MAGS May "Museums" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Thu 28/04/2022 03:11:44

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS May?

Another Museum by glurex
7 (77.8%)
The Museum by ddavey1983
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: Wed 15/06/2022 02:08:29

Stupot

Topic: Museums
Chosen by: Elvis Tanner

Voting is now underway.
Please vote using the poll above.

Another Museum
by glurex
The Museum
by ddavey1983

There are a lot of different museums and a lot of things can happen in a museum. A schoolboy can try to sneak in without paying, the custodian of the museum can try hard not to fall asleep during his shift at night, Dinosaurs can come to life, a mummy can start killing people, thieves can steal a painting and Professor Langdon can find clues on the Mona Lisa.

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Stupot

Right guys, it’s officially May.

I rather hoped having a three-day head-start might excite a few people but that didn’t happen.

If ever there was a theme suitable for MAGS, this is the one. Come on, everybody.

Kitty Trouble

I admit I haven't checked the forum in the last few days because I was considering submitting for globetrotting (It's still April here.)

That theme really wasn't my type of thing though. Not sure about museums... I'll have to see if I have energy to make something.

pell

I like the topic. I'll jump in this time.

incobalt

I haven't been around here for ages, and I'm very rusty, but I've been itching to dive back into AGS recently. This MAGS might kickstart the old juices. It's a cool topic, too, though my terrible art skills are crying at the thought of doing something with a museum!

ddavey1983

I've got a bit of an idea. Should be able to come up with something!

Pax Animo

If I'm able to get a few spare days towards the end of the month I may get involved.

Good luck to all which are involved, there seems to be some interest so hopefully we'll see some competition.
Misunderstood

incobalt

I've never done MAGS before (not even back in the day, I don't think), and things have probably changed in a decade. Are there any unstated rules or things that people just don't like seeing in MAGS entries? I don't want to contribute negatively to the community you all have established here already!

Stupot

It’s great to see some early interest. I look forward to your updates :-)

Quote from: incobalt on Wed 04/05/2022 03:48:29
I've never done MAGS before (not even back in the day, I don't think), and things have probably changed in a decade. Are there any unstated rules or things that people just don't like seeing in MAGS entries? I don't want to contribute negatively to the community you all have established here already!

Hi incobalt,
There are no real rules other than it should somehow fit the theme. Of course, how you interpret the theme is entirely up to you. There used to be a rule against using any pre-made assets, but we abolished that rule to encourage more entrants who want to just whip up a game using whatever they can without worrying about whether they suck at art, etc.

Of course, the project itself should be brand new. You can’t just dust off an existing game and change a few bits of dialogue to fit the theme, but you can reuse bits of existing art, sprites, music, code, etc to help you on your way. There’s even a link in the first post to the AGS Trove, a collection of bits and bobs anyone can use. Also, look around for Eric Matyas’s archive of free-to-use textures and music.

incobalt

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 04/05/2022 07:10:57
There are no real rules other than it should somehow fit the theme. Of course, how you interpret the theme is entirely up to you. There used to be a rule against using any pre-made assets, but we abolished that rule to encourage more entrants who want to just whip up a game using whatever they can without worrying about whether they suck at art, etc.

There’s even a link in the first post to the AGS Trove, a collection of bits and bobs anyone can use. Also, look around for Eric Matyas’s archive of free-to-use textures and music.

Thanks! I might poke around the trove and use something in there while I'm getting familiar with AGS again. Last night I remembered walkcycles are a thing and wasn't sure if I was up to it right away.

heltenjon

I have the outlines of a story, but I doubt I have the chops to pull it off. We'll see.

Stupot

How are we getting on, everyone?

Post updates to encourage and be encouraged.

stylez75

Not sure if I will get this done in time. In fact, I've never even completed one project. But I will at least show what I've done. Going on vacation so I will not be around to work on anything for a week !
If anyone wishes to use what I've done to finish it or even work a full story out. Feel free to download the attached file and do whatever you like. to me it's just all for fun and odds are I will never come close to finishing it.

[imgzoom]https://i.ibb.co/4mcwcyd/1.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]https://i.ibb.co/PFsCYG2/2.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]https://i.ibb.co/n3NpRTR/3.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]https://i.ibb.co/XSmbRpC/4.png[/imgzoom]

Source Fileshttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1yzPkI4mDUxwfn51mbtt4V98tln6ftfH3/view?usp=sharing

incobalt

I'm definitely not as fast as all of you, so I've done little more than a background and some objects (and some trolley-pushing code). I am shamefully still using the Roger sprites because the task of painting a walkcycle seems so daunting.

A background, for now:

pell

I have the story and puzzles worked out. Now I'm figuring out the logistics of some of the puzzles and prop handling.

incobalt

I'm sorry to say that I don't think I'll be able to finish this in the week we have left. I should have known better than to try this during the end of classes, especially with wrangling with AGS's many quirks. Plus, I didn't realize I'd have so much to do at work this week either. Hope the rest of you manage to get something in!

glurex

I guess I'll be able to submit an entry. I have finished it and now I'm correcting some relatively minor bugs and polishing the code. It's not a great game though... so don't expect too much.

Imagen4" border="2

glurex

A Monstuano suddenly comes to the Non-Living Entities Redirection Office.

And that means... troubles. The eternal intern of the office will try to get some specific items
to complete the ritual that will lead the Monstuano to his respective paradise.

What does all this have to do with a museum?
Well, where can you get a Roman Patera, an Inca Quero and a Chinese Ding?

Stupot

Lovely to see an entry already. Nice one glurex. Lovely stuff.

Incobalt, no worries man. It’s great that you made it this far, and I hope you can finish the project at some point.
Keep checking the monthly threads for future topics :-)

Pell, we’re root in’ for you.

ddavey1983

My game should be ready for release tomorrow. Didn't think I was going to get it done in time but looks like I will now barring a major disaster.

pell

Quote from: ddavey1983 on Sun 29/05/2022 22:34:23
My game should be ready for release tomorrow. Didn't think I was going to get it done in time but looks like I will now barring a major disaster.

I'm glad someone else is jumping in to challenge glurex, because I'm not going to make it this time.

glurex

Nice! For a moment I was afraid of being the only one to submit an entry.

Stupot

Thanks for the entries, those who were able.
To those who were unable to finish, do not be disheartened. Check out June's contest right here.

It's been a while since we had an actual contest, so lets enjoy playing and voting for MAGS May
Vote using the poll above.

Another Museum
by glurex
The Museum
by ddavey1983

Shadow1000

It seems that this month's entries were about quality, not quantity :-D 2 great entries!

My thoughts:

Another Museum by Glurex
Spoiler
Funny backstory. Great graphics and pleasing music. The best part of this entry is the puzzle design. I love when there is a good variety of puzzles ranging from dialogues, finding items, codes, inventory items and more. The difficulty of the puzzles is perfect for this type of entry and the length of the game is right on for the story and context.

My only complaint was that I feel that the answer to the riddle didn't really match the riddle and I needed to ask for help. Otherwise, very polished and well done.
[close]

The Museum by ddavey1983
Spoiler
Comes as advertised! Lots of history-hopping fun by solving riddles about the British monarchy. I confess that I probably knew less than 10% of the history of most of those monarchs and really enjoyed the experience of learning while playing this game. I just wish I had more time to research and read up more. Big compliments about the incredible amount of time and effort it must have taken to not just get the pictures, but getting a few lines of information on each ruler over a 1000 year span, and then converting it into a rhyming riddle and some jokes.

As much as the experience was really good, I found it to take a lot longer than I had expected. Gameplay took about 1 hour but at times it felt a bit stretched out and repetitive because essentially, the game consists of finding information and matching it with the riddle.
[close]

My vote went to
Spoiler
Another Museum because I felt much more engaged. There's just more fun when you have multiple puzzles going on at the same time with different approaches to rather than one way of solving each puzzle in a completely linear game.
[close]

As I said, both great entries and it's clear that a TON of work went into each. Congrats!

Ponch

Playing today... Voting tomorrow...  :smiley:

Hobo

Quote from: Ponch on Fri 10/06/2022 16:19:23
Ah, living the best life, I see  8-)

I will probably also do the same over the weekend, it's been a while since I played and voted for MAGS.

Ponch

Quote from: Hobo on Fri 10/06/2022 17:28:10
Quote from: Ponch on Fri 10/06/2022 16:19:23
Ah, living the best life, I see  8-)

I will probably also do the same over the weekend, it's been a while since I played and voted for MAGS.
The weekend is the perfect time to get in a little MAGS time! It's what all the cool kids are doing.  :cool:

UPDATE: Voted!

glurex

Nice to see people playing this MAGS games!  :)
I can only speak for myself but any feedback/thoughts are always welcome!

Stupot

Quote from: glurex on Sun 12/06/2022 18:19:47

Seconded. Keep the comments and feedback coming. And remember you can leave comments and ratings on each game’s own page.

Shadow1000

Did you see the comments that I posted a week and a half ago?

glurex

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 13/06/2022 02:56:36

Yes, and since it's my first MAGS it's much appreciated!  :-D

Shadow1000

Quote from: glurex on Mon 13/06/2022 19:43:46
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 13/06/2022 02:56:36

Yes, and since it's my first MAGS it's much appreciated!  :-D

Awesome! I'm sure that some more happy players will share feedback in due time...

heltenjon

I've been busy with work and family stuff, but finally found an opening to play some MAGS games!

Some feedback:

Another Museum by Glurex
Spoiler
Very polished and impressive entry! I like the humour in the story, and also that there were different types of puzzles. The sounds, music and human portraits that for some reason reminded me of the mugshots in Jones in the Fast Lane, all fit the bill. The museum exhibits look very nice, although some places it's a bit dark. There were some red herrings that I spent some time with to no avail
Spoiler
the unknown object behind the glass next to the pyramid, the unknown statue in the dark cornes, the tiny Eros hotspot
[close]
, but that's okay. I must admit I solved the hidden object game by clicking at objects on the screen that I didn't recognize, and I had to use the help function to find the last one. I think this puzzle would have been frustrating without a help function, and I kind of regret not using it all the time, as it would have felt better to actually know what I clicked away. Great use of the UV light, even though it took me a while before I managed to put it away again.

Now, the riddle...I'd have to say this one didn't make much sense to me, and I found the answer in the hints section. I doubt I would have ever guessed it. This is the major flaw in what I'd say is otherwise an excellent entry. It may work better in the original Chinese, or in a language where the word "teeth" is used that way.

I had a problem when I restarted the game with the mouse cursor turning invisible, although reinstalling solved that.
[close]

The Museum by ddavey1983
Spoiler
You've found a formula that works well for the MAGS format. While I enjoyed the riddles and the history lesson and appreciate the pretty pictures throughout, the game is a one-trick pony. I got a bit tired of walking all the way to the correct portrait after a while. It would be interesting to hear some assessment from brits who probably know a bit more about these royal matters than I do. Is it easy for you? It's about right for me, but I did click wrong a few times. Comparing this to the James Bond predecessor, I think I enjoyed that one more, perhaps because of the novelty. At the same time, there's obviously more content in this outing, both graphically and in terms of history lesson fun facts. Still, I had fun and would like to see the sequel(s)!
[close]

Cup of Fools by Stylez75
Spoiler
I checked out this unfinished entry, and it looks like it could have been a fun little heist game. Excellent drawings and some silly humour. A pity that noone made something out of it...in fact maybe I'll do it myself now that my schedule is lighter. I'll have a ponder.
[close]

I voted for
Spoiler
The Museum. Although it dragged a bit at the end, I'm impressed with the sheer amount of history and especially the historical jokes put into it. Even so, Another Museum was even better at most aspects, but the riddle killed the mood a bit for me. I've actually typed in both names and deleted them here several times, it was so hard to choose! Two great games!
[close]

glurex

Nice review, Heltenjon!

Quote from: heltenjon on Tue 14/06/2022 19:36:54
"...and I had to use the help function to find the last one."
Don't worry, that's what the help function is for :-D

There were some red herrings that I spent some time
Don't get me wrong but... nice to read that, because it was done on purpose!  :-D

I had a problem when I restarted the game with the mouse cursor turning invisible, although reinstalling solved that.[/spoiler]
Yes, it's a minor bug I have fixed later. To be fair with ddavey1983, and with rules, when the voting is over I'll update the entry.

Spoiler

or in a language where the word "teeth" is used that way.
Honestly, I don't think the problem is in the word "teeth" since even in english, metaphorically speaking, a key has teeth, but with the bark and guard the temple thing. I guess, maybe I'm wrong, it's some kind of confuse analogy with a watchdog, I don't speak chinesse. But I totally agree with you, it's the lowest point of my game. I was too lazy and looked for a riddle on the internet instead of making one myself.
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: glurex on Tue 14/06/2022 22:47:05
"...and I had to use the help function to find the last one."
Don't worry, that's what the help function is for :-D
Yeah.  ;) But I think I would have had more fun if I forced myself to look for a specific image, like finding them in order, and I could have used that function to accomplish that. As it was, I clicked on something, and then a word disappeared in my list before I had the chance to see what I had found. Some objects are easily recognized, but some are not, at least not for me.

There were some red herrings that I spent some time
Don't get me wrong but... nice to read that, because it was done on purpose!  :-D
:-D Yeah, I reckoned it might be. It's actually great that you found the time to make those in a timed contest such as this. Most times, MAGS games are by necessity quite straightforward.

As for the riddle:
Spoiler
I at once imagined one of those lion/dragon statues that may be on the sides of a temple entrance.
[close]

You others who play, please comment your hearts out. The participants want to hear what you think! It's a great motivation to know someone played your game, and we all want these talents to continue to make MAGS entries, right?  ;-D

ddavey1983

Thanks for all the kind words about the game. Always nice to hear people enjoy them.

Well done glurex! Excellent game and deserved winner.

I voted for you!

Stupot

Congratulations, glurex. A convincing win. You’ll be contacted soon about setting the theme for July.

Unlucky ddavey, and thanks to everyone who voted and to those who participated but were unable to enter. Keep trying.

glurex

Thanks to everyone! I have an idea for July MAGS theme!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk