Question regarding Object.MergeIntoBackground

Started by Pax Animo, Mon 08/08/2022 00:58:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Pax Animo

Eyup,

So, I've been reading into "Object.MergeIntoBackground()"  https://adventuregamestudio.github.io/ags-manual/Object.html#objectmergeintobackground,

I read "By doing this, the object becomes part of the background and so does not slow the game down."

My question is "is this because it's removed from RAM?"

The reason i ask is because I'm playing around with the new (room object cap increase)

Misunderstood

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Pax Animo on Mon 08/08/2022 00:58:01
I read "By doing this, the object becomes part of the background and so does not slow the game down."

The manual contains texts written 15-20 years ago, and some information may no longer make much sense. This is one of those cases. In the past AGS had only software renderer, which did not utilize graphics card, and at the time all computers were slower in general. Today it's no longer a problem.

Also, no, room objects are never removed from the RAM; the above statement refers to drawing a separate thing on screen. While formally it is correct, in practice the effect will not be noticeable.

In fact, I wonder if we may deprecate the function, as its effect may be accomplished by drawing an object's sprite on background using DrawingSurface, and then making an object invisible.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk