Adjust walking animation delay for Y only

Started by AndreasBlack, Thu 19/05/2022 14:48:35

Previous topic - Next topic

AndreasBlack

Is it possible? I feel like the character slides on the Y value versus the X he walks more normally. Hard to explain without seeing it, i suppose.
Since i've adjusted the Movementspeed X and Y it would ofc make sense. Y movement is slower then X, etc.

Khris

If you're using regular pathfinding, there's no way to do this I can see.
The Movement speed settings (and whether to use different values for x and y) depend on the sprites; once the character stops sliding/moonwalking, you then adjust the animation delay to a suitable value.

If there's something wrong with the y animation that cannot be fixed by adjusting the MovementSpeedY value, you need to fix the sprites themselves. To increase the speed, you can remove one or two from the view for instance.

AndreasBlack

You've got me thinking. I think i came up with a solution. I set the delay for the frames inside of the view editor instead!

Thanks! Your idea sparkled a potential solution (i believe in theory at least, it could work). (nod)

Khris

Oh, that's a great idea. And it seems to actually work; I'd never have guessed that walking also makes use of the frame delay.

Amir

I had exactly this problem a week ago. Changing the speed of the frames made it worse for me. What helped in the end is this wonderful function Character.SetWalkSpeed(int x_speed, int y_speed)
Truly, truly, I say to you, blessed are those who play adventure games, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

AndreasBlack

Quote from: Amir on Tue 24/05/2022 08:20:45
I had exactly this problem a week ago. Changing the speed of the frames made it worse for me. What helped in the end is this wonderful function Character.SetWalkSpeed(int x_speed, int y_speed)

I use that too! It's great. It helps a lot, yes. Because it looks a bit weird if he always runs up and down, when he looks more like he's walkingn normal to the sides! So i have a slower Y value going up and down obviously. But to me he floated so adding the frame delay made it better, i think. But art is subjective, like they say. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk