Easymirrors help?

Started by tilapisha, Wed 04/05/2022 18:24:53

Previous topic - Next topic

tilapisha

I'm having trouble implementing easy mirrors, specifically in declaring a new mirror - I'm confused what the parameter 'center' is.

Code: ags
struct Mirrors2
{

//tells the module that character "c" can be used as a mirror reflection.
  //Call this function at least once (i.e. give the module at least one character)
  //otherwise it can't work!
  //You should call this function as many times as there are mirrors in the room
  // that has the most mirrors.
  //For example if there are two mirrors in a room, and if that is the room
  //of your game that has the most mirrors, then call this function twice.
  //(with two different characters!).
  import static void AddMirrorChar(Character* c); 

//Declares a new mirror in the current room. The player MUST be in that room when NewMirror is called!
  // This must be done only ONCE in the entire game (in "first time enters room")
  // The mirror starts disabled. It has to be enabled (using script) afterwards to be visible.
  //
  // 'mirror' is the object containing the sprite used as the mask.
  // 'center' is a marker. The center of its sprite (width/2, height/2) should be where the player would stand (his feet coordinates) if he was glued to the mirror ;)
  // 'symetry' is one of the symetries in the enum above
  // 'x_offset' and 'y_offset' allow to shit the reflection by a constant number of pixels
  // 'opacity' must be in 0.0, 1.0. Note: if the mirror's opcaity is 1.0 then it's fully opaque, therefore there's NO reflection!
  // 'distance_attenuation' (recommended value '60.0'): if the player stands 0 pixels away from the mirror, his reflection will appear fully opaque. If he's standing 'distance_attenuation' pixels away from the mirror (or more), his reflection will be fully transparent
  import static void NewMirror( Object* mask,  //set to null if no mask
                                Object* center, 
                                Region* reg,   //set to null if mirror always on
                                Mirrors_Symmetries symmetry,  
                                float opacity,  
                                float distance_attenuation,  
                                int x_offset=0,  
                                int y_offset=0);

//Tells the module that this mirror should use an entirely
  //different character altogether as the reflection, instead of computing 
  //the reflection.
  //That character should use Views that have the same number of loops and frames
  //as the player character.
  import static void SetSubstituteCharacter(Object* mask,  Character* c);

//To modify the offset you've set in NewMirror
  import static void SetOffset(Object* mask, int x_offset,  int y_offset);

//To modify the opacity you've set in NewMirror
  import static void SetOpacity(Object* mask, float opacity);

//That doesn't delete the mirrors in memory (which is done automaticaly). It just disables them so that they're not rendered
  import static void DisableAllMirrors();

//Enables all mirrors in THIS room if they've been previously declared with 'NewMirror'
  import static void EnableAllMirrorsInRoom();

//Enables one mirror selectively
  import static void EnableMirror (Object* mirror);

I'm confused what I should put for the center parameter.

tilapisha

Khris

My guess is that object is used to specify the coordinates used to position the mirror image. Draw a small cross hairs sprite (like 9x9 pixels or something like that) and put it on a new room object. Then move the object to the floor below the mirror.

tilapisha

Hmmm, I did that, and still nothing.

Khris

"Still nothing"?
As in, nothing mirrory happens in-game?
Did you activate the mirror?

QuoteThe mirror starts disabled. It has to be enabled (using script) afterwards to be visible.

eri0o

AddMirrorChar -> use this on game_start, if your room with most mirrors has 1 mirror, call once, if your room with most mirrors has 2 mirrors, call twice ...
You pass a dummy character to this function (NOT cGoby), this dummy character is going to be moved by the module, mirroring the character being reflected

NewMirror -> You are using this correctly in room_FirstLoad

You can also do something like the below

Code: ags
bool mirrorsCreated = false;

function room_Load()
{

//do this for each room that has mirrors
  if (!mirrorsCreated) {
  Mirrors2.AddMirrorChar(cDummy);
  Mirrors2.NewMirror(oMirrorMask, oLeftMirrorCenter, null, eSymmetryHoriz,  1.0,  50.0, 0, 10);
    mirrorsCreated = true;
  }

Mirrors2.EnableAllMirrorsInRoom();  
}

Now there's a catch, this module is like super old and it has a scripting error, so I know it says you can make the region be null, but that is a lie

You actually have to make a region in your room, which is the area where the character can stand that will activate the mirror. If you use for instance region 2 you can then pass region[2] there.

the mask is more something like this, with a hole so the cDummy can walk through the mirror border

Finally, I don't understand why you are making the game using 16-bit colors, this causes all sorts of hard to use alpha values, I don't know how things work in 16-bit

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 06/05/2022 04:18:10
Finally, I don't understand why you are making the game using 16-bit colors, this causes all sorts of hard to use alpha values, I don't know how things work in 16-bit

16-bit games don't use alpha on sprites themselves (they are created fully opaque), but they still may use Transparency property on objects.

tilapisha

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 06/05/2022 04:18:10

the mask is more something like this, with a hole so the cDummy can walk through the mirror border

Will you explain this to me? The picture is a bit confusing, I made a mask that covered the whole room, and left the mirror transparent, but the character still can be seen on the walls!

https://ibb.co/p0xqyGQ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk