Rock 'n' Roll Will Never Die!

Started by grizzlypants, Thu 28/04/2022 10:21:25

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzlypants

Rock 'n' Roll Will Never Die! out now!

After over three years of work, my heavy metal adventure is finally out on Steam and Itch.io. 10+ hours of wild point-and-click adventures all over the rockosphere with 100+ characters, hand-drawn graphics and a bunch of original music. Get your beer-soaked denim vest and show the world that glam metal is still alive and kicking!

Steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1644080/Rock_n_Roll_Will_Never_Die/
Itch.io link: https://bestgames.itch.io/rock-n-roll-will-never-die

Here's what some reviewers have said about the game so far:

"Possibly one of the best scripts in a point and click."
Vulgar Knight

"It is a modern classic and a game that must be played!"
8/10 – Movies Games and Tech

"Almost flawless."
4.5/5 – Game Reality

Adult content warning: Contains scenes of cartoon violence, including blood and death. There are also instances of strong language, alcohol and drug use, and sexual innuendo.

heltenjon

Congratulations on the release! This looks great!

ThreeOhFour

Congratulations on release, this looks great!

Snarky

grizzlypants

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 29/04/2022 09:52:11
That looks sweet! Very Martin Kellerman.

Thanks! The visual style has definitely been influenced by a bunch of underground comix artists.

Btw Snarky, I'm also using your speech bubble module, so just let me know if you want me to send you a Steam key for the game.

FireFlower

Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

kconan

heltenjon

I'm currently playing this and have been doing so for some days.

I enjoy it very much. The humour is off-the-wall, both in puns and allusions and in how inappropriate bahviour seems to be the main character's normal mode of being.

First things first. The look is inspired by cartoons/comics, and the characters are antropomorphic animals. Frankly, I don't think it would have been easy to get away with some of the humour if the characters were more human in appearance. Animation is a bit limited, but with plenty of funny bits. It gets the work done. The characters and backgrounds are instantly recognizable and it's easy to spot the interactive spots. There's an appropriate original soundtrack, in addition to different tunes from the musicians in the game and a jukebox.

The story, then.
Quote from: grizzlypants on Thu 28/04/2022 10:21:25Adult content warning: Contains scenes of cartoon violence, including blood and death. There are also instances of strong language, alcohol and drug use, and sexual innuendo.
The warning is appropriate. The lengths to which Ted (the main character) will go to in order to get his band back together, know absolutely no bounds. It doesn't matter who else get hurt, how much property damage there is, or how much and whose money is spent. In fact, the implied body count is pretty huge. This may be a turnoff for some players, but it's presented in a funny way, so I'm all in. In fact, I almost assess any situation using opposite logic: What would I have done? Then make Teddy do the opposite.

I've been laughing a lot. The story is ridiculous in itself, the puzzles are great, but do use their own special logic that won't apply in real life. And there's strewn funny bits all over. I expected quotes and allusions to movies and rock lyrics, but there are also stuff from Shakespeare, modern poetry and more. And the puns come quicker than you may grasp them. My favourite pun so far:
Spoiler
In a cemetery, there's a skull and some bones lying around. Ted remarks something like "I wonder if they still have plans to bury the body"..."Remains to be seen."  (laugh)
[close]

My favourite character probably isn't Ted, but it comes close between Leo, the singer with an unhealthy apetite for hot dogs, the "Guy on a Date" background character that turns into a running gag through all his dates gone wrong, and my favourite: Bob Dog (whose name may be a reference to Swedish band Bob Hund?) who constantly tries to make it in the food/hot dog stand business despite all his ventures being destroyed by Ted's actions.

The story has its twists and turns, so I have no idea how much remains of the game before I'm through. You always get clear goals, and I haven't wondered what to do next so far, although some of the puzzles take their time. It's not exactly difficult, but not quite straightforward either. There are a few logic puzzle minigames, like a Tower of Hanoi minigame with music studio tapes, but these may be skipped if the player don't fancy playing them.

I'm off to the nominations page now, nominating Bob Dog for best character and the game in the best puzzles, best music and best writing categories. While it may not be the best game this year, it's certainly up there.

grizzlypants

Quote from: heltenjon on Mon 23/01/2023 09:03:46My favourite character probably isn't Ted, but it comes close between Leo, the singer with an unhealthy apetite for hot dogs, the "Guy on a Date" background character that turns into a running gag through all his dates gone wrong, and my favourite: Bob Dog (whose name may be a reference to Swedish band Bob Hund?) who constantly tries to make it in the food/hot dog stand business despite all his ventures being destroyed by Ted's actions.

Thanks for the feedback, happy customers make happy developers!

It's especially interesting for me to hear about your favorite characters. Even with the 100+ characters in the game, I think Bob Dog is in my Top 2 of all the characters as well, so I guess the guy has some charm... But who wouldn't love a friendly doggy?

And I never even realized the Bob Hund connection myself, although it's such an obvious music pun! My thinking was just to make the restaurant name a one-vowel tongue twister, "Bob Dog's Nonstop Hot Dogs" (and also play around with similar jokes later). Kicking myself over that one a bit, but I'm glad I made the Bob Hund reference by accident there. All's well that ends well, as Bob Dog famously said!

And for those who haven't played the game yet, here's some shining stars to convince you! Sparkly!

heltenjon

I've now finished the game, and I stand by my praise. The humour and satire doesn't pull any punches, though, so watch out.  8-0  :-D  I was especially delighted to finally find a Zappa allusion. I recommend this game to anyone who like extremely well written non pc humour and don't mind if the main character has a liberal relationship to intoxication and the well-being of others. It's definitely in my top 5 list of AGS releases last year.

grizzlypants

Quote from: heltenjon on Thu 26/01/2023 16:55:36I was especially delighted to finally find a Zappa allusion. I recommend this game to anyone who like extremely well written non pc humour and don't mind if the main character has a liberal relationship to intoxication and the well-being of others. It's definitely in my top 5 list of AGS releases last year.

I'm very happy you enjoyed the game, thanks again for all the feedback! And I'm also glad someone's picking up on the more obscure music references.

grizzlypants

A major update... For all the Linux users!

The heavy metal point-and-click adventure Rock 'n' Roll Will Never Die! (2022) finally gets a Linux version. It was already planned with the original release, but was postponed due to Steam issues. Now, while doing other updates for the game as well, it was finally time to get the Linux version out on Itch.io - with a great discount to celebrate the joyous occasion! The version isn't available on Steam yet, but the Windows version runs on Steam Deck.

And a less major update... For all the Windows users!

There are some minor cosmetic changes and bug fixes. Go play the game, it's now better then ever!

And a sale to boot!

I mentioned the discount, but yeah, the game is also 80% off right now. That's both on Itch.io and Steam. Cheaper than a barrel of monkeys!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk