Fortnightly Writing Competition "PALEOLITHIC" Results

Started by Baron, Tue 24/05/2022 01:28:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Fri 17/06/2022 04:28:21

The declining spelling and sense towards the end of the first-person part of the story suggest this might be the deteriorating brain cells misinterpreting what was actually going on

Yes.

Also,

"the story was cryptic and required reading right to the last line to really get" is the best definition of an O. Henry story that I have ever seen!

Sinitrena

Congratulations to Stupot for the win by numbers. And thank you for giving the honour to host the next round to me. I'll make sure to give clearer instructions for the voting process  :=

Were their specific paintings that served as your inspiration?  It would have been lovely if a picture had accompanied your text.

No specific pictures, no, but I did have a look at some painting and took them as inspiration.

As for the story itself the only logical flaw I can see is the lugging of the sabre-tooth's carcass up the canyon and back to camp - those things weighed in at 160 - 280kg (350-620 pounds)!  Getting close enough to bash the thing on the head with a sharpened rock would also have been problematic - the claws on its outstretched forelimbs would have made a formidable barrier - but I suppose a skilled and daring hunter might have managed it.

I think the cat must have been a young one. Poor kitty! How else could this idiot of a hunter Hchn ever kill her?
(To be honest, I meant to change it so that he skins her and takes her pelt back but somehow didn't.)

Next round coming right up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk