MAGS June "Flight" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/06/2022 01:41:49

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS June?

The Death of Oceanspirit Dennis by Ponch
1 (10%)
Flash McCoy by ddavey1983
9 (90%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Tue 19/07/2022 02:57:09

Ponch

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 26/06/2022 22:41:23
But Ponch, colour me confused. I retried your game today and got an ending. But I played level 2 with another tune and extra moving parts and everything. I thought I got there by going far enough to the right, but missing the final platform, but now I just don't know. If there's a secret level, I may have found it by mashing the keyboard.  ???
Sorry, but there's no secret level. The vinyl record is just there to allow you to change the music to Sensei XL's second favorite song. The long platform ride back to the start of the level is just to waste the player's time add valuable play experience to the, um, game loop... or something.  :P

Playing Flash McCoy now.  ;-D

heltenjon

Quote from: Ponch on Mon 27/06/2022 03:21:35
Sorry, but there's no secret level. The vinyl record is just there to allow you to change the music to Sensei XL's second favorite song. The long platform ride back to the start of the level is just to waste the player's time add valuable play experience to the, um, game loop... or something.  :P
I don't know of any vinyl record...so that must mean that I've hit this while falling to my...um...still-death some time? Works for me. I was sure there were more platforms, as well, but I must remember it wrong.

Shadow1000

I am having trouble downloading THE DEATH OF OCEANSPIRIT DENNIS. When I click the download link, I see a tab open in my browser and then it just shuts down. I suppose it could be my anti-virus but I don't see any warnings. Is there an alternative link or does anyone have any advice?

Ponch

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 27/06/2022 15:32:14
I am having trouble downloading THE DEATH OF OCEANSPIRIT DENNIS. When I click the download link, I see a tab open in my browser and then it just shuts down. I suppose it could be my anti-virus but I don't see any warnings. Is there an alternative link or does anyone have any advice?
Really? Weird. I just tested it on my Win 11 laptop and my tablet and it worked. I'm not sure what's causing the problem. It's a direct link to my server. Maybe try "right click and save as"?

Shadow1000

Quote from: Ponch on Mon 27/06/2022 15:40:20
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 27/06/2022 15:32:14
Really? Weird. I just tested it on my Win 11 laptop and my tablet and it worked. I'm not sure what's causing the problem. It's a direct link to my server. Maybe try "right click and save as"?

Ha! That actually worked. Chrome tried to block it but there was an option to keep the download so I have the game in my hands now. I hope to play it sometime tonight. Thank you!

Ponch

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 27/06/2022 16:09:56
Ha! That actually worked. Chrome tried to block it but there was an option to keep the download so I have the game in my hands now. I hope to play it sometime tonight. Thank you!
I should have thought of that when I made the post for the game. I've fixed it now. That's what I get for being a grumpy old man. I know intellectually that Chrome is how most people see the web these days, but I'm still puttering around the Information Superhighway (in the slow lane, with my blinker on) using a fork of Firefox. I suppose I need to get with the times... but I'm probably going to eat some oatmeal and take a nap.  :=

Stupot

Thanks for the entries folks. Voting will open soon, so start playing the games now!

Stupot

The voting is now open.

Here are the entries. Vote using the poll above:

The Death of Oceanspirit Dennis
by Ponch
Flash McCoy
by ddavey1983

Happy voting, everyone.

Why not consider making a game for MAGS July.
The topic is "Masquerade

heltenjon

My thoughts this month:

The Death of Oceanspirit Dennis by Ponch:
Spoiler
I have played some of these games, so I get some, but not all of the humour from the intro and ending. But as I understand it, there is little use in trying to find a coherent story - the joke is rather that it should turn outrageously at every chance. And so it does here, as well. The game proper is a platform game which I found bloody hard and frustrating, tumbling to my death at most opportunities. I accidentally triggered a music change and was sure I was at level 2 for some reason.  :-D Anyway, the game works and speaks to the stubborn side of me, who says "just one more go". At the same time, feelgood it is not. It was a sigh of relief when I finally beat it. But I'm hardly a pro platform game player. I also let my kids play the jumping part, and they had fun with it. I'm also now singing the Geronimo song at all times.  8-0
[close]

Flash McCoy by ddavey1983:
Spoiler
Good-looking and atmospheric, reminding me of old film serials that I've never seen, only heard of. It's a solid point and click with variety in the puzzles and a clear sense of purpose. I knew what I had to do at all times. Easy to moderate difficulty level, but fun while it lasted.
[close]

Who to vote for?
Spoiler
You could argue that I got several hours of entertainment from the OCD game, but as it is with platformers, most of the time I knew what to do, but simply didn't manage to execute it. Flash McCoy was a shorter experience, but as a adventure game fan at heart, I did enjoy it more, so it got my vote.
[close]

Shadow1000

My feedback:

Spoiler
Great adaptation of the theme. Good story-segment and appropriate-length for the contest. One of the challenges of creating an entry under time constraints is how to create something complete enough to be playable while providing enough fun for the player to have a good experience. This game really meets all the criteria. Just to round out my comments: lots of puzzles, but on the easier side; impressive graphics and animation.
[close]

Spoiler
I kinda got what was going on in the opening but got lost in the dialogue that seemed to really drag on so I ended up skipping it. I was able to jump from the first smiley-face-in-the air to the second and then to a third one. After about 5 minutes I asked myself if I was enjoying watching the character fall just to do it again and again. I answered myself "no" so I stopped playing
[close]

My vote:
Spoiler
Flash McCoy. The only thing that could be improved would be to tweak up the puzzle difficulty a notch but otherwise, very well done!
[close]

Ponch

glurex

My thoughts and feedback:

Spoiler
Since it's the first episode of OD that I have played, maybe 'The death of...' it's not the best way to start the saga. The intro was funny though and I liked the animations and music. Sadly I'm very bad at jump/plataform games, and I wasn't able to finish it. Sorry Ponch!  :X
[close]

Spoiler
Nice classical graphic adventure. I like the retro graphics style, the animations, the atmosphere... and the puzzles were right. The only weird thing is that I can't find the way to save the game (and there's an option to load) but this being a short game wasn't really a big problem. Enjoyable!
[close]

My vote is for:

Spoiler
Flash McCoy. Mainly because I like adventure-ish games and the game is well made! The ending makes me want to play the sequel.
[close]

ddavey1983

Thank you for all the feeback and for taking the time to play the game. I do really enjoy reading everyone's comments. Especially when they're positive!

I think pressing S brings up the save game dialogue. I wrote it in the readme but forgot to put it in the game itself! I usually have a little info button on the main menu that explains the key commands but apparently not this time!

Ponch

Congrats, ddavey1983. Your game was much better than mine. A well-deserved win.  :cool:

Stupot

Congratulations to ddavey for Flash McCoy. Well done on such an emphatic win. You may start thinking about a theme for August.

Comooserations, Ponch.

Thanks to everyone who voted.

ddavey1983

Thank you to everyone who voted, I'm really pleased!

Thanks for that as well Ponch, that's very kind. I loved your game too, even if I was rubbish at it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk