The Adventures of Fatman, Special Edition! available on Steam

Started by Ionias, Sat 10/05/2003 19:53:28

Previous topic - Next topic

remixor

What's a chemist's favorite tooth?
the MOLar

What's a chemist's favorite explosive?
a MOLotov cocktail

What do chemists who are also doctors do?
They MOLest you

EDIT: Fatman rules!
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Matt Brown

what chemist lost the 1996 US presidental election?

bob MOLE!! hahaha

okay, sorry to hijack your thread. I'll stop.

I am actually planning on buying this now, now that I finished the demo. prehaps when the next check comes in.

any other reivews pending? I'm really curious about this whole process, a preson indepantly selling a computer game...
word up

Ionias

Yeah, I have a few other reviews in the works. Just Adventure, Adventure Gamers, Game Boomers, The Underdogs, The Inventory, Adventure Developers, AGDzine, and Gamer's Hell. I think that is everyone ... darn all those free copies. :)

Gonzo

The demo is very cool, and the review is encouraging. I'll probably buy a copy around end of June once I have the cash, and after my exams (you'll still be doing it then right?). Don't want to get too distracted!

cornjob

Hey man, I just ordered a copy. I'm looking forward to it!

Ionias

I would have never thought that I'd get this game done before Run Hot. :)

edmundito

With Mr. Spacely's voice: CORNJOB!!!!11  :P
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Quickstrike

Quote from: netmonkey on Thu 29/05/2003 06:24:16
With Mr. Spacely's voice: CORNJOB!!!!11  :P
Hopefully, most people understood that reference.
"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

Privateer Puddin'

cornjob

I got my copy a few days ago. Very cool. I love the "director's commentary" thing. Anyway, I'll post more after I've got a chance to play it more.

Ionias

Well after a huge sever crash over at Adventure Developers.com (my host) .... I've had to move the SOCKO! site to a new host. You can find us at:

http://www.socko-entertainment.com

The game has been reviewed by Gameboomers and Quandaryland now.

M

Just played the demo. Damn, thats good stuff. The music fits the scene really well too. Moody, I like it.

auhsor

Damn, i wish i could get it. I dont think that dad would let me order over the net. And also the fact that i got no money and no job...

downloaded the demo today. good stuff, but those explosions were pretty poor.
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

Ionias

Update: The game has been reviewed by Just Adventure ... and it got a B- ..... Oh Yeah! :)

DragonRose

One guy over on the JA forums has recommended an upgrade to a B.  Pretty cool, Ionias!
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

m0ds

"The only downside is the background music that keeps on playing on the background. Fortunately, the music can be disabled by sliding it to the lowest level in the menu options."

Bastard.

::)

Well done on the B- , Mike :)

m0ds

Ionias

Quote from: m0ds on Thu 26/06/2003 22:09:32
"The only downside is the background music that keeps on playing on the background. Fortunately, the music can be disabled by sliding it to the lowest level in the menu options."

Bastard.

::)

Well done on the B- , Mike :)

m0ds

Don't let it get to yah m0ds ... all the other reviews Fatman has received have all praised the music. :)

Anyway ... I'm sure we'll sweep the AGS awards this year with full honors in the Best Soundtrack category. If that is even a real category ... :)

m0ds

Mike! You're around! Wondered where you'd gotten too.

On second read, to be honest I think that review sucks  :-X Flippy_D and I get the impression that reviewer has never played an adventure game in his life :/

QuoteIf there is a downside to The Adventures of Fatman, it's that a talented game developer like Michael Doak used a Batman look-alike as the main character of the game.

Hold on a minute, perhaps I read the game title wrong. No, it can't be called Fatman can it? No, that doesnt sound anything like Batman... Hang on a minute... a spoof? WHAT!?

QuoteEven the Bat-mobile and Batman's soundtrack is used in the game. I realize that he has created a parody of Batman, but I would have liked to have seen this obviously talented individual use his abilities to create his own superhero style for the main character.

What if this developer wanted to make a Batman spoof? What would you have wanted then, a flake? Rack of lamb perhaps?

QuoteLately the adventure community has been force fed stories revolving around Egypt, Atlantis, or time travel.

No, I think you'll find thats JA's policy of reviewing every 1st person point & click and a 3rd person one... hmm, every now and then when there's a bit of a 1st person drought.

QuoteIt would be nice if for future projects the developer could implement an auto-detection capability similar to the Lucas Arts games of the early 90's.

That's because LEC realised a lot of people were lazy, not because it added something to the game.

QuoteSome people might say that is a different category since Dark Fall is first person perspective whereas Fatman is a third person perspective,

So why don't you just take DOTT instead, and say "The graphics are like DOTT. And that rocks".

QuoteIn fact they are quite pixelated and grainy and are similar in quality to Maniac Mansion or the first entry in the Police's Quest or King's Quest series.

No, MM was in 16 or 18 color or something. Is it me or is Fatman trying to be nostalgic?

QuoteThe controls are very straightforward. Nothing innovative

Were they supposed to be?

What I dont get is that 80% of the review is "Could have been better" and it gets a B-. I bet he gave it that so people wouldn't moan.

No offence to the guy but, from a site that gave MI a B- too, I think they really need to get some adventure fans writing reviews.

Sorry for the moan/rant.

And if you're reading Mr Reviewer, I love you really.

m0ds

Flippy_D

Agreed, there were some really poorly-chosen comments in that review. He blatantly says he thinks graphics are one of the most important aspects of a game, and there seems to be very little focus on the gameplay. Some of his comments begger belief, about the fact that you have to find your way around (Oh, heaven help us! I bet he never found the chimney in DOTT) without visual aids usually only needed by preschoolers (I'm not even sure if Freddy Fish had directions), or maybe the way he wished the dialogue options you've already used greyed out (WHY?! you might need to ask a question again! has this man played any adventure games, ever?). It's late and I have to go to bed, but this seems to me to be a poorly written review if ever I saw one. There should be a second opinion.

And m0ds' music is teh cool.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk