MAGS August “Healing” (VOTING)

Started by Stupot, Wed 03/08/2022 23:33:37

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS August?

Cutman
4 (33.3%)
State of Mind
2 (16.7%)
The Potion Master
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Fri 16/09/2022 05:34:40

Stupot

Healing

Cutman
by GOC Games
State of Mind
by Slasher
The Potion Master
by CaptainD and Kastchey

Currently I’m recovering with Covid-19, which apparently tore through my son’s nursery last week and left a trail of sick staff, kids, and presumably parents, as my wife and I have both been hit (albeit mildly, thank God).

So the theme of August is Healing. Interpret the theme however you want. You could make a game about a personal experience of recovery, or you could go the green option and heal the world. It is entirely up to you.

I normally discourage extra bonus stipulations, as they can limit the scope and result in crowbarred-in content that is only there to tick a box. However, this month I do have one request:

All games must be positive in tone. Hopefully this is inherent in the theme but lets make some feel-good games with a happy/optimistic message.

Deadline: August 31st

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.[/size]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kastchey

Speedy recovery, Stu! Good to hear that you're at least having mild symptoms. Hope your boy is okay.

I'm going to have a little bit of extra time this month so as soon as I'm done with the July entry (whether I finish or not), I'll surely give this one a shot.

DBoyWheeler

Maybe it could be healing one's spirit.  It might start out dark and downer, but you (the hero) turn things around to make things bright and cheery again.  Just a thought.

Slasher

Hi Stupot, I hope you, family and everyone else are fine....

The natural world has all the healing powers we need...of course finding the cure to match the illness may be more difficult...Then again maybe it's all in the mind... Either way you and your family need healing....

I have a few ideas and hope to complete this month....

If anyone want's to join forces by doing a few backgrounds (320 x 200) it would help me a lot....I estimate about 6 in all....

Slasher

adanior

Sorry to hear that you've been struck with Covid, Stupot. I wish this pandemic would end already. Until the 10th, I'll be finishing off a different game, being made as a personal challenge. But back to this, positivity should be hard because I'm actually a rather pessimistic person deep down. Still, I'll try to think of something. Maybe I could instead attempt those backgrounds that Slasher wants. I don't really have any work to show off in regards to pixel art, but am a semi-classically trained artist and could probably provide you with something workable.

adanior

Sorry to double-post. I very briefly teamed up with Slasher before realizing that I actually can't do pixel art to save my life. I think I'll just take the theme of this month 100% literally and use it to make something that I can use to learn the software and workflow of making an adventure game. I'll remove the "I can help with..." stuff from my profile except for play testing, which I can still absolutely do.

CaptainD

I may at long last be doing something for a MAGS again. Watch this space...

Stu - hope you and family have all recovered well.

heltenjon

Quote from: moraux on Mon 08/08/2022 15:20:54
Sorry to double-post. I very briefly teamed up with Slasher before realizing that I actually can't do pixel art to save my life. I think I'll just take the theme of this month 100% literally and use it to make something that I can use to learn the software and workflow of making an adventure game. I'll remove the "I can help with..." stuff from my profile except for play testing, which I can still absolutely do.
It doesn't say anywhere that it has to be pixel art. You may draw/paint something and scan it instead. Play to your strengths! (nod)

Slasher

Hi,

State of mind...

If someone needs healing then there must first be a problem/issue and this guy has a major issue....After one month of Barry staying indoors alone with the sick man blues, Barry eventually decides to ring his friends and ask for their advice. Can the advice they give him really help and solve his depressive state of mind by raising his low vibrations?

Of course, it's not always easy when you are not thinking straight.

A journey into raising your state of mind and bringing peace and harmony...

320 x 200  Left click Interact...Right click Look at......

I'll be waiting for you Capt...  :-D

CaptainD

Kastchey and I are working on a little something...

Slasher

Hiya Capt....

Glad to know you have something cooking  (laugh)

I do hope you get to finishing it...

heltenjon

Pilchard

Looking fantastic CaptainD and Kastchey.

Can’t wait to play - and hopefully heal Zabella, things are looking pretty dire for her in the screenshot!

Slasher

Hi

Progress for: State of mind...

Bedroom 95%
Garden 95%
Guru 80%
Pub 2%

I'm managing to get the job done even though I need full zoom  (laugh)

ddavey1983

Cutman by GOC Games
MAGS Entry (August)

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

The Champ is facing his toughest fight yet and you, as his trusted cutman, must patch him back together between rounds. Get it right and glory shall be yours. Get it wrong and he'll be flat on the canvas...and you'll be looking for a new job.

A short game made in two weeks for Adventure Games Studio MAGS August 2022.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2626-cutman/

Slasher

Boxing game looks cool  (nod)

State of mind...

Barry seeking Guru Sanjay's help when he loses his mojo...

Slasher

Hi,

My entry "State of Mind"...is finished......

** Couple of issues now fixed...

With Kastchey's background art help I was able to complete this game.. My first in months....

Left Click Interact / Right Click Look at.....

Barry has the sick man blues and has lost his mojo.....He is very depressed and has not gone out, eaten or slept properly for weeks.... Can his friends help him raise his vibrations and get a better state of mind? A journey into healing....

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2627-state-of-mind

Barry seeking Guru Sanjay's help when he loses his mojo... Can he help him get it back and end his sick man blues?

heltenjon

Brilliant game, Slasher. That actually raised my spirits, as well. And I think I found a way to filll the vibrations bar without visiting the guru, too.
Spoiler
If you select the record player multiple times before putting on a record, you get a new record of each type every time. Then you can keep putting on the correct record as many times as you have collected records before that option becomes locked.
[close]

It's been too long since my last Slasher game fix. Great to see a new one from you!

Slasher

Slasher

Good catch, heltenjon

I have fixed it (one says with hope  (laugh))

Cheers mate

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk