Games based on devs' real life experience (real countries, true stories etc).

Started by Pogwizd, Mon 06/06/2022 21:32:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Pogwizd

Hi all,

I am planning to take a closer look at games that were made predominantly in order to share devs' life experience. I am not taking necessarily heavy stuff (but this is very much welcome, too), but in general about games, where the aim was to show a specific corner of the world at a specific point in time.

The best example of I have in mind is La maleta by potajito (or, you know, Absurdistan).

I tried to find something by the title in the database, but I wasn't very successful. If you know a game like that, could you share it with me, please? I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

heltenjon

I think Superego fits the bill.
And UVC's Survival Guide.
And Scales Training Game, of course.
Fixumdude's 3D Printing adventure is a slice of life, too.

There are some games on the site that deals with depression or similar emotional experiences. And while I don't know whether that means that the author has suffered from depression, or that they know someone who does, it's clearly an expression of wanting there to be games out there about such subjects. Some of them play through symbols or allegories, some use unreliable narrators, and some tries to show how it feels. I'm sure I can dig up some of those titles, too, if that's what you're after. Like Mind Rape: Duress. But I get the gist that you are thinking more in the lines of history/geography?

Pogwizd

Thanks for your suggestions heltenjon, I will check them out when I can.

Yes, I've been mainly interested in games that aim at showing a specific region or a country.

PS.
I've been meaning to play Mind Rape: Duress, too, but the description has actually scared me away. I will give it a go at some point, though.

AndreasBlack

Well, i'm glad to report that my game in the future will be heavily real life based, which makes me laugh so hard when i think about it.
I don't want to spoil anything but a Pizzamaker having some weird preferences.
Or a guy falling down to his most certain death. I must say even tho i have lived a sorta safe lifestyle on my own, people around me have been not as lucky. :-D 8-0

Don't worry it will be all fun and jokes, but it wasn't when i was in it, that's for sure.

heltenjon

You may want to check out MAGS June 2019 about Little Known Traditions to get a local setting. Also Lorenzo's magnificent Elia, Ilaria and the kids having a good time at the sea (or at least they try) uses a local Italian holiday for a setting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk