Background Blitz: Golf Club (CLOSED)

Started by Elvis Tanner, Tue 12/04/2022 09:49:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvis Tanner

Background Blitz - Golf Club

Ladies and gentlemen, it is a great honor to host this round of Background Blitz. Your task, should you decide to accept it, is to draw a part of a golf club.

It can be the golf course, where the golfers play. It can be the pro shop, where they buy their equipment. It can be the driving range, where they practice or it can be the clubhouse, where they get drunk after the round. But make it golfish.

Please submit your entry until the 30th of April.

We are now VOTING until the 10th of May! You have one vote for each of these categories:

Concept: What is your background about? What sort of mood does it spark? What is, as it were, the big idea?
Playability: What is its opportunity for gameplay like? Walkable areas, hot-spots, and so forth?
Artistic Execution: How well does the picture convey an atmosphere? How well is it executed?

Here are the entries:

by stylez75

by OneDollar

by Hannah_Banana

by newwaveburritos (Newwaveburritos pointed out, that he took the buttresses and the door pretty directly from the Indiana Jones graphic adventure. Please decide for yourself how this influences your voting behavior.)

DBoyWheeler

Aww, no photo of the cigar guy?

Oh well.

Good luck to everyone who enters.

stylez75

OneDollar

Spent way longer than I'd intended to on this.

[imgzoom]https://onedollarproductions.co.uk/uploads/MiniGolfBG.png[/imgzoom]
The bonus 19th hole of Captain Greenbeard's Pirate Mini Golf - get a hole-in-one and win a coupon for a free game. That's just what you need to get rid of that annoying kid who's hogging the claw machine in the arcade. It's a difficult shot though, you're never going to make it on your first try. Unless you can somehow tip the odds in your favour...

stylez75

OneDollar very nice job so much detail. Awesome job!

Hannah_Banana

In a galaxy par par away your task is to score a hole in one putting through space and avoiding obstacles to win the coveted ‘Kiss my Putt’ trophy. One shot is all you have, good luck!

newwaveburritos

I doctored up a background to which kinda sorta fits the bill.  Just for fun though since I stole the buttresses and door pretty directly from Indiana Jones because I was in a hurry.  You don't have to consider me for the big prize.

newwaveburritos

Elvis Tanner

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you very much for your great work! As the host of this contest, I am very proud of the backgrounds you have made.

We are nowVOTING until the 10th of May! You have one vote for each of these categories:

Concept: What is your background about? What sort of mood does it spark? What is, as it were, the big idea?
Playability: What is its opportunity for gameplay like? Walkable areas, hot-spots, and so forth?
Artistic Execution: How well does the picture convey an atmosphere? How well is it executed?

Here are the entries:

by stylez75

by OneDollar

by Hannah_Banana

by newwaveburritos (Newwaveburritos pointed out, that he took the buttresses and the door pretty directly from the Indiana Jones graphic adventure. Please decide for yourself how this influences your voting behavior.)

Elvis Tanner

Ladies and gentlemen, please support the aspiring artists who submitted beautiful work to the current Background Blitz: WE NEED YOUR VOTES!

Concept: (Your Vote)
Playability: (Your Vote)
Artistic Execution: (Your Vote)

See above post for details.

Hannah_Banana

My votes are as follows:

Concept: OneDollar
Nice, clean idea of putt putt golf with a pirate theme. Also enjoyed the accompanying back story ☺️

Playability: stylez75
Clear walkable areas and hotspots for game play. Can see clearly how this would work in practice.

Artistic Execution: OneDollar
Great style, use of colour and layout. Works well and captures your curiosity with the central fountain and hole.

ildu

This was a tough one! Sorry if this skews too much, but I think I have to give it all to OneDollar :). I was just deliberating so long about which category to drop, but honestly I just prefer OneDollar's piece in each one. I think the concept of a 19th hole is fantastic and the flavor text just sells it so well. I want to play it already! In terms of playability it also stands out, and artistically it's detailed and feels ready for use.

Concept: OneDollar.
Playability: OneDollar.
Artistic Execution: OneDollar.

Sinitrena

Concept: Hannah_Banana - I like the bird with its helmet.
Playability: OneDollar - Clear walkable are, lots to interact with; what more do you need?
Artistic Execution: OneDollar - looks beautiful, wonderful pixle art.

All other entries also have their charm. I wish I could give a few more votes.

OneDollar

Never sure if I'm supposed to vote in things I've entered. If you want to count my votes:

Concept: Hannah_Banana - Golf in space! I imagine the bird swooping down and grabbing the ball just as I think I'm about to make the shot, or trying to bounce off the different objects.
Playability: newwaveburritos - Clear layout and large walkable area that lets you get to most of the screen.
Artistic Execution: stylez75 - I like the creepy but fun atmosphere of a deserted golf course in a forest at night.

Elvis Tanner

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for all your votes. And the winner is... OneDollar for Hole 19 at Captain Greenbeard's Pirate Mini Golf!

A few personal words: A big thank you to the four competitors who contributed wonderful backgrounds. Actually I liked every single background very much. Stylez75's work in the style of early Sierra adventures reminded me of the good old times when I was playing Space Quest and I'd sure like to experience a golf themed adventure in this surroundings. OneDollar surprised me with a very detailed and beautifully crafted minigolf hole and added a background story to create atmosphere. I'd love to know how the story continues... Hannah_Banana had me from the Kiss My Putt pun and delivered an extraordinary golf course in space. I like the colors she used and the many details and funny ideas she included. That little bird fella with the astronaut's helmet is my favourite. Last but not least Newwaveburritos entered with a background that I love simply for the fact that it is in the style of the most beautiful graphic adventure I have ever played: Colonel's Bequest. How great would it be to find a putting green behind a hidden door in the Colonel's mansion?

Well done everybody!

OneDollar, the burden honor of hosting the next Background Blitz is now yours! Good luck!

OneDollar

Thanks everyone, and great backgrounds all around! I'll start a new competition shortly.

Quote from: Elvis Tanner on Wed 11/05/2022 06:02:06I'd love to know how the story continues...
It takes three attempts to win the prize, but as you only have one golf ball you'll need to find another two. On a connected background (that I conveniently haven't drawn) there's a fellow golfer struggling to putt up a slope, a motion-activated parrot animatronic connected to a speaker and a golf hole decorated with a miniature pirate ship. Check the fountain and you'll see a discarded golf ball, but it's out of reach and our protagonist isn't about to get their shoes wet. Instead you grab the rigging from the pirate ship and combine with your golf club to form an impromptu net, then use that to fish the ball out the water. You get the second ball by turning the volume on the parrot speaker all the way up, then activating the parrot just as the golfer is about to putt making it squawk loudly and surprising them. They'll accidentally hit the ball really hard, bouncing it off the walls and scenery. It ends up in the treasure chest, so you can take it from there. Then it's just a case of using all three balls to attempt the 19th hole three times and you'll win on the third try.

It's all obvious in hindsight really.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk