7 (14%)
4 (8%)
14 (28%)
3 (6%)
1 (2%)
5 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Frodo

I voted for 5.1.  But it's hard to choose between 5.1 and 3.5.

tampie85

I had a bit of a play with the logos on the site, so see what matches best. I feel the blue currently used by all colours is not the best choice, so please ignore that (I know it's a detail that easily can be adjusted).

This is 2.5. I tried that one because that font awesome cup is used throughout the website (e.g. in the awards) and I thought it would be a nice consistency.
Light theme: https://new-site.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/?logo=25
Dark theme: https://new-site.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/?logo=25heme=dark

This is 3.5. I like the quirky cups and the highlight of the letters AGS, but I feel it doesn't suit the new design unfortunately:
Light theme: https://new-site.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/?logo=35
Dark theme: https://new-site.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/?logo=35heme=dark

I'll try to add the most popular logos in a bit so you've got a complete picture.

AGA

I've changed the poll to max three votes per user, and edited cat's post to also include links to the each of the logos in the context of the new site's light and dark themes.

cat

My issue with the  font awesome cup is that it is an existing design. I think a logo should be uniqe to what it represents. Rather use the logo cup for the rest of the page.

AGA

Quote from: cat on Sat 02/07/2022 15:10:55
My issue with the  font awesome cup is that it is an existing design. I think a logo should be uniqe to what it represents. Rather use the logo cup for the rest of the page.

Ideally we'd then have an SVG version of whichever cup ends up in the logo, so we could then use this throughout the site.

eri0o

The current logo on the site theoretically should not be used from the text of Microsoft font license. Font Awesome symbols also have specific licensing that make it hard to use it in a logo last time I checked.

tampie85

I'd love to use whatever cup ends up in the logo throughout the site. The only reason I use the font awesome one is because I don't have anything better.

cat

I voted for 2.2, 3.4 and 4.1 because I think those logos work best in light AND dark mode.

Looking at the logos now, having 2.4 in the outline colours of 2.2 would also have been nice.

No matter which logo gets most votes in the end, we should definitely optimise it regarding stroke width, colour, spacing and so on for light and dark mode.

zabnat

While these look good here in the forum, I don't think they work on white and dark background of the new site layout. I feel they should be blue without outline. I think it looks better that way.

Like this:

cat

I will wait a few more days and then take the top 3 logos and work on them so they fit light/dark/blue backgrounds. Then we can do a run-off poll.

cat

*bump*

I see a trend but a few more votes wouldn't hurt.

Ponch

Voted, but it was hard to choose. Lots of good options.

fernewelten

Hm. At first, I could only see AGS coding as being fuelled by coffee. But on second thought, AGS is an originally British endeavour, so a tea cup would be just my cup of tea (provided it is filled with English breakfast tea and a bit of milk).

cat

So, we have a clear favourite with 14 votes:

4.3 (light themedark theme)

and 4 runner ups with 10 votes each:

1.1 (light themedark theme)

2.2 (light themedark theme)

2.4 (light themedark theme)

3.5 (light themedark theme)

I think all of them would need a bit of fine tuning - while they look good on blue background, they don't manage to look good on blue, light and dark. This can probably be achieved by changing the outline thickness, but I would like to avoid doing that for all 5 versions.

Shall we just go on with 4.3? Shall we do another voting?

tampie85

I'm happy to go with 4.3?

Do you think it's worth to make an SVG of the cup to replace the font awesome one? I'm not very familiar with svg. Do you need the colors that are used or can it be done with styling? If I remember correctly there's currently 3 different colours for the cups.

cat

4.3 is fine for me as well. If we go this way, I would like to spend a bit of time refining the logo. The blue I used is the one that can be found on the new website test pages in light and dark mode (just an info, the drop-down menu in the upper right corner in dark mode has the wrong colours. I think there should be the same colours as the centre "create/play/join")

Once the logo is settled, I can try to extract the cup as a logo for bullet points or as bookmark icon. I can provide this in several colours, but I think it is also possible to style it with css (having different svgs if preferable, though).

tampie85

Of course, let me know if I can do anything to help you with the logo.

Sorry, could you clarify what's the wrong colours? Do you mean the font colour of the menu should be the same as the header colour (lighter blue) and not like the subheader colour (the darker one) which I currently have? Or do I misunderstand?

What's the font you use for the header? I can see whether I can use it in other places, e.g. for the h1 without it looking odd?

Monsieur OUXX

I don't understand how to vote.

Unrelated : I regret that the theme is progressively moving away from the powerful blue of the old blue cup (electric blue, royal blue) and is now mostly de-saturated, grayish blue. Even the cup. That old royal blue was giving a strong visual identity to AGS.

By the way, I see in the new forums that the top banner/logo is of that grayish blue, but buttons are orange, and become royal blue when hovered; While that is all very tasteful, I will take this opportunity to share a core principle of UI: The action buttons must be of your "brand" color (i.e. royal blue); then you can choose another fitting color when hovered (e.g. orange) -- in other words : flip the theme. Every other semi-important element must be in a "trimmed down" version of your brand color -- which means that no banner should be royal blue (as seen on the Play page); that's where the less powerful grayish blue should be used.

cat

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 02/08/2022 11:22:04
I don't understand how to vote.
I closed the poll. It has been open for a whole month now.

@tampie85: I will continue about the colors of the page in the AGS Website Redesign thread and keep this about the logo only.

Monsieur OUXX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk