The challenge of the tentacle

Started by Wiggy, Tue 05/07/2022 15:54:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiggy

I've been waiting for someone else to admit they are stumped by some of these puzzles, which are very good indeed. I can't for the life of me work out boxes 2, 6, and 10. I can see what is required, I can see the nature of the puzzles, but understanding the clues is another thing. Box 2 - what the hell am I looking at? A brown rectangle coloured off-white inside. Box 6, obviously the card suits modify the value but I can rule out multiplication or addition. Box 10 is an apple product which I have never, and will never, use because I hate apple almost as much as I hate Disney Inc. Can someone give me a hint please?

Thanks in advance - good game btw.

heltenjon

Quote from: Wiggy on Tue 05/07/2022 15:54:32
I've been waiting for someone else to admit they are stumped by some of these puzzles, which are very good indeed. I can't for the life of me work out boxes 2, 6, and 10. I can see what is required, I can see the nature of the puzzles, but understanding the clues is another thing. Box 2 - what the hell am I looking at? A brown rectangle coloured off-white inside. Box 6, obviously the card suits modify the value but I can rule out multiplication or addition. Box 10 is an apple product which I have never, and will never, use because I hate apple almost as much as I hate Disney Inc. Can someone give me a hint please?

Thanks in advance - good game btw.
As a betatester, I also had some problems with these boxes. I assume you have found the hints on the PC? If not, try that first.

Box 2:
Spoiler
This puzzle is not self-contained. Look around.
[close]

Box 6:
Spoiler
You're looking at a sort of cipher substitution puzzle, and you need to figure out the keys.
[close]

Box 10:
Spoiler
How about them apples?
[close]

I know, the hints are purposefully vague, but hopefully they may point you in the right direction.

(Amir, if you want to field this yourself, let me know, and I'll delete this.)

Shadow1000

I am absolutely loving this game. It is not easy by any means but I've actually gotten a good number of keys without hints.

I have 2 questions about puzzles that I THINK I have the solution but still can't crack:

Spoiler
The apple puzzle. I weighed the apples on the scale; that's not the solution. I divided by 2/3 because there are 3 apples in inventory but 2 on the iphone screen. That's not the solution either. Am I working missing something...?
[close]

Spoiler
The colour puzzle. I ASSUME that the colours need to be arranged left to right as per the books on the shelf. However, I really can't tell what the colours of the books are or what colours the bars on the screen are. Am I guessing wrong or is there another way to solve this without being able to tell the colours visually?
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 06/07/2022 20:46:23
I am absolutely loving this game. It is not easy by any means but I've actually gotten a good number of keys without hints.

I have 2 questions about puzzles that I THINK I have the solution but still can't crack:

1. The apple puzzle.
Spoiler
I weighed the apples on the scale; that's not the solution. I divided by 2/3 because there are 3 apples in inventory but 2 on the iphone screen. That's not the solution either. Am I working missing something...?
[close]
You did exactly what I did.  :-D There is another way. You may not want to look at the following hint until trying more stuff on your own. Vague:
Spoiler
You need to do someting in the room before solving the puzzle.
[close]
More direct:
Spoiler
Can you bring the number of apples to the correct amount in any way?
[close]
Quote2. The colour puzzle.
Spoiler
I ASSUME that the colours need to be arranged left to right as per the books on the shelf. However, I really can't tell what the colours of the books are or what colours the bars on the screen are. Am I guessing wrong or is there another way to solve this without being able to tell the colours visually?
[close]
Spoiler
Yes and no. You need to know what colours the bars are in order to sort them in the right order. I'll check it and edit in the information in this post.
[close]
Edit: Here's the colour info for the colour blind:
Spoiler
The bars, from top to bottom: blue, yellow, red, purple, green. The books, left to right: purple, red, green, yellow, blue.
[close]

Wiggy

Thanks Heltonjohn for the vague hints - I got a little further, box 6 still eludes me. Back to the crossword dictionary to find 5 letter antonyms!

Shadow1000

Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 06/07/2022 22:53:38
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 06/07/2022 20:46:23

1. The apple puzzle.
Spoiler
I weighed the apples on the scale; that's not the solution. I divided by 2/3 because there are 3 apples in inventory but 2 on the iphone screen. That's not the solution either. Am I working missing something...?
[close]
You did exactly what I did.  :-D There is another way. You may not want to look at the following hint until trying more stuff on your own. Vague:
Spoiler
You need to do someting in the room before solving the puzzle.
[close]
More direct:
Spoiler
Can you bring the number of apples to the correct amount in any way?
[close]
Quote2. The colour puzzle.
Spoiler
I ASSUME that the colours need to be arranged left to right as per the books on the shelf. However, I really can't tell what the colours of the books are or what colours the bars on the screen are. Am I guessing wrong or is there another way to solve this without being able to tell the colours visually?
[close]
Spoiler
Yes and no. You need to know what colours the bars are in order to sort them in the right order. I'll check it and edit in the information in this post.
[close]
Edit: Here's the colour info for the colour blind:
Spoiler
The bars, from top to bottom: blue, yellow, red, purple, green. The books, left to right: purple, red, green, yellow, blue.
[close]

Unfortunately that didn't help :(

Spoiler

1. I took care of one of the apples and weighed the other two, but that's not the answer.

2. I arranged the bars as per your colour description on the books but it's a no go.

And one more: Box 11

No matter how or if you use BEDMAS, 9 X 6 / 2 -  7 = 20. But that's not the solution. What am I missing?
[close]

I don't think I have even a guess for the boxes wiggy was asking about, even with the computer's hints and the ones you provided. I hope the game gets easier soon!

Thank you

Wiggy

Hiya Shadow 1000,

You are so close, you are on the right track - I hope this helps:

Spoiler
Don't use the decimal point in the weight

The books have stripes on them - 1 to 5 stripes

Your maths is correct, but there are 2 numbers in every display i.e. 99 etc.
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 07/07/2022 05:32:48
I don't think I have even a guess for the boxes wiggy was asking about, even with the computer's hints and the ones you provided. I hope the game gets easier soon!
Does that mean you need hints for box 2 and 6?

Box 2:
Spoiler
Nothing in the room is without purpose.
[close]

Box 6:
Spoiler
If you start the game in German, you may notice that this puzzle changes. There is a reason for that.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Wiggy on Thu 07/07/2022 09:35:33
Hiya Shadow 1000,

You are so close, you are on the right track - I hope this helps:

Spoiler
Don't use the decimal point in the weight

The books have stripes on them - 1 to 5 stripes

Your maths is correct, but there are 2 numbers in every display i.e. 99 etc.
[close]

Hi Wiggy

Thanks, your hints helped!!
Spoiler
the solution with the stripes makes sense. I was on the right track but missed that detail. As far as leaving out the decimal....well, I'm not sure how anyone would guess that other than a lot of trial and error. I guess if it had a number pad without decimal points or only allowed the correct number of digits I would have gotten it.
[close]

Anyway, I solved all 3 with your help and I just finished the matching puzzle with just the hint from my computer

I find that I'm using my phone's camera a lot for reference for this game.

Thanks again!

Shadow1000

Quote from: heltenjon on Thu 07/07/2022 14:01:35
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 07/07/2022 05:32:48
Does that mean you need hints for box 2 and 6?

Box 2:
Spoiler
Nothing in the room is without purpose.
[close]

Box 6:
Spoiler
If you start the game in German, you may notice that this puzzle changes. There is a reason for that.
[close]

Yes, I am stuck on those. I'm going to try to continue the game later tonight. I only have 5 more boxes. I think I'll try to put together the hints here and on the computer and see if I can make any progress.

One question:
Spoiler
do you need to be able to tell colours for the one where you put the suckers on? I already painting it but if colour is part of the solution then I have no chance at this one
[close]

Wiggy

The purple tentacle has green suction cups, while the green tentacle's are yellow and need to be painted green so you can use them.  The green hair dye was the middle one in the desk drawer, so if you picked them up sequentially it's the middle one in inventory. Use that one.  :-D

The actual puzzle requires no colour reference.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Wiggy on Thu 07/07/2022 17:29:22
The purple tentacle has green suction cups, while the green tentacle's are yellow and need to be painted green so you can use them.  The green hair dye was the middle one in the desk drawer, so if you picked them up sequentially it's the middle one in inventory. Use that one.  :-D

The actual puzzle requires no colour reference.

Ok I actually did paint them but didn't know if that's part of the solution. That's all I wanted to know, thanks!

Shadow1000

I only have 6 and 7 left.

Spoiler
So, what I know about 6, completely from hints:
- It's a cipher puzzle
- There's a correlation between number and suit
- German edition has 4 cards whereas English has 5

I really don't have anything to work with. I guess it's a 5 letter word. Is it something found in the room? I don't even know what to ask!

The wording in puzzle 7 is poor. It starts off saying that everyone kissed one another and the question is how many times did IT kiss? what is "it"? A specific tentacle? then it should be 7. If it's all collectively then it's 8 tentacles kissing 7 times so it's 56. Neither is right, nor guesses like 49 or 64. I think the wording is misleading. What am I looking for?

[close]

Wiggy

Yes it is poorly worded, The question is really "How many kisses in total were there?", given that each tentacle kissed all the others just once (no repeats).

I am still struggling with box 6, alas.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Wiggy on Fri 08/07/2022 05:34:12
Yes it is poorly worded, The question is really "How many kisses in total were there?", given that each tentacle kissed all the others just once (no repeats).

I am still struggling with box 6, alas.

Ok, solved! Only box 6 left :)

Thank you

Wiggy

Keep us informed on how you go with box 6, because I am clueless here, I agree with your assessment of the puzzle - but I have absolutely no friggin' idea of how to proceed, and I've tried most substitutions of the 5 cards presented, and looked at the German version but to no avail. I'd like to set Amir a maths puzzle where the answer is expressed in ASCII text hexes. Aww, he'd probably get it.  :-X

heltenjon

Another hint for box 6:
Spoiler
Solve each suit for itself.
[close]
After the cipher, there are two more steps. If you're really unlucky, you've solved the cipher without noticing.  8-0

Amir

8-0 8-0 8-0
I was checking the other thread every day. I totally forgot there is hints and tips. Without heltenjon's message I wouldn't have seen this at all. Thank you heltenjon. Of course I don't mind :)

Thank you guys for playing  :) And sorry for the torment  :-D But simple puzzles are boring I think  ;-D

Hmmmm box 6. as heltenjon said and..
Spoiler
"correlation between number and suit" you have to collect letters from the names of the suits of the cards. which letters? you have to count. But be careful, you won't get the right word right away.
[close]
Truly, truly, I say to you, blessed are those who play adventure games, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Amir on Fri 08/07/2022 15:16:11
8-0 8-0 8-0
I was checking the other thread every day. I totally forgot there is hints and tips. Without heltenjon's message I wouldn't have seen this at all. Thank you heltenjon. Of course I don't mind :)

Thank you guys for playing  :) And sorry for the torment  :-D But simple puzzles are boring I think  ;-D

Spoiler
"correlation between number and suit" you have to collect letters from the names of the suits of the cards. which letters? you have to count. But be careful, you won't get the right word right away.
[close]

Hi Amir

Thanks for stepping in here. Got it and completed the game!!!

Amir

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 08/07/2022 16:04:27
8-0 8-0 8-0

Spoiler
[close]

Hi Amir

"APPLAUSE"   (nod)
Truly, truly, I say to you, blessed are those who play adventure games, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Amir on Fri 08/07/2022 17:03:53
8-0 8-0 8-0

Spoiler
[close]

Hi Amir

"APPLAUSE"   (nod)

Thanks! :D I'll try to leave my full comments when I get a chance

Amir

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 08/07/2022 20:09:12
Quote from: Amir on Fri 08/07/2022 17:03:53
8-0 8-0 8-0

Spoiler
[close]

Hi Amir

"APPLAUSE"   (nod)

Thanks! :D I'll try to leave my full comments when I get a chance

Ok, and you can vote honestly if you like. What would be the best question for the kissing riddle? I can change it if it confuses some players.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Amir on Fri 08/07/2022 21:15:02
Ok, and you can vote honestly if you like. What would be the best question for the kissing riddle? I can change it if it confuses some players.

Sure, where do I vote? I hadn't realized it was a contest entry. The only contest I follow is the MAGS.

For the kissing question, it's important that the user understands that the question is how many kisses took place in total. If you read the wording, there is no antecedent for the pronoun "it". Do you see why that's confusing? I actually got it once I knew what was being asked.

Amir

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 08/07/2022 21:33:09
Quote from: Amir on Fri 08/07/2022 21:15:02

Sure, where do I vote? I hadn't realized it was a contest entry. The only contest I follow is the MAGS.

For the kissing question, it's important that the user understands that the question is how many kisses took place in total. If you read the wording, there is no antecedent for the pronoun "it". Do you see why that's confusing? I actually got it once I knew what was being asked.

I meant the voting here on the AGS site, here https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2621-challenge-of-the-tentacle/

Ok, please suggest some questions for this riddle. What would be the best question that everyone can understand?

Amir

"How many kisses in total were there?" as Wiggy said, or "how many times did the tentacle kiss each other?" or "how many kisses did the tentacles give"? or other suggestions?  :)

Wiggy

Re: the wording. Given that no tentacle kissed the same tentacle twice, how many kisses in total took place?

That's not the only confusing wording. I've been pulling my hair out over box 6 because the clue is "Enter the word OR, guess what, the opposite." The solution is ONLY the opposite, so the use of "or" is misleading. Otherwise a great game.

Amir

Quote from: Wiggy on Fri 08/07/2022 23:43:29
Re: the wording. Given that no tentacle kissed the same tentacle twice, how many kisses in total took place?

That's not the only confusing wording. I've been pulling my hair out over box 6 because the clue is "Enter the word OR, guess what, the opposite." The solution is ONLY the opposite, so the use of "or" is misleading. Otherwise a great game.

Thank you for that suggestion :) I will change it.

You misunderstand the question. there is no comma after or, guess what.. "Enter the correct word, or quess what, the opposite of it" he changed his mind. So far, no one has reported being confused by the question.

Guys, did this "or guess what" confuse anyone else?

Amir

Ok, I'll change it to "Enter the correct word, or you know what? the opposite of it!"

Shadow1000

Quote from: Wiggy on Fri 08/07/2022 23:43:29

If you're that specific about it, then the question already gives away the solution offered by the hint in the computer. I only took issue with that it starts with plural and then "it", which is singular

cat

I'm also stuck at #6. I'm playing in German.

Spoiler

When I pick the letter of the color I get
RUKZ or RFKZ (depending if I use Treff or Kreuz) but I wouldn't know what the opposite of this is.
[close]

I was able to solve #2 with the hints on the forum and
Spoiler
an anagram tool. I just hate to do anagrams. I didn't get that the frame referred to the diploma, I needed the forum hint for this.
[close]

For #10 I needed the hints here on the forum as well
Spoiler
I tried the weight/3*2, throwing it in the bin was a bit weird.
[close]

I generally found the hints on the in-game computer not very helpful, except for the one of #3.

The other puzzles were quite fun, my favourites probably being
Spoiler
connecting the stuff in the room, the tentacles with their planets in the grid and counting tentacle kisses
[close]

Amir

Quote from: cat on Tue 12/07/2022 22:07:56
I'm also stuck at #6. I'm playing in German.

Spoiler

When I pick the letter of the color I get
RUKZ or RFKZ (depending if I use Treff or Kreuz) but I wouldn't know what the opposite of this is.
[close]

I was able to solve #2 with the hints on the forum and
Spoiler
an anagram tool. I just hate to do anagrams. I didn't get that the frame referred to the diploma, I needed the forum hint for this.
[close]

For #10 I needed the hints here on the forum as well
Spoiler
I tried the weight/3*2, throwing it in the bin was a bit weird.
[close]

I generally found the hints on the in-game computer not very helpful, except for the one of #3.

The other puzzles were quite fun, my favourites probably being
Spoiler
connecting the stuff in the room, the tentacles with their planets in the grid and counting tentacle kisses
[close]

Hi, cat, thanks for playing and your opinion. I'm happy you have favorites  ;-D

Box 6
Spoiler
The letters "RUKZ" are correct. there is one more step ;) apart from "the opposite"
[close]

Amir

Regarding hints, like I said, it differs from player to player they help some players and not others, or some players understand them and others don't. They were the hardest to make in the game. I didn't want to do any hints at first, but I ended up doing some.

Did you get the step from box 6 or do you need another hint?

cat

Got it!

Spoiler
Was there a hint regarding order of the cards that I have missed?
[close]

Amir

Quote from: cat on Wed 13/07/2022 20:02:27
Got it!

Spoiler
Was there a hint regarding order of the cards that I have missed?
[close]

Yes, that was my hint for Shadow1000
Spoiler
[close]

cat

Spoiler
I meant an in-game hint somewhere in the room about in which order the cards have to be used. I understood that you have to get the letter from the suit name and the count on the card. But the cards were not in order. How did I figure out the order? Or was this just another anagram solving?
[close]

Amir

Quote from: cat on Wed 13/07/2022 20:52:50
Spoiler
I meant an in-game hint somewhere in the room about in which order the cards have to be used. I understood that you have to get the letter from the suit name and the count on the card. But the cards were not in order. How did I figure out the order? Or was this just another anagram solving?
[close]

QuoteOr was this just another anagram solving?

Spoiler
yes you have to find out for yourself when you see that the letters don't make sense. It's not a game with hard puzzles for nothing. Only 4 letters, I made it easy for you  :P
[close]

sthomannch

This was a nice game, challenging riddles!
Most of them made sense, but box 11 was not too obvious. The hints were easy to overlook.

Spoiler

But what about the underwear?

And even though I could leave the room, the sky turned purple. Am I missing something?
[close]

Amir

Quote from: sthomannch on Sun 17/07/2022 16:05:00
This was a nice game, challenging riddles!
Most of them made sense, but box 11 was not too obvious. The hints were easy to overlook.

But what about the underwear?

And even though I could leave the room, the sky turned purple. Am I missing something?

I'm glad you liked it  :) Thank you for playing and your comment.

underwear
Spoiler
Underwear has 2 functions. 1- It shows that Bernard is a pervert  :-D 2- you wipe with it the dirt off the door. that's all  :)
[close]

Are you missing something?
Spoiler
you spoiled the end of the game, you're supposed to put that in a spoiler ;-D that's the purple sky with the stars of the Purple Tentacle like on the cover. That is, he conquered the world, Bernard could not make it. Did you forget what's in the letter? When the sky turns purple, you have gotten the purple shit end of the stick and if the sky has not trund purple yet you still have a chance.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Amir on Sun 17/07/2022 16:55:52

Spoiler
you spoiled the end of the game, you're supposed to put that in a spoiler ;-D that's the purple sky with the stars of the Purple Tentacle like on the cover. That is, he conquered the world, Bernard could not make it. Did you forget what's in the letter? When the sky turns purple, you have gotten the purple shit end of the stick and if the sky has not trund purple yet you still have a chance.
[close]

Spoiler
I didn't realize there were multiple endings. I solved all the puzzles; does the ending depend on the number of points or something else? I had no idea whether the sky turned purple because I can't identify colours.
[close]

sthomannch

Terribly sorry about the spoiler, modified it and I hope not too many have read it

Amir

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 17/07/2022 18:31:54
Quote from: Amir on Sun 17/07/2022 16:55:52

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I didn't realize there were multiple endings. I solved all the puzzles; does the ending depend on the number of points or something else? I had no idea whether the sky turned purple because I can't identify colours.
[close]

Spoiler
ah right, sorry, I should have explained it to you. There is only one ending:

Spoiler
He opens the door, walks faster, falls down the stairs and "dies or goes to the hospital" you hear the song "conquer the earth" The sky turns purple. As I wrote above. so, Purple Tentacle has taken over the world.
[close]

[close]

Amir

Quote from: sthomannch on Sun 17/07/2022 19:13:52
Terribly sorry about the spoiler, modified it and I hope not too many have read it

No problem  ;-D

heltenjon

Quote from: Amir on Sun 17/07/2022 19:15:32

No problem  ;-D

Now if only time travel were a thing!

Amir

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 17/07/2022 19:29:36
Quote from: Amir on Sun 17/07/2022 19:15:32

No problem  ;-D

Now if only time travel were a thing!

(laugh) James-Webb may soon discover a wormhole. Then we will turn back time from the AGS website  ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk