What was the first adventure game you finished entirely on your own?

Started by milkanannan, Thu 23/06/2022 08:03:33

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Without hints or any other support. Mine was Quest for Glory II, but I must have been playing it on and off for over a year before I finally made my way through it. At the end of the game, there's sort of an assembly where all of the characters you interacted with along the way speak about how you impacted them (there were multiple ways to win and tons of side quests, so this crowd changed depending on how your progressed). Felt pretty awesome to finish it!

How about you? What game did you first complete start to finish?

newwaveburritos

Hilariously, it was the same game for me.  I don't know if it counts though because I had a friend playing it at the same time and if either of us got stuck we would help the other out.  For this reason it holds a special place in my heart.

milkanannan

Quote from: newwaveburritos on Fri 24/06/2022 04:00:21
Hilariously, it was the same game for me.  I don't know if it counts though because I had a friend playing it at the same time and if either of us got stuck we would help the other out.  For this reason it holds a special place in my heart.

Wow really? That's amazing. Yeah, that was such a great entry through which to discover adventure games. The developers (Lori and Corey: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Coles) really went all out with the story development. I must have played through that game at least ten times, finding all sorts of different paths along the way. Like, all that stuff with the tree woman, the caged desert beast, the warrior guild, Aziza (and the magic test she sets up on that infinite bridge), the whirling dervish, ... (so many others I'm missing), plus not to mention that every problem could be solved three different ways depending on what kind of player you were. Then the whole game picks up and moves to Shapeir! My little mind was so blown. (laugh)

eri0o

The Dig. As a kid, my dad's initial approach to learn English was giving me (and my sister) an English to English dictionary, and an English to Portuguese dictionary, and that's it. So most RPG games I played took a lot of time, and also I did not quite clicked how adventure games worked when young. Once I replayed The Dig, still as a kid, but understanding the language better I could proceed. The second ending a friend told me how to get, which I think was resurrecting Maggie against her will. I never managed to beat any Sierra adventure game as a kid, but I had fun collecting death animations.

Funnily though the first game I beat entirely on my own, wasn't an adventure or even in a language I could speak. It was Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball Bu - Soccer Hen, on the NES. In the end the girl coach kisses the entire soccer team, I remember because I beat it during a morning I work early than everyone, I was really young, and found the ending funny, I told my sister and my parents and they didn't believed me, and I could not beat the game again with them, and little after that my sister sold the NES - to buy new SNES cartridges. I think most games I played until the end right after were together with my sister and later with friends from school. Until this day I have never finished Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures, which was the only adventure game I remember playing on the SNES.

CaptainD

I really can't remember... I always used to play these games with my sister, then developers abandoned the Atari ST, so it was probably later on when I discovered games made with AGS. At a guess the first one I completed was probably one of the Rob Blanc games, or possibly Pleurghburg: Dark Ages or Permanent Daylight. I'm assuming you mean completed without the help of any hints? (Probably the same answer anyway.)

heltenjon

My first adventure games were text adventures on Commodore 64 and Sharp MZ-721. My friends and I wrote our own multiple choice type games on the Sharp in Basic, so the first "adventure game" I completed was probably one of those. The adventure games of the C64 were a bit hard for a kid who was learning the language, and we cooperated and shared hints among us, and also were eager readers of hints in computer magazines. I guess the first one I completed alone (because it wasn't covered in the magazines) would have been something like Twin Kingdom Valley, Grave Robber or another one which I can't remember the name of. I also completed some Eureka games withour help, but that may have been later.

I had an Atari ST, but can't remember other point and click adventures for it than Manhunter: New York, which I didn't finish due to some action sequences. Right after purchasing my first PC, I completed Sierra's Conquests of Camelot without any help. I guess that must have been my first point and click I did from start to finish on my own.

Pax Animo

The secret of monkey island on the amiga 500, if I recall correctly it was 12 floppy disks, swaping disks when visiting the same areas over and over to solve puzzles was pain in the butt.
Misunderstood

Danvzare

I remember the first adventure game I ever finished on my own, because it was also the first game I ever finished on my own.
It was: Rugrats Adventure Game

Although to be fair, I only managed to finish it on my own, because I saw my dad play through it, and I remembered how to complete most of the puzzles.
My sister said it didn't count because of that.  >:(

Oh, and it's a pretty great game as well. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the show. It's quite difficult to get it to play on modern PCs though.

LimpingFish

I don't think I ever completed an adventure without hints back in the day. Adventure games back then kind of had a built-in requirement to use guide books or premium "Hint" telephone numbers (Sierra Online games especially).

I think, think, I may have completed the Playstation version of Broken Sword without any help, or maybe Broken Sword II. :-\
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Creamy

It must be Broken Sword I. Not really on my own since I was always playing video games with my brothers at this point.
We tried Prisoner of Ice about the same time but had to resort to a hintbook because of some unfair pixel hunt.

Before that, I had only played console games.

Stupot

I honestly can’t remember that kind of thing. I’m pretty sure I played Broken Sword 2 with no hint, but I’m not 100% sure of that.

Another early game I’m pretty sure I finished with no hints was The City of Lost Children (great game no one talks about). But that might just be that it was a relatively easier game.

Danvzare

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 28/06/2022 01:11:23
Another early game I’m pretty sure I finished with no hints was The City of Lost Children (great game no one talks about). But that might just be that it was a relatively easier game.
I've got that game!
I found the PS1 version in a pawn shop for dirt cheap a couple of years ago, and bought it on a whim.
I got stuck instantly.  :-D

It doesn't help that pressing the interact button will always yield a response, even when you're not next to something that's interactable. And the English voice acting was quite offputting as well, reminding me of the terrible voice acting from Cbeebies.  :-X
But the setting and aesthetics was awesome. :-D

Mouth for war

Simon the sorcerer 2 was the first game I beat without any help :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Mandle

Zork I and then II and III... but III took me about a year to get past one puzzle.

Galen

Quote from: Mouth for war on Tue 28/06/2022 21:24:18
Simon the sorcerer 2 was the first game I beat without any help :D

Surely no human mind could comprehend the logic behind the Hush Puppies puzzle though?

elentgirl

The fist game I completed on my own without outside help was Myst (I confess that I did ask my partner, who was a musician, for a little help with the musical notes puzzle)  Myst was also the game that got me into adventure games, which I now enjoy playing and making.

mkennedy

Probably either Zork 3 or King's Quest 2/3, It's been a long while so my memory is rather shady. For some games though I peeked at the data files using a hex-editor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk