MAGS July “Masquerade” (Result)

Started by Stupot, Sat 02/07/2022 00:10:48

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS July?

The Will
7 (87.5%)
AGS Werewolf
1 (12.5%)
Masquerade at the Con
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: Mon 22/08/2022 00:39:46

Stupot

Topic: Masquerade
Chosen by: glurex

The Will
by lapsking
AGS Werwolf
by Kastchey
Masqerade at the Con
by heltenjon

A masquerade could be both a behaviour that is intended to prevent the truth about something; or a party/dance where people wear masks or other disguises.

For example, but non-exclusive, your main character could "prevent the truth" about something not wanted from becoming known. Or your game could be settled in a misterious, or even joyful, ball in Venice carnival. Or both: the people at the party could be hiding something or pretending to be something they are not.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.[/size]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DBoyWheeler

Wouldn't it be funny if someone made a Majora's Mask reference?

Anyway, best of luck to the contestants here.

Stupot

Thanks DBoy. That would be a fun game.

Anyone taking up the challenge?

lapsking

I would love to participate in July MAGS, it's strange how my game fits in the Masquerade theme without knowing about it when I started or finished making this game. How can I participate in July MAGS? I post the link to my game's page here.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2623-the-will/

It took me 20 full days to make my first game and just released it yesterday. Would be grateful if you play and share your opinions.

Your wicked sister wants to claim all of the inheritance with a fake will. In this point and click adventure game you are going to search your dad's house to find his original will to get your share.

I was 7 years old when I played Maniac Mansion for the first time and I loved it so much that I wished one day I make my own adventure game. Now 30 years later and thanks to AGS I've done it.
keep it indie

glurex

Nice lapsking! I'll give your game a try these days.

Stupot

That’s great. Our first entry, albeit an accidental one  :cheesy:
It looks very interesting.

lapsking

Yay, I'm in. Thanks. I hope you'll enjoy it. :-D
keep it indie

adanior

Lapsking, I'll definitely try your game. It looks pretty neat. I know there's only a week left, but as a newbie (sort of...) with otherwise no clue what to make with this software, I've been working on an idea myself. Something maybe a little bit crazy but it fits the theme. I can't promise I'll be able to finish it but maybe I could at least post screenshots when I get to work after the initial brainstorming.

lapsking

Quote from: moraux on Sun 24/07/2022 09:37:46
Lapsking, I'll definitely try your game. It looks pretty neat. I know there's only a week left, but as a newbie (sort of...) with otherwise no clue what to make with this software, I've been working on an idea myself. Something maybe a little bit crazy but it fits the theme. I can't promise I'll be able to finish it but maybe I could at least post screenshots when I get to work after the initial brainstorming.
I would love to see more participants in this competition. I hope you can make it, even if just with screenshots.
keep it indie

tbook

Hi to all good people here :)

I am a beginner in AGS but I think I will try and make something for the jam, despite the limited time.

Good luck for everyone participating! :)

Stupot

Welcome to our new friends. It’s never to late to enter MAGS. Some decent games have been made with only a few days left. We’re usually willing to extend the deadline by a couple of days. If you need a couple of extra days, just say the word.

ddavey1983

I can't this month but I'll be back next month hopefully!

heltenjon

The timing is horrible, but I started making a small game yesterday. I have some family trips coming up, so I don't know if I will be able to finish. in time. Working title: Masquerade at the Con. The basic idea is that the player has to guess who some mystery people are, and then help the good guys and defeat the villains afterwards. Think The Masked Singer without the singing followed by some comic con live role playing.

I spent yesterday designing the puzzles, then grabbing the graphic assets I think I'll need, making a title screen and starting designing the game room. My plan is to get that up and running and code the last part with inventory puzzles first, then go back and do the dialogues needed for guessing identities properly. We'll see how that goes.  :-D

adanior

This is a tough one. I've had two ideas so far.

1. You play someone infiltrating a ball for clowns. The puzzles are all dialogue-driven. I'm not sure yet what the goal is.
2. Since someone mentioned Majora's Mask, I had the idea a sort of simulation game where you run a shop selling cursed masks to people.

The problem with both is that my art is a little rusty right now. I tend to rust up when I go at least a week without drawing. Otherwise I'd be working on those ideas immediately. I think the latter is probably my most fully-formed idea, but the former would stretch my drawing ability a bit further, and I could kind of use that right now.

heltenjon

Quote from: moraux on Mon 25/07/2022 20:13:06
This is a tough one. I've had two ideas so far.

1. You play someone infiltrating a ball for clowns. The puzzles are all dialogue-driven. I'm not sure yet what the goal is.
Perhaps finding or stopping Pennywise? Or the Joker?
Quote2. Since someone mentioned Majora's Mask, I had the idea a sort of simulation game where you run a shop selling cursed masks to people.
Sounds suitably devilish. :-D Perhaps the customers need specific curses, and you need to mix ingredients correctly in order to put on the correct hex?

Kastchey

This is a great theme and I'm trying to put something together. It's unlikely I will end up with anything remotely playable by the end of the week, but we'll see.

heltenjon

I'm going on holiday with my wife and kids tomorrow, which means no or very little alone time. I'm pretty sure that means I won't make the deadline, which is not surprising given that I started a few days ago. I've made more than half of the game, so I will finish it and release it eventually. I hope you other guys manage to put your games together!  (nod)

adanior

Regrettably, I have done basically nothing over the past week, and I won't be able to make the deadline. I was preoccupied with something else. My ideas weren't that developed anyway. I'm interested to see what the next MAGS is, though.

Kastchey

Mine won't be playable before the deadline either.

Made some really good progress, but not quite there yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk