Found footage horror movies

Started by Mouth for war, Sat 07/05/2022 22:23:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

I've been a horror geek ever since I was a kid so nothing really gets to me anymore.....except....yep you guessed it. Found footage movies!!! Well made FF movies beats the crap out of every "normal" horror movie IMO. I was wondering if there's anyone else here who enjoys those kind of movies and maybe have some gems to recommend that I might have missed? I can highly recommend The fear footage trilogy (Those movies really had me on edge) Hell house was also a superb movie (Also a trilogy but the first one was without a doubt the best and creepiest one) SO...keep 'em coming folks :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Stupot

I enjoy found footage too. I’m not going to be able to provide any obscure gems you don’t already know about but instead I’ll just say that my favourite found-footage film is [•REC]. That film was so well done and scared the crap out of me. I still love watching it today.

I also loved Cloverfield. That’s another film I can rewatch any time. It’s not so scary, but hella fun. It can be a bit too self-knowingly clever but that’s Bad Robot for you.

And of course there’s the Blair Witch Project. It’s been a while since I last saw that film but for me it’s still one of the best found footage films I’ve seen.

TheFrighter

Well, Ruggero Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust (1980) is one of the early "found footage" horror movies. If you could find an uncensored version then it's an experience.

_

heltenjon

I guess you've seen the Norwegian Trollhunter? From what I read, only Scandinavians seem to think it's a comedy.  ??? Good lost footage movie, anyways.

Mouth for war

I saw the uncensored cannibal holocaust back in the 90's 😁 ohhh Trollhunter was amazing! Cloverfield was great too. I also enjoyed Grave encounters 1&2

heltenjon

Perhaps you ought to give Beat The Buzzer a go? Just to try Found Footage in an adventure game/visual novel setting? Well, sort of.

LimpingFish

It's hard to find a FF movie that doesn't over-rely on jump scares, or those ghosts with the big, stretchy mouths. But two of the best I've seen would be...

Noroi
A really good film, period, and probably the best example of J-Horror FF. A slow burn, sure, but super creepy.

Lake Mungo
A mockumentery/ff hybrid that does away with jump scares, focusing more on psychological dread. Again, a slow burn, but very good.

Some other worthwhile FF movies, of varying quality, would be...

The Last Exorcism
The Bay
The Sacrament
Phoenix Forgotten
Willow Creek
Skinwalker Ranch

There also V/H/S, and it's sequels, that contain some effective segments (Amateur Night from the first entry, Safe Haven from the second), despite being a little lackluster overall.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Mouth for war

Laker mungo is one of those that I've been hesitant to watch. It sounds like it's mostly about a family tragedy but it is worth watching then you say? Last Exorcism and the Sacrament are also something  I've been thinking about but never got around to it. The Bay was great! Phoenix forgotten I saw and Skinwalker ranch as well. Noroi I watched too! And speaking of bigfoot movies.. Exists was pretty cool! Directed by Eduardo Sánchez (Blair witch project) Well made and entertaining!

Danvzare

I've always hated Found Footage movies.

But with that being said, someone did recommend one to me once. It was called: Chronicle
It's not a Found Footage Horror movie, but it is a Found Footage movie. I was told it was very good.
Personally I couldn't watch more than five minutes of it, but that's just because of my preferences.

Mouth for war

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 09/05/2022 19:56:12
I've always hated Found Footage movies.

Oh be gone you heathen! :D

Non-horror found footage sounds more boring than church though but I'm gonna check what it is :D

Stupot

I love the idea of a found-footage movie where you’re just watching some shit someone filmed and nothing really happens. It’s like the Coney Island bit from Cloverfield, but 90 minutes if it and nothing even falls into the water, except maybe someone’s hat.

Dualnames

Lake Mungo is imho, the best movie about what Cthulthu represents and has nothing to do with Cthulhu, absolutely a must watch, cannot recommend it enough!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

LameNick

I watched Lake Mungo a week ago after I read LimpingFish's recommendation and I'm still scared to go to the toilette after dark. Scariest most disturbing horror I've seen in a long time.

Also watched Phoenix Forgotten and liked it.

Then I watched Host (2020) about spirit summoning over Zoom gone wrong, quite spooky.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Mandle

Quote from: Mouth for war on Mon 09/05/2022 20:23:57
Non-horror found footage sounds more boring than church though but I'm gonna check what it is :D

It's kind of sci-fi but gets into horror territory.

Mouth for war

Ah that sound a bit interesting!

shaun9991

Noroi is such an incredible film, I could watch it every day!

I recommend checking out The Borderlands: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Borderlands_(2013_film).
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Laura Hunt

The Borderlands is so good! I totally second the recommendation. And I've heard great things about Lake Mungo, but I haven't gotten around to watching it so far. Maybe this is a sign that I should check it out already.

Since it doesn't look like it's been mentioned yet, maybe it's an obvious choice but I remember liking [REC] a lot back in the day. I'm not sure how well it might have aged, but it's probably worth a shot in any case.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Wed 25/05/2022 14:46:55
Since it doesn't look like it's been mentioned yet, maybe it's an obvious choice but I remember liking [REC] a lot back in the day. I'm not sure how well it might have aged, but it's probably worth a shot in any case.

REC and REC 2 are still great. The rest of the REC series is...different. The third one starts off like the first two, but segues into something else entirely. The fourth one is a straight-up zombie movie.

Glad to see people are checking out Lake Mungo. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Stupot

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 26/05/2022 02:16:56
Quote from: Laura Hunt on Wed 25/05/2022 14:46:55

REC and REC 2 are still great. The rest of the REC series is...different. The third one starts off like the first two, but segues into something else entirely. The fourth one is a straight-up zombie movie.

Glad to see people are checking out Lake Mungo. :)

Yeah, I mentioned it way up in the second post. The first movie is one of my favourite films of any genre. The second is basically more of the same, so I enjoyed it. I frankly hated Rec 3 and thought it was utter toilet, but maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind on the day. Rec 4, I watched in Spanish with Japanese subititles and still absolutely loved it.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 26/05/2022 04:28:33
utter toilet

BWAHAHAHAHA! Along with the c-word, an insult that only works in a British accent. But, boy does it work!

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 26/05/2022 04:28:33
Yeah, I mentioned it way up in the second post. The first movie is one of my favourite films of any genre. The second is basically more of the same, so I enjoyed it. I frankly hated Rec 3 and thought it was utter toilet, but maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind on the day. Rec 4, I watched in Spanish with Japanese subititles and still absolutely loved it.

The second one was also really good, yeah. I never bothered with the third one because it wasn't directed by Balagueró, and from the looks of it I really didn't miss out on anything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk