Background Blitz: Unexpected Shelter (WINNER ANNOUNCED)

Started by OneDollar, Wed 11/05/2022 21:01:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannah_Banana

Getting my votes in with the below. Great entries everyone! Enjoy seeing where everyone took this theme.

Concept: newwaveburritos - can picture stumbling across this creepy castle late at night with plenty of opportunity to build up the story and gameplay!
Playability: Nr. 2698 - could imagine coming across a scene like this in game, like the Swiss family Robinson. Good eye for detail with plenty to interact with (I wonder what gameplay could come from the underwear on the line or that cannon).
Artistic Execution: Nr. 2698 - love the look of this one. Very cool!

Hobo

Great to see so many entries in this one and the variety of styles and ideas!

Concept: Nr. 2698
Playability: Hannah_Banana
Artistic Execution: newwaveburritos

Elvis Tanner

Very nice work, everyone!

Concept: Hannah_Banana
Playability: stylez75
Artistic Execution: newwaveburritos

Nr. 2698

Concept:
In this case, @Mouth for war gets to the heart of the matter best and also conveys the appropriate atmosphere

Playability:
In this case it is the background of @Hannah_Banana. Here the figure can perform many interactions and it also offers space for other characters.

Artistic Execution: Here it is also the work of @Hannah_Banana. At first glance, it looks unusual because it has no perspective. This is intentional as far as I can see. The color palette is also nice and coherent and it has a nice stroke.

Mouth for war

Concept: newwaveburritos
Playability: newwaveburritos
Artistic Execution Nr. 2698
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Racoon

Concept: Hannah_Banana, such a funny idea. Love it. There is nothing Stan can't make a business of.
Playability: Hannah_Banana
Artistic Execution: This was a close one between Hannah_Banana and newwaveburritos. My vote goes to newwaveburritos because its beautiful and I have been into pixel art lately and you even took the effort to animate it a little.

cat

Concept: Hannah_Banana
Playability: Hannah_Banana - apart from the obvious interactive parts of the screen, it is also cleverly planned as scrolling room. Just imagine walking in from the left side and then discovering the bar and pool area.
Artistic Execution: newwaveburritos with Hannah_Banana as a close second

ildu

Concept: Hannah_Banana. A colorful oasis in the middle of a vast desert is a great interpretation of the theme. And having Stan randomly appear is the cherry on top :-D. Good job!
Playability: Nr. 2698. I already want to play this. It really evokes a piratey vibe!
Artistic Execution: newwaveburritos. I think this one is fantastic :). Cool style, bold visual ideas, interesting colors - definitely a very unique look, while still being viable.

By the way, super awesome to see so many entries and and voters!

OneDollar

It was very close but with 9 votes (and despite the threat of previously owned cocktails) our winner is Hannah_Banana's desert oasis!

Thanks for all the entries and votes everyone, and over to Hannah for the next theme...

Hannah_Banana

Thanks everyone for the votes. Tough competition with so many great entries!
Nr . 2968, would love to see this in a game and what fun side activities you could come up with the cannon and clothesline.
Newwaveburritos, can see a character stumbling across this castle late at night. Love that you even went the extra effort to add some animation to it.

I’ll start a post tomorrow with the new theme. ☺️ Look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Nr. 2698

Hey Hannah,

congratulations for winning the competition. :)
Yeah, it would be funny to work out something like a self-timer for the gun if the weight on the line isn't right or something.
If the thing goes off, the occupant of the tree comes back and is not at all amused.

Hannah_Banana

Quote from: Nr. 2698 on Sun 12/06/2022 22:58:14
Hey Hannah,

congratulations for winning the competition. :)
Yeah, it would be funny to work out something like a self-timer for the gun if the weight on the line isn't right or something.
If the thing goes off, the occupant of the tree comes back and is not at all amused.

That’d be awesome! Like the crazy old man in monkey island.

You could either aim for something on the isle or the cannon rocks back once fired making a hole in the deck (appearing afterwards in a different backdrop). You can have all sorts of fun with cannons.

Otherwise you need the clothes on the line to dress as another character to enter a secret clubhouse - putting together some kind of fun disguise!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk