The Adventures of Fatman, Special Edition! available on Steam

Started by Ionias, Sat 10/05/2003 19:53:28

Previous topic - Next topic

cornjob

QuoteIt would not be fair to compare Fatman to a high-budget commercial game as it is the work of one person, but, on the other hand, I have to remain objective. For that reason, I am using Dark Fall as the benchmark for reviewing Fatman's graphics as it also was an Independently Developed game.

Is it just me, or does that line totally not make sense?

Anyway, I finished the game a few days ago. Overall, very nice. A nice assortment of puzzles... My favorite part of the game however, has to be Goldmund's narration. My only criticism is that I wish Toxicman and Fatman met earlier in the game, and more of the game was focused on actively fighting against him. Something to keep in mind for the sequel, I guess?

Ionias

lol m0ds you crack me up. :)

Cornjob: Yeah, I've learned quite a bit about writing a game/plot from working on Fatman. I does seem that just as soon as Fatman finds out about Toxicman and the games pace really picks up ... it's over.  As far another Fatman game ... perhaps someday down the road. I'm taking a bit of a break right now ... whew! :)

Nellie

m0ds

This better be biased...!

Nice!

I also found these nice reviews;

http://www.adventure-archiv.de/f/fatmanreviewe.htm

http://fourfatchicks.com/Reviews/Fatman/Fatman.shtml

;)
m0ds

Ionias

cool.

BTW, m0ds just visited your site ... thanks for the free Fatman ads. :) But my URL has changed to http://www.socko-entertainment.com ;)

m0ds

Okie doke Mike, I'll change that over ASAP. I'm reeeeally awaiting the adventure gamers review. In fact, thats the one I've been waiting for since the beginning.

;)
m0ds

Scummbuddy

seems like a good game.  I'll buy it when I get some extra cash to do so.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Czar

So, can you tell uzs teh secret now? :)
How many did you sell? har har, i bet your floating in moneey!!
btw would you care for a review on a croatian gaming e-zine, pretty well respected and all?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Barcik

Or in other words, 'give me a free copy'!
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Czar

DAMN you got me!!!
;)
Anyway, for real, i think that could sell some more copies, cuz i know  that 70% of croatian gamers read that zine, and no, i dont own the place ( altho i could fake i have a magazine... hmmmm) ;)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Matt Brown

I would want to read a penny-arcade review of this game. that would be funny
word up

Goldmund

Thanks to people who liked my narration.
It was a lot of fun recording it, although my throat felt sore at times ;)

Some had different opinions:
QuoteYeah, the voice acting is REALLY EXCELLENT...NOT!

I'd say it rivals Drascula for poor voice acting, especially the narrator.
Does that guy even speak English or did someone transliterate the lines into
some weird eastern european language?
Heh!
I guess the english philology teachers at my Uni should read it and reconsider (although I never had good grades in "Oral Skills" class) ;)

Ionias

No, I'm not floating in money. :P

Quotebtw would you care for a review on a croatian gaming e-zine, pretty well respected and all?

Thanks for the offer, but I've already almost given away more free copies than I've sold. :)

Goldmund: Your voice as narrator was great. Perfect for the mood I was going for. Sorry about that voice, lets hope I don't get up the energy for a sequel eh? :)

remixor

I can't believe the guy from JA+ compared the graphics to Maniac friggin Mansion.  Has that guy actually PLAYED MM?

At least the other reviews seem to be pretty spot on.  I certainly know my 14.95 was well-spent.  Good job (again) Ionias.

Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Ionias

Hey guys it's been a great run. However due to tax reasons SOCKO! Entertainment will be closing its doors at the end of the 2003 year. I've lowered the price of the game to $9.99 and you still get the free shipping. However, after the 2003  year is up I will no longer be accepting orders and The Adventures of Fatman will be announced as abandonware. I have no plans to host the game or support its move into abandonware.

Thanks again everyone who helped etc ... and don't think this is the last time you'll see me because the heart of a true adventure gamer beats within me.

So as CJ would say ... cheers.

remixor

I'm sorry to hear that, Ionas, but I wish you best of luck with your games and other future endeavors :)
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Dave Gilbert

Tax reasons?   ???

I'm curious.  Please explain.

Vel

Does this mean that it will become almost freeware?

SSH

No, it means that he will wait until everyone in the whole world has downloaded a copy, then sue everyone and become the richest man in the whole world....

Czar

Yeah, I too am sorry to hear that your attempt of breaking through from a amateur community to a commercial one didn't fully work, so I think you should have the Breaking-througher Pioneer award.
And yes I really mean that, and so do others i think.
But as you said:
Quotethis is the last time you'll see me because the heart of a true adventure gamer beats within me.
:)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk