Skillshare Recommendations?

Started by Babar, Fri 20/05/2022 12:19:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Babar

So through some randomness of internetting, I got some free skillshare, but aside from it constantly being mentioned in ads, I don't really know much about it.
As anyone used it, and do you have any recommendations about courses I should check out? I ask here especially since AGS would represent a nice confluence of creative interests that we all share, so you may even all know something very specific to adventure games!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

cat

I have no idea what this is about. Could you elaborate?

Babar

Haha! And here I thought no one had escaped the ubiquity of Skillshare ads.
Skillshare is a learning platform- they have tutorials on a bunch of topics, but their database is quite large. I recently won a free subscription to Skillshare.

Aside from engine specific tutorials and art tutorials (which I haven't been able to gauge the quality of), all I could find were a bunch of dry and unactionable game design tutorials, including one on puzzle design (but puzzle-game type of puzzles, not adventure game puzzles), so I was asking for some recommendations of courses, especially stuff that would be related to developing adventure games.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Danvzare

Quote from: Babar on Mon 23/05/2022 09:18:17
I was asking for some recommendations of courses, especially stuff that would be related to developing adventure games.
I doubt you're going to find anything on there about developing adventure games specifically. It's way too niche of a subject area.
But you could probably find things that could indirectly help you in developing adventure games. For example, I remember finding this Youtube video that introduced you to the basics of music theory, that was really useful, and it was also meant to serve as the creator's advertisement to a collection of videos you could pay to get access to. It wasn't SkillShare, but it was functionally the same site.
So what I'm trying to say is that you could probably find something useful about making music or writing stories. I have no specific recommendations though, because I've never used the site.

If you really want to find something related to adventure games specifically, I'm afraid the best you can probably do are articles that people have written down. Whether in blogs or even in peer-reviewed articles.
Surprisingly if you look up adventure games on Google Scholar, you'll find quite the plethora of articles. But of course, those don't tell you how to better make adventure games, but rather what makes them appealing or unappealing (which you can then use to influence your design decisions). Although I'm pretty sure after twenty years, you already know how to make a decent adventure game.
If you ever do decide to go that route, I'd highly recommend anything written by Clara Fernandez-Vara, because she truly gets the genre in my opinion. The dissertation she wrote for her PHD is well worth a read. It's basically an entire book describing adventure games and why some people find them enjoyable.  (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk