AGS 3.6.0 - Beta 15

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 20/03/2022 20:23:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Pax Animo

Heya,

I'm having an issue with beta 11 which involves dialogue scripts, *untested in beta 12

The issue is all dialogue scripts are wiped within the // Dialog script file,  (thank god for backups) as at the moment it's happening randomly but it tends to be happening more often
while editing anything within dialogue scripts.

I'm trying to pin point what triggers this to happen so for now my explanation is rather vague.
Misunderstood

Dave Gilbert

This just happened to me as well! I don't know what caused it.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Pax Animo on Mon 01/08/2022 02:11:23
The issue is all dialogue scripts are wiped within the // Dialog script file,  (thank god for backups) as at the moment it's happening randomly but it tends to be happening more often
while editing anything within dialogue scripts.

The Dialogs Editor seem completely broken now.
When I save game and reload, sometimes few last options seem to dissapear.
When I close dialog and reopen within same session - options duplicate.

I don't know if these all are related or different errors.

So at least the latest 3.6.0 releases are not usable (at least if your game has dialogs).

Crimson Wizard

There's a temp build with a fix, will be available for download here (in like 20-30 mins from now):
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6198532477550592

This fixes script and dialog editor's initializations, which had been broken by some unrelated change back in Beta 11.
It definitely fixes the dialog options duplication, and I hope will also fix other strange things happening to dialogs.

EDIT: considering the seriousness of these bugs, I will make a proper update later today.

Crimson Wizard

Updated to Beta 13
(use download links in the first post)

This is an emergency hotfix. It fixes the bugs with the dialog editor, when it was duplicating options every time you open a panel. Also *hopefully* fixes the problem with disappearing dialog scripts (I was not able to reproduce that exact issue myself, only seen something similar). Still please keep an eye on dialogs and report if something is unusual (and please make regular backups).

Editor:
- Fixed Dialog and Script panel initialization mistakes that were causing a number of strange errors (regression since 3.6.0.31).
- Fixed Image and View properties in various objects were allowing negative values.
- Fixed some of the object previews (at least GUI) could crash if user entered a non-existing sprite's number as an Image property.

Script API:
- Added File.WriteRawInt() to complement ReadRawInt().

On the topic of the 3.6.0 release, I'm not planning to add anything else here, only fix reported bugs; and there are couple of tasks regarding documentation left.
And this issue with fonts in game templates: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=60120.0

Dave Gilbert

Thanks so much! Will dutifully check it out in the morning.

Pax Animo

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 05/08/2022 00:50:22
Updated to Beta 13

(I was not able to reproduce that exact issue myself, only seen something similar). Still please keep an eye on dialogs and report if something is unusual (and please make regular backups).

Thank you for the fix.

It's certainly a tricky one to duplicate, I'll keep posted of any further issues.
Misunderstood

Crimson Wizard

Another issue found: when engine is playing MP3 music from the full game package it may skip past the end and continue playing audio.vox contents, as if it were one big MP3 file. This is a funny effect, when you start one MP3 clip, but it keeps playing all of them in order.

Following temp build fixes it (will post a proper update later):
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6254162487803904

Crimson Wizard

Updated to Beta 14

Editor:
- Fixed importing SCI fonts.

Script API:
- Extended Screen.ScreenToRoomPoint() with an optional "restrictToViewport" argument, which lets to choose whether tests over empty place result in conversion through the default viewport or a null pointer.
NOTE: this by default helps to prevent null pointer errors if the player clicks outside of the room view.

Engine:
- Fixed ShakeScreen does not work with Software renderer.
- Fixed audio may fail to initialize, if game's config has one driver set, while SDL_AUDIODRIVER enviroment variable has another.
- Fixed MP3 clips do not stop at the end (nor rewind), and continue to play next MP3 files found in a audio.vox.
- Fixed loading pre-2.55 games (2.50 - 2.54 to be precise, as the current engine still cannot load anything earlier than 2.5).
- Fixed on_key_press callback causing errors in some very old games (probably pre-2.60).
- Fixed restoring legacy savegame format.

Compatibility:
- Support Label.TextAlignment with legacy alignment constants for pre-3.5.0 games made with the custom engine from "Clifftop Games".
- Support native resolution hack for games made with "Clifftop Games" custom engine, where 640x400 games are run as 640x360.

eri0o

Hey, the tag is correct, but the name of the release here should be 34 instead of 33 : https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/tag/v.3.6.0.34

tservo

Hello I am curious if anyone else has a problem with 3.60 on android namely no mouse cursor or touch input working.Version 3.51 works perfect. Thanks wanted to make sure its not just me.  3.60beta 14 android 11.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: tservo on Thu 18/08/2022 21:55:34
Hello I am curious if anyone else has a problem with 3.60 on android namely no mouse cursor or touch input working.Version 3.51 works perfect. Thanks wanted to make sure its not just me.  3.60beta 14 android 11.

Hello. I just tried latest android build (3.6.0 beta 14), and everything works fine. I have an old simple device with Android 5.1, if that matters.

Please tell, are you running games using the game launcher (aka "AGS Player") or compiling your own game apks for Android?
When you say "there's no cursor" do you mean there's actually no cursor image on screen right after you run the game?
Does this happen with particular games, or virtually any?

tservo

I am using the ags launcher. the games start up but then no matter where i press on the screen ( i have show spots enabled to see where i press) nothing happens. the games that show an actual cursor or mouse with v3.51 show nothing on screen in 3.60 at the start screens . it happens with all games and games made to run specifically in 3.60 only as well. 3.51 works almost flawless on dozens of games using android 11.  the backbutton works bringing up keyboard and special keys and i can exit that way. it is as if the player doesn't register any inputs. i tried the settings in preferences no difference. thanks for responding.  oh and it is the same with beta 13 or before.i also tried debug and release apks  same thing.

eri0o

@tservo, can you be specific at which device you have where this is happening? I need to be able to reproduce it.

I do have a test in mind I could make for you to try.

tservo

My device is one plus 10 Nord 5g with Android 11.ags ver 3.51 works great all input touches work. Ags player 3.60 no inputs registered at start screen on any games.i have some games that require 3.60 that ags 3.51 cannot play. The games start ok but again no inputs register and no mouse cursor appears   thank you for helping

eri0o

@tservo, if you have time, can you try this apk: AGS-3.6.0.34-release-experimental.apk ?

tservo

Hello I uninstalled the v3.60 i had on android and installed this experimental ver. Good news is 3.51 games and 3.60 games load and play and the mouse cursor is showing and the left mouse button click with one finger touch now works but the rmb hold one finger use 2nd finger is not responding or working.  i tried a bunch of games that switch icons with rmb and none respond to the hold finger use 2nd finger. looks like something still prevents that. thank you again for fixing some of it .

eri0o

Right click is not implemented in this version, this is using the regular SDL touch->mouse convertion, which simply doesn't have it. I also did not understand previously if you were using only touch screen or if you had any additional device connected to your phone - like a Bluetooth mouse, or a Wacom/Samsung S-Pen.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Tue 23/08/2022 09:10:11
Right click is not implemented in this version

You probably mentioned this earlier, but I missed or forgot. Does this mean that AGS 3.5 could emulate right click on Android, but 3.6 cannot? If so, this is a problem that should be documented. Could you open a ticket describing this situation, and what prevents from having similar functionality?

eri0o

Is it alright to add in #1716 ? The general gist is there's no touch handling at all in AGS, and we rely on the default touch->mouse translation from SDL2. I believe it's better to design the API/behavior in a way that touch directly can be handled by the game developer, as in #1538 and later figure this other behavior, so that it doesn't conflict, as I believe it's more important to enable proper touch support.

Essentially

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk