Background Blitz: Shopping Malls! (Deadline August 23rd)

Started by newwaveburritos, Sun 24/07/2022 03:58:06

Previous topic - Next topic

newwaveburritos

Dude, let's just go to the mall.  That old liminal space.  The stuff that dreams are made of.  Are malls dead?  That's up to you to decide!  Food courts, shops, controlled environments.  There's a million things to do at the mall so show me what that is!

Your goal this month is to create a background suitable for an adventure game that fits with the theme of Shopping Mall. Use the pictures above for inspiration if you like, but also feel free to think outside of the box and go nuts!  Or bananas, if you prefer.

Voting will be based on the below (as usual):
Concept: What is the background about? What sort of mood does it spark? What is, as it were, the big idea?
Playability: What is its opportunity for gameplay like? Walkable areas, hot-spots, and so forth?
Artistic Execution: How well does the picture convey an atmosphere? How well is it executed?

The deadline for submissions is the 23rd of August. Look forward to seeing everyone’s entries and happy shopping!

Creamy

Here's my entry:

Hannah_Banana

Love your entry Creamy - great take on malls. So much detail too! Nice one

newwaveburritos

I decided to take a little break from my standard EGA palette madness and use the Gameboy palette and resolution which is really tough!

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/hwjkHCt.png[/imgzoom]

newwaveburritos

You've got until tomorrow so if you're working on something or got something bouncing around up there get it out and get it in!

newwaveburritos

Well, seeing as how I'm the only other entry I don't mind just awarding Creamy the prize since their entry is really good!!  Although we could be formal and vote I would definitely vote for Creamy.

Cassiebsg

I've been on the moon... cool topic, was just about to work on an entry when I noticed the deadline...  (roll)

I vote Creamy as well! :) Care to share the background story to that hole? I'm curious!  :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

heltenjon

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 25/08/2022 16:33:55
I vote Creamy as well! :) Care to share the background story to that hole? I'm curious!  :-D
Notice the phone cord going into the hole? I believe this is the work of...The Anticommunicator!

milkanannan

Really cool pic which takes on a new life the moment you notice the ‘recording’ indicator.  ;-D

Creamy

I vote for newwaveburritos.

Quote from: newwaveburritos on Thu 18/08/2022 17:35:12
I decided to take a little break from my standard EGA palette madness and use the Gameboy palette and resolution which is really tough!
The masochism of this man!  8-0

Quote from: heltenjon on Thu 25/08/2022 16:57:29
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 25/08/2022 16:33:55
Notice the phone cord going into the hole? I believe this is the work of...The Anticommunicator!
(laugh)
It took at least a conference call to make him this angry.

Quote from: milkanannan on Thu 25/08/2022 18:57:53
Really cool pic which takes on a new life the moment you notice the 'recording' indicator.  ;-D
Thanks milkanannan.

I was pleasantly surprised with Clip Studio Paint artistic filter which saved me the trouble of inking this picture - except for a few corrections.

newwaveburritos

Well, I guess we've got enough votes in to call it.  Congrats, Creamy!  I guess that means you're in charge of the new one so I look forward to seeing what you come up with.  I'll be in the mix for sure!

Creamy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk