Is this utter crap or cool? :D

Started by Mouth for war, Mon 27/06/2022 21:46:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Hey!

Ok so I tried to change my graphics to make it look more like a painting....but...does it suck or is it cool? I'm leaning towards sucking but I'm not sure. And even if it looks cool, could it become annoying? :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

cat

I don't like it, but this might be personal preference. Keep in mind that this will also make drawing proper walkbehinds and putting objects in the game a nightmare.

Mouth for war

I totally get you :-D walkbehinds are no problems though actually because i can apply this effect to single objects too but i'm not sure that I like this so i just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks 😁

Cassiebsg

Crap it's not, but I don't get sold on it either. Specially the character looks bad.

But I enjoy it as an experiment.  (nod)

I do however think it's better to assume that it's a 3D graphics game, and find your own style (whether it's hyper-realistic, stylised, or something else) than it is to pretend what it's not.

One of the problems with those kind of filters, is that painting it "alive", and no stroke is exactly main to the next.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

It's not to my preference, but it's not horrible. Personally I'd need to see it without this effect, to truly know though. It doesn't seem to have been applied very well on the character.

Just looking at it though, it kinda reminds me of Dink Smallwood, and I think that game looked fine as it was. So maybe this effect is a bad idea.

Mouth for war

Nah! I'll scratch that idea! Thanks for your opinions! Here's the normal version

Retro Wolf

I think if you're experimenting with these kind of effects they're best used as a screen shader in-engine rather than the original pngs. Don't know if your engine of choice can use shaders, I know you like Clickteam Fusion. Not an engine I'm familiar with.

cat

I like the normal version better, but the shadows look weird.

Mouth for war

Shadows comes from how the lights are set up in the 3d workspace so i don't think they're weird. Light is coming from the top. I'm guessing you want them to come from the left so they "follow" the objects?

Snarky

Having something lit exactly from above so that the shadows are completely vertical will usually look weird, even in real life:

I think in your screen it's also a problem that the shadows are perfectly crisp (as from a point light source), and that they're cast on the ground as if it were a completely flat surface (most noticeable on the grass, where the shadows "flatten" the texture).

Mouth for war

Yeah! I guess the ground could do with some bumps here and there as well. Gonna work on the lighting a bit more! :)

Matti

It would definitely look better if the shadows were a bit angled.

Also, the objects and building are quite dark while the grass is very bright. This contrast doesn't look good and is hard on the eye.

Mouth for war

The grass was actually bothering me a bit as well. Good points! :-)

Blondbraid

My two cents is that the version without painterly effects looks decent, but not very original, whereas the "painted" version looks like a cool art experiment,
though I think there's a bit much white grain over it, especially on the character sprite. Maybe some softer contrasts?

Xenonymous

Reminds me of an Ultima game.

I like the nice lil' perch log tho.
Your character could sit down and smoke a doobie there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk