MAGS July “Masquerade” (Result)

Started by Stupot, Sat 02/07/2022 00:10:48

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS July?

The Will
7 (87.5%)
AGS Werewolf
1 (12.5%)
Masquerade at the Con
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: Mon 22/08/2022 00:39:46

Stupot

Topic: Masquerade
Chosen by: glurex

The Will
by lapsking
AGS Werwolf
by Kastchey
Masqerade at the Con
by heltenjon

A masquerade could be both a behaviour that is intended to prevent the truth about something; or a party/dance where people wear masks or other disguises.

For example, but non-exclusive, your main character could "prevent the truth" about something not wanted from becoming known. Or your game could be settled in a misterious, or even joyful, ball in Venice carnival. Or both: the people at the party could be hiding something or pretending to be something they are not.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.[/size]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DBoyWheeler

Wouldn't it be funny if someone made a Majora's Mask reference?

Anyway, best of luck to the contestants here.

Stupot

Thanks DBoy. That would be a fun game.

Anyone taking up the challenge?

lapsking

I would love to participate in July MAGS, it's strange how my game fits in the Masquerade theme without knowing about it when I started or finished making this game. How can I participate in July MAGS? I post the link to my game's page here.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2623-the-will/

It took me 20 full days to make my first game and just released it yesterday. Would be grateful if you play and share your opinions.

Your wicked sister wants to claim all of the inheritance with a fake will. In this point and click adventure game you are going to search your dad's house to find his original will to get your share.

I was 7 years old when I played Maniac Mansion for the first time and I loved it so much that I wished one day I make my own adventure game. Now 30 years later and thanks to AGS I've done it.
keep it indie

glurex

Nice lapsking! I'll give your game a try these days.

Stupot

That’s great. Our first entry, albeit an accidental one  :cheesy:
It looks very interesting.

lapsking

Yay, I'm in. Thanks. I hope you'll enjoy it. :-D
keep it indie

adanior

Lapsking, I'll definitely try your game. It looks pretty neat. I know there's only a week left, but as a newbie (sort of...) with otherwise no clue what to make with this software, I've been working on an idea myself. Something maybe a little bit crazy but it fits the theme. I can't promise I'll be able to finish it but maybe I could at least post screenshots when I get to work after the initial brainstorming.

lapsking

Quote from: moraux on Sun 24/07/2022 09:37:46
Lapsking, I'll definitely try your game. It looks pretty neat. I know there's only a week left, but as a newbie (sort of...) with otherwise no clue what to make with this software, I've been working on an idea myself. Something maybe a little bit crazy but it fits the theme. I can't promise I'll be able to finish it but maybe I could at least post screenshots when I get to work after the initial brainstorming.
I would love to see more participants in this competition. I hope you can make it, even if just with screenshots.
keep it indie

tbook

Hi to all good people here :)

I am a beginner in AGS but I think I will try and make something for the jam, despite the limited time.

Good luck for everyone participating! :)

Stupot

Welcome to our new friends. It’s never to late to enter MAGS. Some decent games have been made with only a few days left. We’re usually willing to extend the deadline by a couple of days. If you need a couple of extra days, just say the word.

ddavey1983

I can't this month but I'll be back next month hopefully!

heltenjon

The timing is horrible, but I started making a small game yesterday. I have some family trips coming up, so I don't know if I will be able to finish. in time. Working title: Masquerade at the Con. The basic idea is that the player has to guess who some mystery people are, and then help the good guys and defeat the villains afterwards. Think The Masked Singer without the singing followed by some comic con live role playing.

I spent yesterday designing the puzzles, then grabbing the graphic assets I think I'll need, making a title screen and starting designing the game room. My plan is to get that up and running and code the last part with inventory puzzles first, then go back and do the dialogues needed for guessing identities properly. We'll see how that goes.  :-D

adanior

This is a tough one. I've had two ideas so far.

1. You play someone infiltrating a ball for clowns. The puzzles are all dialogue-driven. I'm not sure yet what the goal is.
2. Since someone mentioned Majora's Mask, I had the idea a sort of simulation game where you run a shop selling cursed masks to people.

The problem with both is that my art is a little rusty right now. I tend to rust up when I go at least a week without drawing. Otherwise I'd be working on those ideas immediately. I think the latter is probably my most fully-formed idea, but the former would stretch my drawing ability a bit further, and I could kind of use that right now.

heltenjon

Quote from: moraux on Mon 25/07/2022 20:13:06
This is a tough one. I've had two ideas so far.

1. You play someone infiltrating a ball for clowns. The puzzles are all dialogue-driven. I'm not sure yet what the goal is.
Perhaps finding or stopping Pennywise? Or the Joker?
Quote2. Since someone mentioned Majora's Mask, I had the idea a sort of simulation game where you run a shop selling cursed masks to people.
Sounds suitably devilish. :-D Perhaps the customers need specific curses, and you need to mix ingredients correctly in order to put on the correct hex?

Kastchey

This is a great theme and I'm trying to put something together. It's unlikely I will end up with anything remotely playable by the end of the week, but we'll see.

heltenjon

I'm going on holiday with my wife and kids tomorrow, which means no or very little alone time. I'm pretty sure that means I won't make the deadline, which is not surprising given that I started a few days ago. I've made more than half of the game, so I will finish it and release it eventually. I hope you other guys manage to put your games together!  (nod)

adanior

Regrettably, I have done basically nothing over the past week, and I won't be able to make the deadline. I was preoccupied with something else. My ideas weren't that developed anyway. I'm interested to see what the next MAGS is, though.

Kastchey

Mine won't be playable before the deadline either.

Made some really good progress, but not quite there yet.

Stupot

Quote from: Kitty Trouble, LLC on Tue 02/08/2022 01:14:04
Do we have a theme for August?
Not yet sorry. I’m still waiting, if I don’t get hear anything soon I’ll set one myself.

As for July, let’s keep it open for a few more days to let everyone finish.

New deadline August 5th

Kastchey

Oh. Nice! I might be able to get mine to a playable level. It will still most likely run on placeholder graphics but better this than no release.

glurex

Glad to see so much activity this last days! For a moment I was afraid I had submitted a weird theme. I have played the game of lapsking and hopefully now I'll waiting for the Kastchey one  :-D

Kastchey

Yep, doing what I can to finish! I've caught a nasty cold (not covid, luckily) which doesn't make things easier, but I'm still having a lot of fun writing this one.

Here's a teaser screenshot. All graphics except the 6 finished portraits are placeholders. I don't know if I will get enough time to replace them with real graphics since coding alone is taking a while, but we'll see.

heltenjon

I'm not sure I will make it even with the extended deadline. I've tried coding a bit in the hotel room after the others have gotten to sleep, so I've got the guesswork part of the game up and running (currently being tested by my kids), but there are still some things left in the second part. Of course, it looks absolutely amateurish compared to the other entries, so I doubt it has anything to say in the long run, but I'm having fun putting it together.  ;) Tomorrow I have a long drive across the country to get home, and I don't know if I'll get anything much done then.

Kastchey - looking good! I have no experience in the card game, but it looks like I'll get some soon.

Kastchey

Thanks, heltenjon! :) Fingers crossed for your entry, even if it's unlikely that you will finish.

On my part, the coding is almost done (1,300 lines and counting), hoping to finish that part tonight. If that happens, I may be able to add some real graphics instead of the placeholders tomorrow.

Kastchey

So I didn't manage to do nearly as much as I wanted, there were more bugs to kill than I had anticipated and the fever isn't helping. But it'd be a shame not to give lapsking any competition at all, so I will release a version before midnight UK time. Worst case, it will be early alpha quality ;=]

Kastchey

Here it is! Please treat as an early alpha. I didn't manage to add all the features that would allow to play the game properly. It is possible to finish the game, though only one of the two endings can currently be triggered and if the key NPC dies before it does, there will be a dead end. Sorry :< There should be no more dead ends or endless loops, preventing the game from being finished.

AGS WEREWOLF
(working title)

Download here

A game inspired by the memorable forum Werewolf sessions and some games based on a similar concept, like Among Us or Slaughter Horse.

Story:
You awaken from your slumber, as you always do when your arch-nemesis awakens. You have been chasing it for eons of the multiverse's history and defeated it countless times, only to find it regenerated and replanted within yet another living, mortal being. You do not know if there is an end to the chase, but you do know that when you awaken, you must act.
This time however, you feel powerless. How long did you hibernate this time? Has the sleep, or perhaps the countless battles started taking their toll on you? Has the Seed located your resting place for the first time and subdued you when you were asleep? You want to know, but you have no time for questions. Using what is left of your powers, you need to influence and inspire the residents of the nearby settlement and use them to eliminate the threat. You sense a group of particularly strong-willed individuals, maybe a dozen, who need but a gentle nudge to push them to action. You don't know their exact identities, but you hope to discover more in the process. With a heavy heart, you concentrate and establish a telepathic connection with the first one, knowing you cannot save them all but hoping to help spare at least a few.

How to play:
In a group of 20 NPC of unknown role and alignment, 12 are your allies, 6 will work against you and 2 will neither help nor harm you.

The gameplay is divided into 4 phases: Evening (when you assign the tasks to the roles of your choice), Night (when the outcome of the assigned tasks is calculated), Morning (when the results are revealed and reports of your allies, if any, are delivered to you to help you figure out who is who) and Day (when you get to execute an NPC of your choice).

When assigning the tasks, you assign them to roles, not specific NPC (since you do not know who is who). The results will usually give you a hint regarding the identity of the NPC involved in the events of a given night.

Your ultimate goal is to get the main antagonist, the Seed of Darkess, executed or killed. The Seed is somewhere among the 20 and it defends itself well, so getting it killed will not be easy. Use your team's powers wisely.

Role descriptions:
Friendly:
Lifesaver: led by immense worry about others, this role will go check on someone when they have a bad feeling about them. If their target is attacked the same night, they will use the opportunity to save them from death.
Watcher: under the circumstances, this role feels anxious and suspicious about others. It will take just a subtle push to send them spying on another council member. They will spend a sleepless night watching their target’s place and taking note of anyone entering or leaving.
Truthseeker: this role has been pushed to the limits of desperate courage. They will break into their target’s house searching for any kind of evidence that would incriminate or exculpate them.
Desperado: this role is constantly on edge, expecting assailants in every corner. When agitated, they won’t turn an eye - armed with their best weapon, they will attack anyone who attempts to enter. They will kill every single role who visits them that night, including friendly or neutral characters.
Psychic: their sixth sense stirred by the presence of the Seed and the Eliminator, they get a premonition when they are the target of a hostile role. If activated, they will avoid death. If not activated, they will die but report the identity of the assailant.
Inquisitor: confident and determined to help the cause, they will interrogate the role they find particularly suspicious, holding them back for the given night. The inquisitor will report their assessment of the target's affiliation (council/cult/neutrals).
Whistleblower: this role is a born leader and has high persuasion skills. They will rally the crowd against their target, getting them lynched in the process.
Impostor: bold and confident in their skill in deception, this role will infiltrate the cult hideout and observe their target all night, discovering their role in the process. They will also spot up to 2 other evil roles. If they survive the night, they will report the exact role of the target and the alignment of 0-2 other evil players. They have a chance of getting killed while spying.
Hedonist: this role deals with the trauma by seeking comfort in the company, or arms, of others. When trembling under the burden of each night’s grim discovery, they will seek out others in hope of forgetting everything, effectively blocking their target's role for the given night.
Hostile:
Eliminator: this role has been driven completely mad by the traumatic events of late… or have they? A victim or a psychopathic opportunist, they are on a crusade against everyone and everything. They will kill a random role each night, no matter their allegiance.
Seed of Darkness: this role is the incarnation of the arch-nemesis of the player character. They require the blood of at least half of the NPC to awaken. Before the awakening, they will keep a low profile to avoid detection. After that they will convert every role that targets them, including the Eliminator. No one can resist the influence of the Seed.
Tender: this role’s sole purpose is to guard the Seed until it awakens. When that happens, the Tender is usually consumed by the Seed. Tender will kill anyone who approaches the Seed in its dormant phase.
Fanatic: this role is tasked with ensuring that enough sacrifices will be done and the Seed awakens as quickly as possible. But even with the Seed awoken, the Fanatic feels it is their sacred duty to kill anyone who does not succumb, so they will continue until either they or their opponents are dead.
Converter: this persuasive, cunning individual is devoted to the cult as much as the others, but prefers persuasion over violence. Each night, they will head out to try and talk their target into joining the cult.
Neutral:
Bystander: this role doesn’t have any character traits that would push them to action during the night, they just want everything to be over. If an innocent Bystander is executed by the player, a council member may leave or commit suicide.
Gnostic: they know it all, but they won’t admit it in fear of getting harmed or killed in the process. If Gnostic is executed by the player, they will reveal the priority order of the roles to the cult before they die (making Fanatic’s attacks more precise and better targeted). If they are executed by the cult, they will reveal the identities of all major cultist roles still alive, except the Seed.

Currently implemented:
* Roles assignment
* Phases switching (fully manual for now)
* Targeting
* Task outcome
* One of tTwo endings
* A few sample death descriptions
* Execution GUI

Not implemented yet:
* Executions Now fixed!
* Daily reports
* Notes
* Event journal
* Proper intro
* Title screen

Download here

I will edit this post shortly to explain the rules, as I didn't manage to add any explanations in-game. Done

Edit: Mandle brought to my attention that I had posted the project file instead of the compiled game. While most of the people here would handle that no problem, I didn't exactly mean to open source the game ;)

Here's the updated version changelog (v1.21):
* Compiled version instead of open source,
* Fixed the execution GUI to prevent a dead end and enable the proper game ending,
* Fixed a bug where the ending would not trigger,
* Disabled debug messages during Eliminator's action result calculation,
* Placeholder portraits are still placeholders, but are now labeled with NPC's real names to allow the player to distinguish them,
* Fixed a bug that would cause an endless loop if the friendly characters were outnumbered.

lapsking

Congrats Kastchey. The story looks good, but alas too good. It's so similar to my late psychosis that I don't dare to play it now afraid of flashbacks. Will try it later when I feel safe.
keep it indie

Kastchey

Oh wow. Sorry to hear about this :( I hope your recovery is going well.

Definitely don't do anything that could cause an anxiety fit. The game is not very playable at this stage anyway, it's not worth it ;)

Mandle

Quote from: Kastchey on Sat 06/08/2022 10:33:35
The game is not very playable at this stage anyway, it's not worth it ;)

Please read my PM ASAP... cheers

heltenjon

I'm basically finished with my game...removing bugs at the moment. Will post it later today.

heltenjon

My game is at https://heltenjon.itch.io/masquerade-at-the-con

I'll edit this post with database entry and screenshots in a bit.  ;)

Edit:

Database entry: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2624-masquerade-at-the-con

The game is made by using free assets, including some inventory items from the AGS trove. Thanks, guys!  ;-D

In the first part, the screen is full of mystery people, and you can talk to them or examine them in order to guess who they are. After you reveal their identities, you need to help the good guys and defeat the baddies in traditional first person point and click style. Have fun!

Kastchey

Awesome! Congratulations :)

And I took the chance to fix the worst game-breaking issues to make the game somewhat playable. It's fully winnable now. There's no actual game over implemented, but you will know when it happens - simply put, everyone will be dead.

If anyone has a version earlier than 1.2 1.21 downloaded, please re-download.

Edit: Another gamebreaking bug found and eliminated. Hopefully the last major one.

heltenjon

I played AGS Werewolf just now and lost. I need to read up more on the roles. I also realized it's probably a good move to take notes - I didn't always remember who I was investigating and couldn't take advantage of the knowledge (not) gained by having my investigator attacked.
I like the concept a lot and will have some more goes. Being a board game enthusiast definitely helps.  ;-D

Kastchey

Haha thanks, glad you like it even though it's barely even finished :D

Yes, it definitely helps to take notes. My aim was to create two kinds of in-game notes, one in the form of an auto-created journal that would record the morning messages so you can go back to them at any time, and the other as a freeform text field next to every NPC, so you can take notes of your own conclusions and assumptions. But of course, because of the time constraints I had to scale down to the bare essentials.

I do plan to slowly continue working on this after MAGS though, so any thoughts and suggestions are highly appreciated!

heltenjon

I'm wondering how some of the roles work.

Is activating the Desperado and the Psychic a one-time move? Do they stay activated afterwards?

Does an attack/spying/persuasion attempt always succeed (if not countered)?

What is the priority of the roles? Will the Desperado kill the Hedonist or be blocked by it? And if blocked, will that mean someone else may kill the Desperado?

Does the Watcher only work when assigned to watch a council member?

Does the Whistleblower count as an attack? Meaning, will the Tender kill the Whistleblower if the Seed is targeted, and will the Seed or the Desperado kill the Whistleblower if attacked?

EDIT:

Also, are the Observer and the Investigator doubles of other roles, like the Watcher and the Inquisitor?

lapsking

I played your game heltonjon. It's fun but I only could guess few of them since lots of those characters are not known on the other side of planet though I'm sure there are people even on this side who can do better than me.
keep it indie

heltenjon

Quote from: lapsking on Sun 07/08/2022 13:32:34
I played your game heltonjon. It's fun but I only could guess few of them since lots of those characters are not known on the other side of planet though I'm sure there are people even on this side who can do better than me.

Thanks for playing.  :) You can of course solve it by simply trying all the options, or ask for help in the hints section (or PM me). I was curious about whether the guesswork would be easy or hard. My daughter/playtester guessed them all, but she knows me very well and of course has the same cultural background.

heltenjon

It took me quite a few goes to win the AGS Werewolf game, and I think I will keep playing it for some time. The replay value is high. In addition to my role questions above, I was also a bit baffled when the Eliminator turned out to be independent in one of the games. How does that work? Can someone be turned away from the Cult? Does that NPC still eliminate?  ???

Anyway, I'm having a ball with this.  :-D

Kastchey

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 07/08/2022 12:51:00
Is activating the Desperado and the Psychic a one-time move? Do they stay activated afterwards?
Each requires a separate activation every round you want to use them.
Does an attack/spying/persuasion attempt always succeed (if not countered)?
No, it usually depends on the target's role. I don't have a concise and game-ready set of rules written yet, but I have collected my code comments (I had to describe everything else I'd lose my way in the forest of nested ifs), which may help a bit (see the spoiler tags below) :)
What is the priority of the roles? Will the Desperado kill the Hedonist or be blocked by it? And if blocked, will that mean someone else may kill the Desperado?
There is a specific order of actions. Desperado, if activated, will always kill anyone who approaches making them unblockable and unkillable, but at the same time they can obliterate half of your team unless you know who the Desperado is and avoid targeting them.
(I should probably limit Desperado activations somehow, maybe once every other round, since this role may be a little too powerful)
Does the Watcher only work when assigned to watch a council member?
The Watcher is meant to report on anyone they are assigned to. So if they are assigned to watch the Eliminator and if the Eliminator goes out to hunt, they should report them leaving their place the given night. BUT, it's entirely possible that this function is still not working properly so you might want to treat the watcher/observer as cannon fodder in the MAGS version ;)
Does the Whistleblower count as an attack? Meaning, will the Tender kill the Whistleblower if the Seed is targeted, and will the Seed or the Desperado kill the Whistleblower if attacked?
No. The only role that can counter the Whistleblower is the Seed itself - when targeted, it will sense the gathering rally and confuse the Whistleblower to protect itself. However, the Whistleblower is almost last in the action order (rallying people takes a while, after all), so if they are targeted by a blocking or a killing role, the rally will fail.

QuoteAlso, are the Observer and the Investigator doubles of other roles, like the Watcher and the Inquisitor?
Sorry I missed the edit the first time round. Yes, they are doubles. Observer & Watcher are the same thing, Truthseeker & Investigator are the same, Hedonist & Partygoer are the same.
The only reason why I renamed them is that the module I'm using seems unable to digest if the buttons have the identical text label, so it wouldn't show double two Watcher buttons. And Watcher 1 / Watcher 2 looked a bit awkward. I could spell one with a trailing space I guess, but it could make things confusing to the player if they assign both Watchers to a target any given round. Something to be resolved post-MAGS :)

QuoteIn addition to my role questions above, I was also a bit baffled when the Eliminator turned out to be independent in one of the games. How does that work? Can someone be turned away from the Cult? Does that NPC still eliminate?
:)
The Eliminator is their own person, they do not work for the cult. They have their own reason to join the carnage. They can sometimes be converted in which case they stop being independent and start avoiding cultists, but by default they will target anyone and may very well end up helping you sometimes, albeit accidentally, by killing one of your enemies.

Anyway, I'm really happy that you're having a blast! I was half expecting the alpha quality to deter any interest in the game, glad that's not the case =]

Spoiler

Code: ags
//Inquisitor
vs Desperado: if Desperado is alive and on alert, they will kill anyone who approaches. if not, they will die.
vs Eliminator or Fanatic: the Inquisitor has a 20% chance to survive the encounter with a murderer.
			  if they do not survive, they will stall the murderer.
			  if they do survive, the murderer will brush past them but the Inquisitor will get an impression of their character (alignment reveal).
vs Seed: Approaching the Seed will trigger Tenders to attack, if they are alive.
		if the Tenders are dead, the Seed will confuse the Inquisitor. Confusion will cause the next round action to fail.
vs Awoken Seed: The Awoken Seed will convert anyone.
vs anyone else: Inquisitor will block ANY other role and reveal their alignment.

///Eliminator
vs Fanatic: It's an even battle. Each has a 50% chance of getting out of this encounter alive. It is possible for both to die.
vs Desperado: if activated, Desperado has a 100% chance to kill any intruder, friend or foe.
vs Psychic: Psychic has a 70% chance to sense the incoming danger and flee before they're assaulted.
		But if killed, they reveal the identity of their killer.
vs. Seed: If any of the Tenders is alive and the Seed is dormant, they will protect it with their life. Both the Tender and the Eliminator will die.
vs Awoken Seed: it will convert the Eliminator. No one is immune to the corruption of the Seed!
vs anyone else: the target dies.

//the Seed (dormant)
vs Eliminator: //When the Seed attempts to confuse the Eliminator, they have a 50% chance of converting them. Only the mature Seed will get a target assigned.
vs anyone else: The Seed will mess with its target's head, blocking their action.

//the Seed (awoken)
anyone: 100% chance to convert them to serve. if the target had any prior action executed, the action results will still calculate.

//Fanatic
vs Eliminator: It's an even battle. Each has a 50% chance of getting out of this encounter alive. It is possible for both to die.
vs Desperado: if Desperado is alive and on alert, they will kill anyone who approaches. if not, they will die.
vs Psychic: Psychic has a 70% chance to sense the incoming danger and flee before they're assaulted.
		But if killed, they reveal the identity of their killer.
vs any other neutral or council ally: they die.

//Converter
vs Eliminator: Eliminator will ignore the Converter's puny attempts to recruit them. at the end, they will kill the Converter.
vs any other neutral or council ally: Converter has a 100% chance to change their target's affiliation, as long as they are convertable (non-convertable roles: Desperado, Psychic, Whistleblower, Gnostic)

//Watchers (Watcher & Observer)
vs Desperado: if Desperado is alive and on alert, they will kill anyone who approaches.
vs dormant Seed: The Seed will know that someone is out there, so they will send a Tender to eliminate the potential threat, if any is alive (100% chance to kill the Watcher). if there are no Tenders alive, the Seed will confuse the Watcher (stalled for the next round)
vs awoken Seed: The Awoken Seed will convert anyone.
vs anyone else who has a target assigned: If the Watcher's target has a target, they will see them leaving their place.
vs anyone else who is targeted by someone: If the Watcher's target is targeted by someone, they will see them enter their target's place.

//Truthseekers (Truthseeker & Investigator)
vs Desperado: if Desperado is alive and on alert, they will kill anyone who approaches.
vs Eliminator or Fanatic: Truthseeker has a 75% chance to sneak into their target's place, rummage through their belongings and leave unharmed (Truthseeker survives and reports the affiliation of the target - council/cult/neutral), and 25% chance of getting caught red handed (Truthseeker dies).
vs dormant Seed: Approaching the Seed will trigger Tenders to attack, if they are alive. If both are dead, the Seed will confuse the Truthseeker.
vs awoken Seed: the Seed will convert anyone.
vs anyone else: The Truthseeker will rummage through other roles' things without interruption and report their affiliation.

//Hedonists (Hedonist & Partygoer)
vs Desperado: 100% chance to die if Desperado is activated
vs Fanatic or Eliminator: 100% chance to die
vs Seed: 100% chance to die if Tender(s) alive, if not 100% chance for confusion
vs awoken Seed: 100% chance to become converted
vs anyone else: 100% chance to block the target's action next round.

//Impostor
vs unconverted Eliminator: Impostor will die.
vs dormant Seed: Approaching the Seed will trigger Tenders to attack, if they are alive. If they are dead, the Seed will confuse the Impostor.
vs any other cultist: 70% chance to reveal the affiliation of the target, 15% chance to reveal the role, 15% chance to get spotted and killed.

//Whistleblower
vs Seed: The Seed can feel the Whistleblower's intentions and will prevent them from acting. The Seed needs to act quickly and has no time to mess with the Whistleblower's mind, so it will only stall them for the given round.
vs anyone else: The Whistleblower will get any other character killed.

//Lifesaver
vs any dead target: Lifesaver will save a mortally wounded target from death regardless their affiliation or role. Yes, they can save the dying Eliminator or Fanatic!
vs Eliminator or Fanatic: Eliminator or Fanatic, if unharmed, will kill anyone who approaches.
vs dormant Seed: Approaching the Seed will trigger Tenders to attack, if they are alive. if not, the Seed will confuse the Lifesaver.
[close]

Stupot

Thanks for the entries guys. Let's get the voting show on the road.

I count 3 entries.

The Will
by lapsking
AGS Werwolf
by Kastchey
Masqerade at the Con
by heltenjon

Kastchey

I have played both entries, below are my thoughts:

The Will
by lapsking
Spoiler
I really enjoyed playing through this one, it had a 100% classic adventure game feel. There was a little bit of a pixel hunt here or there and a couple puzzles that seemed illogical (my favorite: why do I need to do all water collecting effort if I have what looks like a fountain in the courtyard?), but overall the difficultly balance felt just right. And it's always nice to play a game with actual push/pull puzzles!
The title change in the end made me giggle :D
Overall, a really impressive piece of work, especially if it was your first game and done in just 20 days.
[close]
Masqerade at the Con
by heltenjon
Spoiler

First of all, big congrats on releasing an entry. It took you what, 2 days to put this together? 3 days? Really, really impressive even if the game is relatively simple.
As for the gameplay, I had fun playing this one! There might have been one or two puzzles I had trouble with because I wasn't familiar with the lore, but since there was no penalty for blind shots, it wasn't hard to progress despite that.

(PS. I thought someone said last time there would be no more Batman games  :-D)
[close]

lapsking

Oh no, how could I miss the fountain. ??? I'm going to empty it in next version, thanks Katschey. If you found any other silly things please pm me. :)
keep it indie

heltenjon

Quote from: Kastchey on Mon 08/08/2022 03:46:43
First of all, big congrats on releasing an entry. It took you what, 2 days to put this together? 3 days? Really, really impressive even if the game is relatively simple.
I think it's 13 days from start to finish, so it's not all that impressive. I won't give a false impression that I'm a fast or good coder by any means.  (laugh) Even though I couldn't find time to work on it much while on vacation with my family. You'd also be a tad less impressed if you had witnessed me spending an hour wondering why my descriptions didn't show, until I realized they were in the same colour as the background... (roll)

heltenjon

Here are my thoughts:

The Will by Lapsking:
Spoiler
What a great debut game! I admit to spending a fair amount of time stuck outside until I found a fairly hidden item. Once inside the house, the game opened up - it was much larger than I first thought. I enjoyed the puzzles and the story and didn't even think about the fountain outside.  (laugh) I realize this is a homage to Maniac Mansion style games with the nine verbs, but this is really hard to implement. While the player need to use the verbs in this game, they aren't in frequent use, so maybe a smaller verb selection would work as well?
[close]

AGS Werewolf by Kastchey:
Spoiler
Unifinished and somewhat unpolished, but I thoroughly enjoyed what was there. The game will likely appeal a lot to board game fans (like myself), while those who don't like to read rules may be deterred. The mechanics remind me of board games like Citadels, which is praise, coming from me.
[close]

Masquerade at the Con by myself: Oh, so that's how you break the object limit for a room.  ;)

I voted for
Spoiler
The Will. While both games were great fun, The Will is the most complete of them, and of course, it's an adventure game.
[close]

lapsking

"Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria. Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread."

To be honest I didn't create The Will fuelled only by coffee, I used other substances too. Is it cheating? (laugh)

I didn't vote cause I haven't played Kastchey's AGS Werewolf yet. Maybe if I could over come my fear and play that too then I can vote.
keep it indie

Ponch

Just downloaded these. Playing today and tomorrow. Voting soon...  :cheesy:

Shadow1000

My thoughts:

The Will
Spoiler
I enjoyed the entire experience. Background graphics are good, characters are a bit on the simple side, sounds effects are perfect. What really makes this game shine is the story and puzzles. The difficulty of the puzzles is exactly where I would want them: I did not breeze along but progress felt rewarding because of the effort that solving the puzzles entails.

Good story that's appropriate for the length of the game and some of the puzzles are quite creative in the sense that I don't think I've seen the thinking that was required to solve them in other games.
[close]

Masquerade at the Con
Spoiler
I completed the game. As someone pointed out, you can basically guess your way through. I never felt like I was part of the game; it was more like clicking squares and making dialogue choices. Short enough to remain entertaining.
[close]

AGS Werewolf
Spoiler
I found the posted rules complex and hard to follow. I tried playing but had no idea what was going on and gave up in a few minutes
[close]

My vote
Spoiler
The Will. Amazing result for a game created in such a short period of time!
[close]

Kitty Trouble

The Will (Gameplay spoilers)

Spoiler
This was a polished game for a MAGS entry. The puzzles for me were a hit and a miss. Examples: I thought that maybe this game wasn't finished when I couldn't get inside the first doors, but looking at the gameplay screenhots told me otherwise. So after scouring all over the screen, I finally found the solution. The bottom drawer puzzle seemed really out there because I wasn't paying attention to sounds and needed a hint on it. Perhaps a text dialogue saying like "creeeak' or "clunk" or whatever the sound is would draw attention to it more and for those who have their sounds turned down. Was also frustrating that I couldn't just use the broom to get the sponges :P But most of the other puzzles were good, and the graphics were good. I enjoyed the ending.
[close]

AGS Werwolf

Spoiler
I was confused by the rules of this. I know of the Werewolf game from Raging Loop but this was all a bit much. There also were no in-game instructions, so I couldn't give this a proper chance.
[close]

Masqerade at the Con

Spoiler
Cool idea. I didn't know, or know much about some of the characters, which isn't a huge issue since you can just guess. I would recommend that the game be a higher resolution though, not sure if the images are being stretched but if so cropping them to the correct aspect ratio rather than stretching would make them look better. I enjoyed the dialogue for the most part.
[close]

Winner:
Spoiler
The Will.
[close]

lapsking

Thank you Kastchey, Shadow1000, heltenjon and Kitty Trouble for sharing your thoughts about "The Will". I try to consider them in next game. Well, that's the best thing about MAGS.
keep it indie

heltenjon

Quote from: Kitty Trouble on Mon 15/08/2022 00:14:08
Masquerade at the Con
I didn't know, or know much about some of the characters, which isn't a huge issue since you can just guess.
I worried that the guessing part would be too easy, as my 12-year old playtester breezed through it, but it turns out it's hard enough given that not all of the characters are well known in other countries.
QuoteI would recommend that the game be a higher resolution though, not sure if the images are being stretched but if so cropping them to the correct aspect ratio rather than stretching would make them look better.
Yeah, agreed. I thought about changing the resolution a bit into the coding, but ended up not doing it to avoid repeating the work and then having to scale up the inventory GUI. It's supposed to scale up automatically when you change resolution, but at least in BASS, it doesn't. Basically, it shows that I have little to no talent with regards to graphics, even when using stills.

lapsking

Okay, my thoughts:

AGS Werewolf:
Spoiler
This game has a great concept but too unexplained rules and gameplay. I don't know what exactly is going on. I read Kastchey's explanations and I really loved the characters, ideas and story but they haven't developed into a smooth game. I think the idea and story has lots of potential to be worked on after MAGS competition with more time and a better gameplay.
[close]

Masqerade at the Con
Spoiler
Well first time I quited the game after few tries since I'm not good at guessing movie characters and I didn't know there is a little adventure game in second part. But on second try I guessed as much as I could and guessed the rest with unlimited tries. I loved the adventure part the most and puzzles made sense. Only one thing I can suggest, maybe characters could be chosen from more universal characters and a bit more serious like Columbus, Shakespear, Edison, Jesus, Hitler etc so it would have a wider spectrum than just western movies. But that might be my taste. It was overall entertaining and fun.
[close]

My vote:
Spoiler
I always hated it when presidential candidates voted in same election they were participating. So no vote.
[close]
keep it indie

Ponch

Stupot

The voting is over and the winner by a long stretch is The Will by Lapsking.

Well done, Lapsking. You’ll be contacted soon about choosing a theme for September.

Thanks to everyone who entered and to those who played the games and voted.

Don’t forget to rate and comment on the games’ respective AGS pages, where possible.

heltenjon

Congratulations, Lapsking! Well deserved! (nod)

Kastchey

lapsking

keep it indie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk