Sprite Jam - The Perfect Villain (CLOSED - Winner announced)

Started by Hannah_Banana, Mon 25/07/2022 01:12:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote who should win this Sprite Jam round for the Perfect Villain

Jim Reed - The Flame
3 (42.9%)
Creamy - The Anticommunicator
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: Wed 31/08/2022 02:25:59

Hannah_Banana

VOTE USING POLL ABOVE

- - - - - - - - - - -

Every good adventure game needs a villain - you know, that evil baddie who kidnapped your dog, wants global domination or really likes sharks with lasers on their heads.

In short, the villain is the anti-hero. Who actively opposes the hero driving the plot of your story. They’re usually driven by a compulsion for acts of cruelty, immorality and all around evilness.

This month, your challenge (should you choose to accept it) is to create the perfect villain. Someone truly heinously evil.

Entries are open for 4 weeks (deadline 22nd August) and voting will then be open for 1 week. Entries will be judged on the below three criteria:
Category: How well does the sprite fit into this month’s topic (i.e. perfect villain)?
Uniqueness: How creative or unique is the entry? How much does the villain stand out as an antagonist for the story?
Design: How well is the sprite designed (i.e. overall look, feel, technique - aesthetics)?

Look forward to seeing everyone’s entries…. MWA HA HA HA HA

adanior

This certainly sounds like something I want to do, but I don't think I could really get to it until I'm done with my MAGS entry, provided that pans out. What kind of sprites do you have in mind? In-game pixel arty sprites used for the villain against a background or close-up images for cutscenes? Maybe both?

Hannah_Banana

Quote from: moraux on Mon 25/07/2022 20:17:59
This certainly sounds like something I want to do, but I don't think I could really get to it until I'm done with my MAGS entry, provided that pans out. What kind of sprites do you have in mind? In-game pixel arty sprites used for the villain against a background or close-up images for cutscenes? Maybe both?

Is 22nd August (4 weeks time) doable? If not I can extend the deadline to be a bit longer. Keen for as many entries as possible.

I was thinking full size sprites as you would see in-game, but would not say no to a fun close-up cut scene. So completely open on this one. Take it where you want it!

Hope you get to enter morays, sounds like you might already have a fun idea in mind.

adanior

4 weeks is most certainly doable. When I get going, I tend to work fast. I'm already thinking about repurposing an idea I had for the current MAGS. There may be hints in the thread as to what it is...  :wink: and it may be that I'm interested in proving my worth here to the community as an artist more than a game designer.

Hannah_Banana

Quote from: moraux on Mon 25/07/2022 22:45:42
4 weeks is most certainly doable. When I get going, I tend to work fast. I'm already thinking about repurposing an idea I had for the current MAGS. There may be hints in the thread as to what it is...  :wink: and it may be that I'm interested in proving my worth here to the community as an artist more than a game designer.

I hope you get time to enter! I personally enjoy the art side most too, and always enjoying seeing what people create.

DBoyWheeler

I looked at the intro image and thought "Aw, no Ad Avis?  Or at least Abdul Alhazred (King's Quest 6)?"  Still, good selection of villains to give the idea.  Best of luck to those entering.

Hannah_Banana

Bumping this one up - one week to go! Get your villains in 🦹‍♀️

Creamy

Jim Reed at his usual best: clean, effective and practical.

I put mine in spoiler tags because of the violence involved:

Spoiler

A N T I C O M M U N I C A T O R
Because I need someone to blame for my inability to keep in touch with my friends.
[close]

heltenjon

Creamy, that one is brilliant. You know that you now need to make a time travel game where you have to stop the target of the Anti Communicator phoning his/her friends in order to retroactively prevent the Anti Communicator murdering them.  (nod)

Jim Reed

Nice one Creamy, even with the unprecise medium there's so much tiny details everywhere. This kinda stuff requires patience and a steady hand.

Hannah_Banana

Great entries Jim Reed and Creamy!

Voting now open for one week

Hannah_Banana

Final day to get your votes in. So far we have Jim Reed’s ‘The Flame’ in the lead by 1 point.

Hannah_Banana

Officially declaring Creamy the winner with ‘The Anticommunicator’! Congratulations, would love to see him feature in a game 😂

Over to you to arrange the next one

Creamy

Yeah! Victory on the finishing line  :grin:

But since I'll be running the next Background Blitz, I propose that Jim Reed runs the next Sprite Jam.

Jim Reed

Congrats Creamy!
Lemme think of a theme and I'll host the next one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk