Confused About Webport (html5)

Started by PEONPORE, Fri 03/06/2022 21:57:37

Previous topic - Next topic

PEONPORE

How would I go about exporting my game to html5 so it can be playable on browser? I'm just unsure how to work it, as I did look it up and found the link to this https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=59164.0 ? But I can't really wrap my head around it.. Its simple yet I'm also like, lost some how. I would just put the ags file into the launcher it links, and thats it? How would i download it to post to other sites? I've been told that 3.5.1 I'd need an ags file but in 3.6 I wouldn't? I'm just struggling to understand. I am a beginner at this, so please forgive me. I just could not find any help/explanation on the beginners forum.

eri0o

General Settings-> Compiler -> Platforms -> âœ"Web

Press f7

Regards the other information I don't understand why you are asking about AGS versions, can you elaborate what are trying to achieve?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 03/06/2022 22:15:27
Regards the other information I don't understand why you are asking about AGS versions, can you elaborate what are trying to achieve?

He means, take a game file from 3.5.1 and run it with 3.6.0 web port. We talked on Discord some time ago.

Quote from: NEONVORE on Fri 03/06/2022 21:57:37
I've been told that 3.5.1 I'd need an ags file but in 3.6 I wouldn't

No, you need it anyway, but in 3.6 you can build the game for the web automatically, while if your game is made in 3.5.1 you'll have to combine files by hand. Actually, since you are beginner with AGS, I won't recommend that. What you may do instead is make a copy of your 3.5.1 game folder, and open it in 3.6.0. Then build for web there.

I think you need to first of all clarify which version of AGS you are making your game in.

Khris

To me it sounds like you're also asking how to put it online? Because that launcher link is just to test your own game, it's not meant to be used to publish a game.

Publishing a web game requires web hosting, i.e. rented online hard drive space. One of the most well-known hosting companies is GoDaddy. The cheapest plans are a few bucks per month, but since it's all static files, you can also put it on github pages.
Once you have hosting you use an (S)FTP client to upload the files from the Compiled/Web folder to your web host. You can then visit the domain you picked when getting the hosting to play the game. To post to other sites, simply post the link to your domain.

eri0o

I think they are asking about how to publish a web game to newgrounds, but I have only pushed to itch io and gamejolt, where you just zip the files and upload. I do not know how it works on newgrounds.

Edit: Newgrounds website really doesn't help, the only information is on guidelines on content, but there's nothing on a how to use the website itself...

Edit2: found this and this which kinda suggests it's the same procedure, just zip the output files in Compiled/Web/ dir and upload on Newgrounds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk