MAGS June "Flight" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/06/2022 01:41:49

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS June?

The Death of Oceanspirit Dennis by Ponch
1 (10%)
Flash McCoy by ddavey1983
9 (90%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Tue 19/07/2022 02:57:09

Stupot

Theme: Flight
Set by: ddavey1983

Here are the entries. Vote using the poll above:

The Death of Oceanspirit Dennis
by Ponch
Flash McCoy
by ddavey1983

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it Superman?

Or indeed a spacecraft, a balloon, a drone, an angel, a bee, a witch, a bat, a kite, a helicopter?

Any link to flight is the theme for this month's MAGS.

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Slasher

If I can muster the energy I'm in...

A few ideas buzzing in my head....

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 03/06/2022 07:27:21
If I can muster the energy I'm in...

A few ideas buzzing in my head....

OH! HELLO old friend! Me and Stu were just talking about you yesterday. Glad to see you are still walking the earth. I hope to compete against you in this round.

Ponch

Very tentatively planning a small MAGS game this month. We'll see what happens.

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 03/06/2022 08:58:31

OH! HELLO old friend! Me and Stu were just talking about you yesterday. Glad to see you are still walking the earth. I hope to compete against you in this round.
Nice to hear from you to, Mandle.... I'm ok up to a point....usual age stuff ;)

I will probably do something quite simple just to get me back into the flow...

Meanwhile, take it easy and good luck my friend...

Mandle

Cheers, Slasher... Feeling my age too. Oh well.

ZapZap

Is it ok if I recycle a barely started game I tried to make for another MAGS? (I think the theme was "Sky"?)
There were angels and planes involved...
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Ponch

The month is half gone and my game is more than half done. This is the closest I've come to a finished MAGS game in quite some time!  :=

ddavey1983

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have an entry ready. It probably won't be as long as I intended but it'll be something.

And this one's not like the last two...

Stupot

How are we getting on, folks?

Ponch

Working on the closing cut scene this week.
Very small, simple game. I didn't have a ton of free time this month, but at least I'm going to finish this one.  :smiley:

Mandle

Quote from: Ponch on Thu 23/06/2022 00:42:43
Working on the closing cut scene this week.
Very small, simple game. I didn't have a ton of free time this month, but at least I'm going to finish this one.  :smiley:

I'm so looking forward to playing one of your games again!

ddavey1983

On course to finish in time...I think!

heltenjon

Looking forward to what you guys have up your sleeves! I've been busy with work and some betatesting this month, so I'm ready for some MAGS goodness coming our way soon.

Ponch

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 23/06/2022 11:56:10
I'm so looking forward to playing one of your games again!
Wait no longer! The future is now!  :=

THE LEGEND HAS RETURNED!

THE DEATH OF OCEANSPIRIT DENNIS
An OceanSpirit Dennis Game For MAGS

Almost in time to celebrate the 12th anniversary of the creation of Oceanspirit Dennis,* I am proud to present my incredibly crappy platform game based on Geof's old platform code from way, way back in the day.

Dennis has met his end and it's up to you to help him escape Heaven so he can get back to being a ninja-detective-pirate.

Features many if not all of the following things:
Shocking collision detection!
Shameless copyright infringement!
Embarrassing ancient code!
Nonexistent playtesting!
Lackluster effort overall!

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD!!
(Right Click and "Save As" if needed)

Thanks for playing!

heltenjon

Always nice to read your Readme files, Ponch.  :-D

Ponch

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 24/06/2022 17:59:08
Have you played the game? As much work went into the text file as the game.  :=

heltenjon

Quote from: Ponch on Sat 25/06/2022 02:25:41
Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 24/06/2022 17:59:08
Have you played the game? As much work went into the text file as the game.  :=

Yes, and currently I hate you.  ;) This game really reaffirm my love for point and click adventure games and slow, complicated puzzle solving.

Currently at
Spoiler
Level 2 - Country Roads. Have managed to determine that the low road is the wrong one and the high road is bloody difficult.
[close]

ddavey1983

Flash McCoy
A traditional point-and-click adventure game

Flash McCoy, World War 1 flying ace once soared above the battlefields of France, downing multiple enemies before breakfast.
Now, down on his luck, he delivers the mail in the middle of nowhere and all he downs before breakfast are double whiskies.
However, Flash's quiet existence is about to be turned upside down when a routine delivery turns out to be anything but.

Made by GOC Games for MAGS June 2022.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2620-flash-mccoy/
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=60075.0

heltenjon

Hehe...I can't help but notice that I wrote (about Ponch's game)
Quote from: heltenjon on Sat 25/06/2022 13:06:09
This game really reaffirm my love for point and click adventure games and slow, complicated puzzle solving.
and  then this turn of phrase:
Quote from: ddavey1983 on Sun 26/06/2022 21:27:02
Flash McCoy
A traditional point-and-click adventure game
:-D

But Ponch, colour me confused. I retried your game today and got an ending. But I played level 2 with another tune and extra moving parts and everything. I thought I got there by going far enough to the right, but missing the final platform, but now I just don't know. If there's a secret level, I may have found it by mashing the keyboard.  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk