu 22.04, and installed the .deb from the GitHub release. It did not install sdl2, but I manually installed it - I may have installed the deb wrong though.

But anyway, I went to try some games. The game works (no black screen), but whenever it exits, it's giving me the following error on command line:
corrupted double-linked lists
Aborted (core dumped)

Other than this, the window is weird, like, when I move it it's drawing tracks on the screen... It may be something about Nouveau, but I need to figure how to install Ubuntu in this computer without losing my windows drive before I can install the real Nvidia driver on this machine.

Oh, right, full screen works fine.

Dualnames

Do textboxes support unicode? Meaning can I write something in a textbox, and provided the font exists, have it displayed properly? What i mean specifically, is let's say i have a font on a textbox that displays greek characters, can i write in greek in the game on said textbox or no?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 18/06/2022 02:20:41
Do textboxes support unicode? Meaning can I write something in a textbox, and provided the font exists, have it displayed properly? What i mean specifically, is let's say i have a font on a textbox that displays greek characters, can i write in greek in the game on said textbox or no?

It should, if I remember correctly.

If you are scripting a custom textbox (using a label or drawing surface), then you should utilize the new "on_text_input" callback, as "on_key_press" cannot handle full unicode range:
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags-manual/wiki/Globalfunctions_Event#on_text_input

Dualnames

That's awesome, one problem however, even though I have it set to false, which means the new key should be enabled.

Code: AGS
function on_text_input(int ch)
{
QuitGame(0);
}

This callback never gets executed, unless it needs to be in globalscript. I assume me pressing any key on a textbox would trigger this.
EDIT: Even in globalscript it doesn't.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

eri0o

Did you enable it in General Settings?

Dualnames

Yes. If we're talking about the same thing!

Dualnames

Also meanwhile a user of Old Skies, is running into this error:

Initializing audio
SDL : ERROR: DEBUG: Audio target 'dsound' not available
Failed to initialize audio backend: Audio target 'dsound' not available
Audio is disabled

That's as much as I can gather.
"Dunno if it has a name, it was packed with my old headset from Beyerdynamics.   Or is it just some sort of converter? I have no idea from such things.  It's still weird for me though that it only happens on this AGS version as it seems?"

Whereas, they are using an external soundcard connected via USB on their PC. Tried a bunch of settings on the audio device, but no luck."

eri0o

Can you tell which Operating System? And how it's being run? Also, dsound is not a default, they may have set it through a config or they have a SDL environment variable that is hijacking the default.

Btw, Native Linux doesn't run with our SDL2 I think, it will run with the sdl2 from Steam. At least I remember in my Linux computer Steam injected an environment variable that did this redirect. This is important when trying to figure out a bug in SDL.

Edit: sdl2 will accept dsound now in it's next release: https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/issues/5818

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 18/06/2022 11:53:17
This callback never gets executed, unless it needs to be in globalscript. I assume me pressing any key on a textbox would trigger this.

No, it does not trigger by the textbox, as textbox steals the key presses. As I mentioned, you should be using that If you are scripting a custom textbox (using a label or drawing surface) (not using default one).

Dualnames

The log is the same with "default" set on audio device, it reverts to "directsound"

pasting their acsetup.cfg

[graphics]
driver=OGL
filter=StdScale
fullscreen=desktop
game_scale_fs=proportional
game_scale_win=round
refresh=0
render_at_screenres=0
vsync=0
window=default
windowed=0
[language]
translation=
[misc]
antialias=1
cachemax=131072
shared_data_dir=
user_data_dir=
[mouse]
auto_lock=0
speed=1.5
[sound]
driver=
enabled=1
usespeech=1

Dualnames

Meanwhile on the "on_text_input(int ch)" front, it seems to work, but it's not capturing all keys. Specifically, for example greek alphabet/happens partially on korean too.

{
player.SayBackground(String.Format("%d",ch));
}

Shows nothing on the majority of the key presses. For instance typing "αβγο" which would be A->B->G->O doesn't show any number on that say command.
Thoughts?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 18/06/2022 14:24:15
Meanwhile on the "on_text_input(int ch)" front, it seems to work, but it's not capturing all keys. Specifically, for example greek alphabet/happens partially on korean too.

{
}

Shows nothing on the majority of the key presses. For instance typing "αβγο" which would be A->B->G->O doesn't show any number on that say command.

I would have to make a test game and investigate this.
Could you tell which keyboard layout do you use on your system?

Dualnames

qwerty, I've installed Greek and Korean, and used both mine and the onscreen keyboard, windows 10.

eri0o

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 18/06/2022 14:24:15

{
}

Thoughts?

I set here to greek and got 913, 914, 915 and 927 forÎ'Î'Î"Ο, and then 945, 946, 947 and 959 for αβγο. Below the keyboard I used in Win10. Is this the one you have set?

Spoiler
[close]

Crimson Wizard

@Dualnames, also, to double check, since I cannot remember if you mentioned if the game is set to unicode mode:
- General Settings -> Text format -> should be Unicode
WARNING: if it's not, make sure to make a backup of your game, because switching to unicode will reencode and resave most game files.

if you're using translations, they all also need to have a utf-8 Encoding option in TRS, because translations switch the engine between ascii and utf-8 modes for backwards compatibility.
(actually, I wonder if i should disable this if game is already utf-8, as it's difficult to imagine why you would use ascii translation in a unicode game, other than by mistake)

More detailed info here:
https://adventuregamestudio.github.io/ags-manual/UpgradeTo36.html#unicode-support

Dualnames

@eri0o Yes!

@CrimsonWizard Also yes, it's already set there.

Does the script API and compatibility need to be at 3.6.0? It's set to 3.5.1 atm.

EDIT: eri0o if it's small can u send me over that project where u tested the thingie, to see if it works on my end? If it does, it's an error on my end, if it doesn't there's something else.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 19/06/2022 11:17:17
Does the script API and compatibility need to be at 3.6.0? It's set to 3.5.1 atm.

Hmm, no, I don't think that matters. Unicode mode lets it have proper codes, and "Use old key input mode" (true or false) defines whether on_text_input is called at all.

What about text display, will it show up correctly if you just display the string of Greek/Korean text on screen?

Dualnames

Yes, everything else works perfect! It works when it replaces english text [via the translation] it also works if i type greek characters into a label on the editor as well.

Baguettator

Hi again ! I created a new translation file (in the editor), and I saw that the texts inside it were badly displayed. Each éèÉ etc... was displayed badly.

I'm still using the Unicode format. Any idea ? I never got such problems before (I'm using AGS 3.6.0.25)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk