AGS Development > Engine Development

3D/Positional Audio using OpenAL

<< < (3/3)

eri0o:
I like node based audio libraries like AVAudioEngine for Apple devices and the Web Audio API in Web Browsers (Firefox, Chrome and Safari). But I don't know any library with similar functionality that is also cross platform, easy to port and has a license that is friendly to apple devices and consoles.

Crimson Wizard:

--- Quote from: eri0o on 22 Apr 2022, 15:57 ---But I don't know any library with similar functionality that is also cross platform, easy to port and has a license that is friendly to apple devices and consoles.

--- End quote ---

This functionality may be written by the engine developers too, if it becomes necessary.

My point was not to say the mojoAL is bad overall, my intent was to voice my concerns about openal's interface may not be ideal for the purposes of this engine and its possible future features.
It's not like we're using alot of openal api at the moment. MojoAL is reusing SDL2 audio, as you mentioned yourself, so it may be seen as a wrapper over SDL2 audio component with buffering and certain sound effects algorithms. I believe that in theory it is feasible to recreate this functionality in a different form.

It also could be that there are ways to solve the mentioned issue within OpenAL as well. I believe that it's worth investigating this question.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version